PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Starting Strength/Stronglifts 5x5

Nooch
11-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Just curious if anyone has experience with these programs. They were always lauded over on VWVortex (since we've been talking so much JSW around here lately) and I've always been interested in the program, never committed though.

This year, I'm all in. Just need to find a buddy to help me out with the form aspect..

Starting Strength (http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416335854&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength)
Stronglifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/)

MattTuck
11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Hey Nooch,

I'm not an expert, or an experienced strength trainer, so take this for what it is. A novice's opinion.

1.) Form is important as you add weight, so as you rightly pointed out, that should be a high priority before you get started if you decide on either of these programs.

2.) After doing a course of PT earlier this year which involved a lot of unilateral and asymmetric exercises, I'm much more a fan of those than of things like squats and dead lifts. I'm sure the squats and dead lifts make you stronger, and allow you to squat and dead lift heavier and heavier weights. But I think the stabilizing requirements of your core and secondary muscles during unilateral exercises results in better functional strength.

3.) Good luck! God knows, since winter seems to be setting in early, we'll all be figuring out our winter fitness strategy soon enough.

spacemen3
11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
I'd recommend giving it a try. Stronglifts works well because you start with the bar and the gradual weight increase gives you plenty of time to focus on proper form and to develop the necessary stabilizing muscles. I found it difficult to do my regular aerobic activities during the program, however, but that's not all that surprising. :)

jmoore
11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
another option:

http://www.esquire.com/features/fitness-program-0414?click=main_sr

93legendti
11-18-2014, 02:36 PM
I haven't tried that specific program, but when I was lifting, I loved 5x5 sets/reps. My body responded really well to it and eventually I could bench 2x my weight. As with anything I would plateau and switch to pyramids for a while.

As a cyclist, I am not sure 5 sets of 5 reps is the best, other than maybe for squats, and depending upon your body type. Ti Designs is the guy to ask about sets and reps for legs.

o2dazone
11-18-2014, 02:59 PM
I started lifting with Starting Strength. It eases you into it nicely, and keeps you from hurting yourself. I didn't stick with it because I'm lazy, but I felt like I was getting my times worth

rcnute
11-18-2014, 05:53 PM
I did the Rippetoe programe this summer awhile before our kid came along and it worked (in terms of adding weight to the bar) except my lower back was starting to feel it from heavy (for me, anyway) squats each workout. Stronglifts took too much out of me.

Ryan

Netdewt
11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
I want to do something like this over the winter also. Thanks for the links - so far was just hoping to find a friend.

MattTuck
11-19-2014, 09:03 AM
another option:

http://www.esquire.com/features/fitness-program-0414?click=main_sr

That looks like a great (if a little off beat) program for mobility. I may need to add some of those movements to my routine.

rugbysecondrow
11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I disagree with number 2. Squat and DL are not only basic functional strength movements, but also work the body chain, from the top down. The core is an integral part of both movements, so much so that if you ignore it or do not account for it, you will hurt yourself. It attaches the top and the bottom together. You cannot be strong without strong legs, they are the foundation.

I am a fan of the squat and the DL, not only because you will get stronger, but because it works your joints. Ankles, hips, knees, shoulders all get a mobility workout in addition to the muscles involved.

My favorite movement is the Overhead Squat. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/overhead-squat It is a full body movement that requires coordination and engagement throughout. Also, if your core breaks down, you will not be successful at all in moving the weight, where as you can move weight with poor form in the DL and back squat.

I like the 5x5 and Rippitoe is legit as well. Check out Mike Burgener here: http://www.mikesgym.org/programs/index.php?show=program&programID=46

Not the cleanest website, but I know quite a few people who have followed his programs for squat and have gotten quite a bit stronger.

Getting stronger is fun, so enjoy the journey and do not rush the process. Remember, there is no such thing as over training, just under recovery. :)

Hey Nooch,

2.) After doing a course of PT earlier this year which involved a lot of unilateral and asymmetric exercises, I'm much more a fan of those than of things like squats and dead lifts. I'm sure the squats and dead lifts make you stronger, and allow you to squat and dead lift heavier and heavier weights. But I think the stabilizing requirements of your core and secondary muscles during unilateral exercises results in better functional strength.

Here is the thing, are you a cyclist or a fit guy who cycles? I can't speak to what is best for cycling, but I can speak to picking up little kids, toys, yard work, suitcases, groceries etc...the real stuff in life. DL and Squat will certainly aid in life and will help you stay strong and help ward off injury, which will help you cycle more.

I haven't tried that specific program, but when I was lifting, I loved 5x5 sets/reps. My body responded really well to it and eventually I could bench 2x my weight. As with anything I would plateau and switch to pyramids for a while.

As a cyclist, I am not sure 5 sets of 5 reps is the best, other than maybe for squats, and depending upon your body type. Ti Designs is the guy to ask about sets and reps for legs.

Dr Luxurious
11-19-2014, 01:06 PM
FWIW This is close to what I used to do.

https://kurtkinetic.com/blog/posts/eric-wohlbergs-quotolympicquot-off-season-workout/

Worked very well for me (but it requires a good chunk of time).

MattTuck
11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I disagree with number 2. Squat and DL are not only basic functional strength movements, but also work the body chain, from the top down. The core is an integral part of both movements, so much so that if you ignore it or do not account for it, you will hurt yourself. It attaches the top and the bottom together. You cannot be strong without strong legs, they are the foundation.

I am a fan of the squat and the DL, not only because you will get stronger, but because it works your joints. Ankles, hips, knees, shoulders all get a mobility workout in addition to the muscles involved.

My favorite movement is the Overhead Squat. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/overhead-squat It is a full body movement that requires coordination and engagement throughout. Also, if your core breaks down, you will not be successful at all in moving the weight, where as you can move weight with poor form in the DL and back squat.

I don't think there is any logical inconsistency to thinking both that the exercises in question will build strength and thinking that the series of exercises in the 5x5 program is too limited.

This video is anti-cross fit (which I realize has been hashed out), but explains my issue with the exercises in the 5x5 program. They're all symmetric. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f5CmqpybODk#t=199)

I too do overhead squats when I'm training, and I believe there is a place for that type of strength training. But I also think you need to look for functional patterns as well. To me, 5x5, do these exercises, add weight each time and you'll be fine, is too much like a miracle solution. too good to be true.

JAGI410
11-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm doing SL 5x5 currently. I had never lifted before prior to this. Started with the bar and followed the free app. Made it to 180lbs on the squat and something in my knee said no/stop/ouch. I took a few weeks off to de-load and work on my form, which certainly matters a hell of a lot more with more weight! Now I'm back at it, and realizing that warm ups and patience are very important! It's not the same 20 minute workout it was in the beginning. Now it's closer to 45 minutes. Do cardio afterwards if there's anything left in the tank!

I struggle with the overhead press still, but it's getting better.

Overall I recommend the program. Just don't rush things!

fatallightning
11-19-2014, 01:57 PM
I do it every off season, also load with creatine. I'll start after this weekends cross race. I'm happy with progress, form is important though. Especially the squat. I usually will sumo deadlift because I have bad knee/ankle mobility. My upper body workout weights are a joke haha. I have problems with doing power cleans, that is probably the most form sensitive lift in the program. I usually will do single leg presses on a sled instead, ballisitically, which is a more cycling specific workout. I'll usually also end sumo deadlift days with box jumps.

Nooch
11-19-2014, 02:19 PM
I do it every off season, also load with creatine. I'll start after this weekends cross race. I'm happy with progress, form is important though. Especially the squat. I usually will sumo deadlift because I have bad knee/ankle mobility. My upper body workout weights are a joke haha. I have problems with doing power cleans, that is probably the most form sensitive lift in the program. I usually will do single leg presses on a sled instead, ballisitically, which is a more cycling specific workout. I'll usually also end sumo deadlift days with box jumps.

I've gotta drag you out to Retro and have you spot my form!

rugbysecondrow
11-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't think there is any logical inconsistency to thinking both that the exercises in question will build strength and thinking that the series of exercises in the 5x5 program is too limited.

This video is anti-cross fit (which I realize has been hashed out), but explains my issue with the exercises in the 5x5 program. They're all symmetric. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f5CmqpybODk#t=199)

I too do overhead squats when I'm training, and I believe there is a place for that type of strength training. But I also think you need to look for functional patterns as well. To me, 5x5, do these exercises, add weight each time and you'll be fine, is too much like a miracle solution. too good to be true.

My man, that video is rubbish. First, this is not a crossfit discussion, but if it were, that guy would be skewered because he is arguing against the boogie man.

Second, if you think the 5x5 is a miracle solution, then I suggest you try something like it. It is not a magic elixir, there will be much hard work and effort. Absolutely not the easy way out. I would suggest something with a bouncy ball and some 25# dumbbells for the easy way out. Furthermore, we are talking about very basic functional movements: Squat, DL, Press, Row and Bench. Basic pulling and pushing, full body exercises. Movements which recruit muscles and coordination from the whole body. Movements which are time tested to make people stronger. To say that these movements are not functional is just not accurate. They should be the foundation of a strength training program.

This workout is only three days a week, which means you have four other days to work on mobility, KBs, lunges, single leg DL, running...pretty much anything else. Even during the same 5x5, three movements should take 30 minutes, which leaves plenty of time to do other stuff on the same day.

I can bench and overhead squat in the mid 200's, squat and DL in the mid 300's, and still run a 6:30 mile, and be competitive in a sprint triathlon tomorrow. I say this because for me, strength is meant to enhance other facets of activity and life, and these basic movements play a huge role in that.

If folks are happy doing what they are doing and getting the results they have gotten, then I am happy for them. If you are not, and you think you can improve, then why not try adding these classic movements to your routine?

herb5998
11-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Great explanation rugby, I'm also a big Starting Strength believer. Learn the barbell movements and stick to the program and recover and you will still be strong on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatallightning
11-19-2014, 11:24 PM
I've gotta drag you out to Retro and have you spot my form!

I lift at the Retro in Taapan

rugbysecondrow
11-23-2014, 06:35 AM
An interesting add to this discussion, completely anecdotal of course, but pertinent as it relates to the symmetrical vs. asymmetrical movement. I love all types of fitness activities and challenges, so I competed in my first International Kettlebell Lifting Federation competition this weekend. My two events were the double half snatch and the single jerk. I train with KBs some (mostly swings to warm up and turkish get up) , but more so with barbells and plates (much of the 5x5 movements) as well as some olympic lifts. After the events this weekend, I ranked semi-pro (could compete at the state level) in the double snatch, a more symmetrical movement. I ranked elite (could compete at the national or international level) in the single jerk, a more asymmetrical movement.

Anecdotally, this tells me that a foundation of strength built on a bedrock of sound movements (such as the 5x5) can provide the backbone and strength needed to excel and improve in other functional areas as well.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/b3bea7728fd3025973a766d2927680d7.jpg

stephenmarklay
11-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Hey Nooch,

I'm not an expert, or an experienced strength trainer, so take this for what it is. A novice's opinion.

Unilateral work has its merits. Stabilization (proprioception) training was all the rage about back around 2007-2009. That is why you started seeing all of those people standing on a Bosu ball doing everything from squats to curls.

The truth is squats and deadlifts are about as functional as it gets.

MattTuck
11-23-2014, 04:15 PM
An interesting add to this discussion, completely anecdotal of course, but pertinent as it relates to the symmetrical vs. asymmetrical movement. I love all types of fitness activities and challenges, so I competed in my first International Kettlebell Lifting Federation competition this weekend. My two events were the double half snatch and the single jerk. I train with KBs some (mostly swings to warm up and turkish get up) , but more so with barbells and plates (much of the 5x5 movements) as well as some olympic lifts. After the events this weekend, I ranked semi-pro (could compete at the state level) in the double snatch, a more symmetrical movement. I ranked elite (could compete at the national or international level) in the single jerk, a more asymmetrical movement.

Anecdotally, this tells me that a foundation of strength built on a bedrock of sound movements (such as the 5x5) can provide the backbone and strength needed to excel and improve in other functional areas as well.

Congratulations Paul, that is truly impressive. :banana:

stephenmarklay
11-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Congratulations Paul, that is truly impressive. :banana:

Yep. Great work. I try to be balanced but rarely achieve it.

teleguy57
11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I ranked semi-pro (could compete at the state level) in the double snatch, a more symmetrical movement. I ranked elite (could compete at the national or international level) in the single jerk, a more asymmetrical movement.

Well done. And I do agree on functional strength as a base. I've been noodling on what strength stuff to do this winter and this thread has been helpful -- decided to do the SL5x5 for 13 weeks and go from there.

Anyone have experience with adding in other stuff on the alternating days and the impact on the ability to progress on the base program? When I start something I have a tendency to over do the training and under doing the recovery :no:

JAGI410
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Do a good warmup, bang out the 5x5, and supplement with some cardio afterwards if you feel like it. Get the free app, and sign up for Mehdi's emails. There's been some great Info and motivational stories.

teleguy57
11-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Do a good warmup, bang out the 5x5, and supplement with some cardio afterwards if you feel like it. Get the free app, and sign up for Mehdi's emails. There's been some great Info and motivational stories.

Did both, thanks. The app is really well done and helps me do the workouts without any wasted time.

I was thinking about doing kettlebells and perhaps roller workouts on the days between SL workouts.

rugbysecondrow
11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Well done. And I do agree on functional strength as a base. I've been noodling on what strength stuff to do this winter and this thread has been helpful -- decided to do the SL5x5 for 13 weeks and go from there.

Anyone have experience with adding in other stuff on the alternating days and the impact on the ability to progress on the base program? When I start something I have a tendency to over do the training and under doing the recovery :no:

I am a big fan of body weight exercises, so I would incorporate those into the routine. Pushups, pull ups, air squats, lunges, dips etc. Mix in a combo of pushing and pulling movements as that seems to add balance.

I also like the KB as it really mimics real life functional needs (grocery sacks, suitcases, baby carrier, briefcase, carrying your bike, etc.

Lastly, try something that you wouldn't normally do. Row, run, jump rope, yoga etc. The great thing about fitness is that once you establish a base level of it, you can participate in so many activities and really get a great feel for life.

Cheers

Nooch
01-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Figured I'd swing back here for an update :)

In my eighth week of the stronglifts program and moving right along. before/current pictures show definition and a little slimming/toning, and I'm sitting at the same weight (unfortunately) as when I started -- that said, I haven't done a lick of cardio, so I guess you could say i'm "bulking," lol.

At present I'm at 150lb squat, 95lb overhead press, 190 lb deadlift, 95lb bench press, and 115lb barbell row.

MattTuck
01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I took Paul's advice, and started this program also. I am doing it with dumbells, however, and have reached the maximum I can do on the squat because of my weak arms supporting the dumbells.

I wish there were a version of this program that worked better for dumbells.

fiamme red
01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
At present I'm at 150lb squat, 95lb overhead press, 190 lb deadlift, 95lb bench press, and 115lb barbell row.Your bench press should be higher than your overhead press.

Nooch
01-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Your bench press should be higher than your overhead press.

Starting at the same weight, adding 5lbs per workout, technically my bench press on Friday will be 100, followed by the same for the OH Press next monday.. why do you say the bench should be higher if I started from the same place?

fiamme red
01-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Starting at the same weight, adding 5lbs per workout, technically my bench press on Friday will be 100, followed by the same for the OH Press next monday.. why do you say the bench should be higher if I started from the same place?Why would you start bench press and overhead press at the same weight? If you do that, you're undertraining your chest. Everyone should be able to lift more on the bench press than on the overhead press.

I admit that I'm not familiar with the Stronglifts program, so maybe it specifies to use the same weight for both.

MattTuck
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Why would you start bench press and overhead press at the same weight? If you do that, you're undertraining your chest.

I admit that I'm not familiar with the Stronglifts program, so maybe it specifies to use the same weight for both.

Basically, you start at the same weight for all exercises (empty bar), and are adding 5 pounds each workout. If you fail on 5x5, you repeat the same weight next time. Squats progress faster because you do them every workout. over head press, bench press, row all get worked every other workout. dead left is every other work out also, but I think it adds 10 pounds each time.

Nooch
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Why would you start bench press and overhead press at the same weight? If you do that, you're undertraining your chest. Everyone should be able to lift more on the bench press than on the overhead press.

Yeah, Fiamme -- It starts you off with the bar for both movements. Eventually, you'll fail (I'm feeling that I'm coming close to failure on the OH Press) at which point you continue the same weight for a couple workouts until you complete the 5x5. If you don't then you dial it back a little and keep going. I'm sure the bench will exceed the OH eventually, but as a means of training form, the plan starts off with the 45lb bar.

Edit: What Matt said :)

rugbysecondrow
01-23-2015, 07:53 AM
I took Paul's advice, and started this program also. I am doing it with dumbells, however, and have reached the maximum I can do on the squat because of my weak arms supporting the dumbells.

I wish there were a version of this program that worked better for dumbells.

How are you holding the dumbells? Is it your arms or grip giving way? When I started lifting more weights, I realized my grip needed improvement.

MattTuck
01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
How are you holding the dumbells? Is it your arms or grip giving way? When I started lifting more weights, I realized my grip needed improvement.

So, I have no idea if this is legit. I spent a lot of time researching squat form from a lot of different sources (many of the links that came up in this and similar threads). And decided that a big part of the squat form was where the bar was, and keeping the upper back tight, and the chest, head and eyes up so as to maintain a neutral spine. I have been holding the dumbells in a position as if they were a barbell. So wresting half the dumbell on my outer upper back, and supporting the rest of the weight with my grip and with my arms.

I can grip it fine, I'm up to 45 pounds per hand, but it puts a lot of stress on the arms, especially if I then have to do bench or overhead press. It is a bit of a moot point, because the gym in my building only goes up to 50 pound dumbells anyway.

So if I want to progress, I'm going to have to find a legit gym, and that will have a barbell.

rugbysecondrow
01-23-2015, 10:28 AM
http://www.moonfighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dumbbell-Standing-Front-Squat-622x4851.png

http://exercises.youtrain.me.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/Wide-stance-goblet-squat-622x485.png

I would try one of these two. The top one allows your shoulders to help rest the weight. The bottom is a goblet, great for heavier DB, but you said yours top out at 50 so it might not be good for you.

If you are getting too strong, you might need a legit gym with heavier weights and a squat rack.

fiamme red
01-23-2015, 10:34 AM
So, I have no idea if this is legit. I spent a lot of time researching squat form from a lot of different sources (many of the links that came up in this and similar threads). And decided that a big part of the squat form was where the bar was, and keeping the upper back tight, and the chest, head and eyes up so as to maintain a neutral spine. I have been holding the dumbells in a position as if they were a barbell. So wresting half the dumbell on my outer upper back, and supporting the rest of the weight with my grip and with my arms.

I can grip it fine, I'm up to 45 pounds per hand, but it puts a lot of stress on the arms, especially if I then have to do bench or overhead press. It is a bit of a moot point, because the gym in my building only goes up to 50 pound dumbells anyway.

So if I want to progress, I'm going to have to find a legit gym, and that will have a barbell.I do dumbbell squats holding them down my sides. I stand on an elevated platform (I think intended for step aerobics) to be able to squat deeper without the dumbbells hitting the floor.

MattTuck
03-19-2015, 01:40 PM
What do you guys do when you start riding more outside?

Specifically, I've been trying to stick to this 3 sessions / week, but I think that will have to change when I start riding outside.

Do you guys drop strength training to 2 days per week? stick with 3, but do lighter weights? What about lifting/riding on the same day?

Thanks.

malcolm
03-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Specifically, I've been trying to stick to this 3 sessions / week, but I think that will have to change when I start riding outside.

Do you guys drop strength training to 2 days per week? stick with 3, but do lighter weights? What about lifting/riding on the same day?

Thanks.

I continue to lift 3-5 days per week. If I'm riding a lot or training for something I'll drop the squats or legs almost entirely. I'm not a racer and not really interested in anything other than overall health and fun on the bike so what I do may not apply to you.

zap
03-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Squats to end of February and that's it until November. I do try to ride hard and fast and if I get into reasonable shape, will entertain a race or two.

MattTuck
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
I continue to lift 3-5 days per week. If I'm riding a lot or training for something I'll drop the squats or legs almost entirely. I'm not a racer and not really interested in anything other than overall health and fun on the bike so what I do may not apply to you.

Ok, that makes sense. Yes, I do not race. But general fitness is important. I do blast my legs though, most days that I lift. So I'd have to tone down my list of exercises on days that I'm riding in order to not die.

fatallightning
03-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Thanks.

I drop to once a week once I'm racing. I'm usually racing 2x a week in season and doing sprint/HITT in between. I can't recover from the workload of race pace stress, intervals and lifting heavy more then once a week.

03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
I've trained a lot of riders with all of the above weights systems, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I'd say that Starting Strength is probably the best core program for lifting weights for athletic strength. It's by far the most popular among national and worlds' level track riders. The focus is on strength rather than building aerobic capacity using weights, but the main point of Starting Strength is how to gain strength with substantial weights without substantial risk, i.e., how to lift properly and safely. It focuses on how to avoid all the lifting issues that make people critical of dead lifts or squats, and while it's very popular in crossfit circles, it tends to disavow some of the approaches that pop up in crossfit boxes with some regularity.

I'm not out to damn crossfit. It's just that there are so many crossfit coaches out there and so little training, and the approach sometimes gets out of hand. Find a good crossfit gym and you can get a good safe workout. In others, you don't get good coaching on form, you hurt yourself, and the environment isn't necessarily good. That's no different from going into a real bodybuilders' gym and having them mess with you too -- what I like about Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe is that it's effective and safe and well thought out. You don't have to be going for 1X Max lifts every week, but it takes care of you if you want to build that kind of strength.

I'd reiterate briefly what was said above about how you shouldn't be skeptical of deadlifts, squats, and the like. Most people don't do them right and injure themselves. Done right they strengthen your joints, connective tissues, and muscles, and make you more resistant to injury both in the gym and on the bike. Plus of course they can make you a lot stronger. The lifts get blamed for the ignorance or simple stupidity of the lifters.

I'd suggest you start with Rippetoe's Starting Strength, 3rd edition, and perhaps the DVD that goes along with it. Read and learn a bit. Then absolutely get a coach to start with. It's vital. Book learning does not equate to coaching when it comes to weightlifting. Rippetoe tours the country and you might get a weekend with him, but do be forewarned -- he's crazy. Here's a video of Mark on the subject of cyclists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iL7DdAKnAc

I'd also suggest you google around for some of the better websites. There's a ton of info on the web for weightlifting -- half good, half bad. Don't go equipment crazy -- I wouldn't start with knee sleeves, wraps, belts, and so on. You need to decide on what stance works for you before getting shoes so while I'm a big advocate of weightlifting shoes over squishy running shoes, you need the right ones and won't know for a while what's right. Cyclists like to get into weightlifting by buying a bunch of equipment when it's really simpler than that.

As for unilateral versus symmetric training, I'd definitely recommend starting with symmetric until you've built a good bit of strength. You can do any kind of unilateral lunges, etc. with a bar on your shoulders -- there isn't really a need to have dumbbells or kettle balls -- but I can almost guarantee that as a cyclist, you will have some unilateral issues because your glute activation is so weak. You don't want to injure your back because you try to build unilateral capability before you have built enough of a base with symmetric.

And as for how to train when you get to ride outside, your weightlifting will suffer through the season and some of the beneficial attributes will be lost. If you're at an age where bone density loss is any kind of issue, I'd definitely remember that cycling doesn't do much for bone density compared to weightlifting. Weightlifting generally keeps your shoulders in better shape so if you fall, you are less likely to break a clavicle or other bone. It's not an issue to back off the lifting for a few weeks if you're building up to peak at a major race or fondo, but generally I'd keep the lifting going year-round. You can do one day a week of lower body, one day a week of upper body and core, and the upper body work won't interfere with your cycling. It should all be part of one unified program.

dimsy
03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
starting strength is an excellent program.

i used to lift heavily when i was younger and only picked it up again 1 year ago to date. with some experience doing these exercises in the past, and rippetoe's cue's and suggestions as far as form is concerned my numbers skyrocketed. i don't follow his practical plan and just work out as i see fit but i've kept it consistent and the gains are undeniable. i mainly stick to the big three bench, squat and deadlift and pretty much ALL of the rest of my upper body exercise is done using bodyweight exercise (chin ups, pullups, dips as well as balancing work).

word of caution: rippetoe suggests doing what he calls a low bar squat. this is a GREAT exercise that will absolutely get you stronger, but it's hip/glute dominant. i usually spend at least 1 week a month exercising the high bar squat as well as front squats as well. the more vertical back position requires more quad activation and less so on the hams/hips and glutes.

with rippetoes advice and my previous experience i've seen these increases in 1RM.

bench - 135lb to 245lb
squat - 295lb to 415lb
deadlift - 315lb to 485lb (all as of january).

your results may vary.

for the record, i'm not a HUGE guy -- 5'9 170lb (maybe more now).

edit: i do all exercises with no belt and with straps as my right hand grip simply isnt strong enough to hold the DL at that weight. i highly recommend using a belt though as it'll provide added stability for your trunk in the squat and deadlift and will add at least 15 lb to both lifts as a result.