PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Tech Specs.......

Len J
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Here is a link to the on-line technical specs for the new SRAM road group.

http://www.sram.com/de/service/sram/tech_specs.php

Len

Smiley
03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
LenJ , my plan is to have my Hors re-painted by Serotta and re-outfitted with this grouppo . I will have my Uniscasi road bike equipped with Ultegra 10 so I will be up to par with new stuff by next fall.

Too Tall
03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Where is James Earl Jones when you need him?
Looks GREAT.

Len J
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
LenJ , my plan is to have my Hors re-painted by Serotta and re-outfitted with this grouppo . I will have my Uniscasi road bike equipped with Ultegra 10 so I will be up to par with new stuff by next fall.

What kind of paint scheme?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my Ottrott.....(I will have it repained first), and stumbled acrossthe tech specs, thought I'd share.

A few interesting observations.

-will handle up to 28 tooth cog.
-FD will handle up to 15 tooth difference.

Len

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Am I the only one who has zero interest in a Sram road kit?

-g

Wayne77
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM

-g

The shifters look like the DA10 shifters' red-headed step child. A knockoff of a shifter set that didn't look that great in the first place, IMO.

Len J
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM

-g

that there is more competition.......I think it's good for us consumers.

Len

sspielman
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM

-g

I am having trouble understanding the excitement as well. Ever the cynic, here is how I see it: SRAM started out making Gripshift....at some point they bought the Sachs bicycle component division (primarily to get the superior Sachs MTB shifter off the market). Sachs offered a couple of road gruppos, the better being "New Success". One of the first things that SRAM did after acquiring the Sachs component division was to DISCONTINUE the road gruppos. This was a sad end to several venerable old European companies that had fallen under the umbrella-Maillard and Huret. At the time, road bike sales were at a low...and MTB sales were all the rage for the bean counters. Now the situation is reversed...and SRAM has "rediscovered" road components. I am always interested in competition and components that are a bit different, but this company's roots run shallow. What I expect them to offer is a highly hyped Ultegra-quality gruppo...made in Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam or China...and they will pretend that it is a true alternative to Record or Dura Ace. It will work pretty well, but won't be particularly durable. It will find its way onto alot of production bikes because it will be cheap to produce. It's hard to get excited about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 02:25 PM

Len

Yes, that's good. I only meant the comment in that i'm somewhat
surprised myself that the Sram stuff stirs no emotion in me at all.
I think their XO mtn stuff is way cool, (and I used to be a shimano
mtb diehard.) So we'll see what happens. I was fortunate to be
at interbike in the fall, and saw the Force stuff in the display.
It seemed to me at the time that it's a fairly unrevolutionary
entry into an already crowded road market. I didn't really see
what the "fuss" was all about. I think it would be interesting
to see the mainstream bike brands spec more Campagnolo, as trek,
Cannondale, and Specialized seem afraid to do so. I bet there
will be lots of Sram spec. when it's ready. ATMO.

-g

Len J
03-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I am having trouble understanding the excitement as well. Ever the cynic, here is how I see it: SRAM started out making Gripshift....at some point they bought the Sachs bicycle component division (primarily to get the superior Sachs MTB shifter off the market). Sachs offered a couple of road gruppos, the better being "New Success". One of the first things that SRAM did after acquiring the Sachs component division was to DISCONTINUE the road gruppos. This was a sad end to several venerable old European companies that had fallen under the umbrella-Maillard and Huret. At the time, road bike sales were at a low...and MTB sales were all the rage for the bean counters. Now the situation is reversed...and SRAM has "rediscovered" road components. I am always interested in competition and components that are a bit different, but this company's roots run shallow. What I expect them to offer is a highly hyped Ultegra-quality gruppo...made in Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam or China...and they will pretend that it is a true alternative to Record or Dura Ace. It will work pretty well, but won't be particularly durable. It will find its way onto alot of production bikes because it will be cheap to produce. It's hard to get excited about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....

If the market doesn't grow, then their entry will weaken either Shimano or Campy or probably both.......at a minimum, it should force both Companies to step up their game. Campy, for one, hasn't really innovated, that I can see, since 10 speed.....just more carbon. It will at least be interesting to watch.

Len

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 02:46 PM
If the market doesn't grow, then their entry will weaken either Shimano or Campy or probably both.......at a minimum, it should force both Companies to step up their game. Campy, for one, hasn't really innovated, that I can see, since 10 speed.....just more carbon. It will at least be interesting to watch.

Len

I'm looking forward to seeing Campy '007. Rumors of new cranks, new brakes,
and maybe more goodies. My guess is they have been holding back
some things so these other guys won't get the spotlight to themselves
next year.

-g

bluesea
03-22-2006, 02:50 PM

Len

Not necessarily good. If it takes off at a slightly lower pricepoint, it will hurt Campy. They could be forced to compromise quality and/or polish and finish etc. I don't care about prices and competition; I'm for a strong Campy.

bluesea
03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Campy '007. Rumors of new cranks, new brakes,
and maybe more goodies. My guess is they have been holding back
some things so these other guys won't get the spotlight to themselves
next year.

-g

Too much change too fast is not good--that's never been Campy's way.

mike p
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Yes, that's good. I only meant the comment in that i'm somewhat
surprised myself that the Sram stuff stirs no emotion in me at all.
I think their XO mtn stuff is way cool, (and I used to be a shimano
mtb diehard.) So we'll see what happens. I was fortunate to be
at interbike in the fall, and saw the Force stuff in the display.
It seemed to me at the time that it's a fairly unrevolutionary
entry into an already crowded road market. I didn't really see
what the "fuss" was all about. I think it would be interesting
to see the mainstream bike brands spec more Campagnolo, as trek,
Cannondale, and Specialized seem afraid to do so. I bet there
will be lots of Sram spec. when it's ready. ATMO.

-g

'entry into an already crowded road market'

WTH - shimano and campy! thats crowded!

Mike

mike p
03-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Not necessarily good. If it takes off at a slightly lower pricepoint, it will hurt Campy. They could be forced to compromise quality and/or polish and finish etc. I don't care about prices and competition; I'm for a strong Campy.

This is a joke right?

Mike

sspielman
03-23-2006, 06:44 AM

Len

I hope that Campy isn't inspired to innovate too much. I am pretty happy with the state of components these days...

saab2000
03-23-2006, 08:12 AM
I hope that Campy isn't inspired to innovate too much. I am pretty happy with the state of components these days...

I feel pretty much the same way. I don't know what I would do to either groupset, other than fine tuning. The new Record chain for 2006 seems to be a worthwhile evolution. I can imagine a new crank/BB for Campagnolo, but mostly as it is needed from a marketing standpoint.

Oh, and bring out a larger range of cassettes. Like Chorus 11-21, 12-21, 12-23, etc. Shimano seems have a much broader range of available cassettes.

On the other hand, in the mid-80s Campagnolo was bringing out no innovation other than cosmetic changes and just about lost the way to Shimano. I doubt they will make that same mistake twice. Most of their stuff is as good as it gets, especially their wheels.

Too Tall
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
If SRAM proves as useful and functional as their Mtn. components than my hope is that they hurt NOONE and simply fill a niche. From past experience with their stuff I am always amazed at how considerate and tolerant their products are of hard use with little maintenence. It ain't beautiful however it works extremely well. The 1:1 cable pull is magic when you consider what that brings to the table in terms of things you won't have to fuss with and things you might be able to accomplish. Too true, Brevet riders comprise a tiny segment of riders however when you are riding 2 bazillion miles a year you are left with precious little time for bike maintenence and often riding in pure hell for conditions so it is a comfort to ride equipment that is very tolerant of this....SRAM is looking to be the right stuff. Just one tall man's opinion.

PS - Campy and Shimano rawk....in Paris. Clinchers Suk. Bring out your dead.