PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive wide wheels for my wife

JWDR
11-18-2014, 10:45 PM
I know it's slightly lowbrow on a forum where others post $2000 wheels.

I want to upgrade my wife's wheels on her Synapse 105 level women's bike. Budget is around $300 and must be Shimano 11sp compatible. I am currently looking at Fulcrum 5LG and 7LG from rubble/wiggle/crc. I'm a fan of a slightly wider rims don't really want to consider anything else. She is 115lb/53lg so durability is the biggest concern but in the future I want to be able to steal them off her bike if need be and they not immediately fold under my 185lb/84kg.

Does anyone have opinion on my two listed Fulcrum wheels?

Does anyone have another recommendation for Simano 11sp cocompatible wheels for $300ish or less?

scho74
11-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Velomine has a great selection of H + son Archetype wheels for around 200-300 with 105 or Ultegra 11 speed hubs

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_235_357

thirdgenbird
11-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Those fulcrum wheels are about 21mm wide and they are plenty strong for you. I wouldn't hesitate to ride them offroad and I am also in the 185# ballpark.

11spd shimano to h+s sounds like a great option as well.

beeatnik
11-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Yep, you can't beat that Velomine deal on the Archetypes. I had essentially the same wheelset built up for a budget commuter. Instead of the DT spokes I went with Sapim straight gauge but the weight, build and ride are probably identical. Even with killer deals on the hubs and rims, I was still in for $270. Not sure how Velomine/QBP make money on these suckers.

rwsaunders
11-19-2014, 07:44 AM
A riding bud purcahsed a 105/Archetype set of wheels from Velomine for a little over $200. I took a look at them when he mounted the tires and they seemed to be true and suited his purpose.

My only advice would be to check the spoke tension if you decide to purchase from them as 3-4 of the spokes on the rear drive side wheel became loose after a few rides. He's not good with maintence either so he may be headed to the lbs for a check-up. Add that cost to the price of the wheels.

eippo1
11-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Yep, you can't beat that Velomine deal on the Archetypes. I had essentially the same wheelset built up for a budget commuter. Instead of the DT spokes I went with Sapim straight gauge but the weight, build and ride are probably identical. Even with killer deals on the hubs and rims, I was still in for $270. Not sure how Velomine/QBP make money on these suckers.

Completely agree with the recommendations so far for that deal on the Archetypes. I got a set from Velomine, but sold them when I went the disc route and had my shop build up a set w/ that rim. The ones from Velomine, looked great and seemed to be perfectly true. Sold them to ebaumann, so he might be able to weigh in on the exact wheels. My experiences with the rim have been very positive as it has made a great wheel.

druptight
11-19-2014, 07:52 AM
I bought the 10 speed era velomine Archetypes laced to 105 hubs a year or so ago. They were great for the 1000ish miles I put on them, never had to true them. I've since relaced the rims to some campy hubs, can't beat the price.

They come sealed direct from the factory, so they're not handbuilt by anyone at velomine. Not sure if they're handbuilt or machine built, but I had no problems.

marsh
11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
I'm about to jettison the Ultegra/A23 wheelset I got from Velomine.
Had to completely re-tension the entire rear wheel twice, and it still comes out of true constantly. Had the same issue with a lightly used track wheelset from them. Maybe fine for a lighter rider, but my fat ass (~200lbs) will never get a wheel from them again.

rwsaunders
11-19-2014, 08:34 AM
A little humor for the OP...perhaps consider modifying the your title of "....wide wheels for my wife"..:cool:

buck-50
11-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Ditto the Archetype/ultegra 11 wheels from velomine- super cheap, great wheels.

8aaron8
11-19-2014, 08:58 AM
When I read the post I was going to suggest the choices on velomine as well but was beat by 12 people. Can't beat the price on their wheels and great combinations to be had.

oldguy00
11-19-2014, 09:05 AM
One other option:
1. Buy a set of decent rims like HED Belgiums, or something a bit cheaper if needed.
2. buy a set of hubs like 105 or Ultegra
3. Buy spokes as needed (nothing fancy, just DT Double butted, brass nips).
4. Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-3rd-Jobst-Brandt/dp/0960723668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416409412&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wheel+book+jobst

Build.

All joking aside, building basic wheels really isn't that hard, kind of relaxing in front of a TV with a beer. Take your time and get it right, that way you don't have to rely on anyone else for their expertise (or lack of). You'll end up with a better quality wheelset for your money.

I've built about 8 pair of wheels now, all simply from using Jobst's book as a reference. My weight has ranged from 170 - 190 pounds, none of the wheels have ever come out of true, no spokes loosened. Honestly, I think most of the time when spokes come loose, it is because the builder rushed and didn't get it right.

buck-50
11-19-2014, 12:55 PM
One other option:
1. Buy a set of decent rims like HED Belgiums, or something a bit cheaper if needed.
2. buy a set of hubs like 105 or Ultegra
3. Buy spokes as needed (nothing fancy, just DT Double butted, brass nips).
4. Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-3rd-Jobst-Brandt/dp/0960723668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416409412&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wheel+book+jobst

Build.

All joking aside, building basic wheels really isn't that hard, kind of relaxing in front of a TV with a beer. Take your time and get it right, that way you don't have to rely on anyone else for their expertise (or lack of). You'll end up with a better quality wheelset for your money.

I've built about 8 pair of wheels now, all simply from using Jobst's book as a reference. My weight has ranged from 170 - 190 pounds, none of the wheels have ever come out of true, no spokes loosened. Honestly, I think most of the time when spokes come loose, it is because the builder rushed and didn't get it right.

I thought about building a set, but I couldn't actually get the parts cheaper than I could buy the wheels pre-built... Not sure how Velomine pulls it off. Also, ordered them on a thursday and they were at my house friday with free shipping. crazy.

JWDR
11-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately Velomine does not ship to APO addresses so those are off the table.

I've built wheels for myself when I was a mechanic, so I'm not scared of it. As stated above the cost for buying the parts to build exceeded the price of complete wheels.

So I'm back to looking at the Fulcrum 5lg wheeler for about $250

Bruce K
11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
I hate to say it but Psimet Wheels offers low priced, wide rim options

Hubs are pretty smooth and fast but on the cheap end of things. Rims are generally rebadged and spokes are your choice (alters price)

BK

donevwil
11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
If you would consider used look at some HED Ardennes. They've been around for years so there are a lot out there. For my wife I recently picked up a set of used GPs for $250 off Craigslist, they looked virtually new when I got them.

chairmandave
11-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately Velomine does not ship to APO addresses so those are off the table.

I've built wheels for myself when I was a mechanic, so I'm not scared of it. As stated above the cost for buying the parts to build exceeded the price of complete wheels.

So I'm back to looking at the Fulcrum 5lg wheeler for about $250

How about a DIY build kit?
http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20WHEELS.asp

Priced from $230 (20/24) to $250 (28/32) using Kinlin XC-279 rims and Novatec hubs. Ships free from Taiwan.

scho74
11-19-2014, 05:11 PM
I would say get the fulcrum 5 lg wheels then. I'm looking at a set myself!

oldpotatoe
11-20-2014, 06:36 AM
How about a DIY build kit?
http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20WHEELS.asp

Priced from $230 (20/24) to $250 (28/32) using Kinlin XC-279 rims and Novatec hubs. Ships free from Taiwan.

That's intriguing. Yes, low digit, no name parts(except for Sapim, if they are Sapim), free ship..give to a decent wheelbuilder, pay some $ for build, decent wheelset....

dk2ck
11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Those hard ano Archetypes with Ultegra hubs look like a great deal, thanks for sharing. Does anyone here have previous experience ordering from velomine? (Or with the hard ano Archetypes? I've only read about the black/silver rims).

thirdgenbird
11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I've ordered from velomine and had a very good experience. I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

buck-50
11-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Those hard ano Archetypes with Ultegra hubs look like a great deal, thanks for sharing. Does anyone here have previous experience ordering from velomine? (Or with the hard ano Archetypes? I've only read about the black/silver rims).

Ordered from them and have 2 sets of hard anno archetypes. First set I had built locally, the rims have about 3k miles on them and the brake tracks barely look worn at all. Second set I ordered from Velomine, they arrived at my house the day after I ordered them and they're well built and looking good.

It's also pretty cool that the hard anno and the ultegra hub are basically the same color.

One thing that's awesome about the hard anno rims is that the stickers are black instead of white which is really nice if you prefer things to be subtle.

Shoeman
11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Check with Brandon @ Bike Hub Store.com

xeladragon
11-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I've ordered two wheelsets from Velomine... wouldn't hesitate to give them more of my business. The "mid-range" wheelsets (e.g., 6800 hubs, Archetype rims, DT Comp spokes, 32x F/R) are pre-built by someone else. Some of the pricier options (WI T11 hubs, 24/28H, Archetype rims) are hand-built when ordered.