PDA

View Full Version : New Saddle...

Legend_1970
03-18-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm a long time san marco rolls saddle user. Are there any new saddles available now that keep the same shape (flat) and width as the rolls, but is lighter and has the rails closer to the saddle shell?

Todd Owen
03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
they do make a Ti version of the rolls but I have not found a more comfortable seat. I have one on all but one of my bikes the other one is a regal.

BigMac
03-18-2004, 07:46 PM
What is motivation for change? Certainly it cannot be saddle mass -- frankly if this is ANY consideration, you've been reading too many internet forums filled with drivel that has zero basis or too many cycling mags filled with ads that have even less credibility than the rantings of your local cat5 wannabe in full-on USPS-Berry Floor team rags. I'm also unsure why shell-rail elevation is a concern. I'm sure there is some motivational source to this inquiry, its beyond me what that might be.

Similar shape to Rolls? SSM's Regal is perhaps even more legendary than Rolls and very similar in shape. They share same width and length, the Regal is generally a bit firmer feeling and less padded. Mass? If it did matter, I'm guessing the Regal has 5-10g less neoprene foam. A Brooks B17 is wider by 15mm (170 v 155) but very similar in terms of shape. The B17N is infact the same width however I prefer the Regal to the B17N while the B17 is nearly indistinguishable in longterm comfort but will outlast probably 5 Regals. Actually, I recently had a saddle shop that has built me several motorcycle saddles in past, rebuild my Regal with exceptional results. Why, you may ask when the Regal is still available new for less money than I paid for rebuild? The rebuild used higher grade leather and foam which should outlast several stock Regals but more importantly, my Regal is a special edition version with Pirelli bushings attaching rear rail section to shell substantially reducing hf road vibrations. BTW, the Pirelli bushings add 50-70g to a stock Regal...who cares.

If you want to try something moderately different, demo a Regal from your LBS, most decent shops still stock'em knowing they are SSM's all-time top seller (Rolls is a distant 2nd, fwiw). You may also consider a B17 or even B17N. I believe the soon to be re-released and outrageously expensive Brooks Swallow is very similar shape and dimensions of B17N. The Swift and Team Pro are similar width to Rolls but more curved in shape, kinda like an old SI Turbo saddle -- still used in Turbomatic models fwiw. I'm guessing you'll go back to the Rolls, its a unique combo of wide, flat supportive shape like the Regal but with a softer, more padded feel.

Ride on!

e-RICHIE
03-18-2004, 07:57 PM
"If you want to try something moderately different, demo a Regal from your LBS, most decent shops still stock'em..."

i know an lbs that just received some regal saddles!
e-RICHIE

ps

:D :D :D

jerk
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
jerk likes regal and rolls too but iif you need something new and trick for the sake of having somehting new and trick the jerk has been really impressed with the new fizik arione....flat in back and firm enough....give it a shot....

jerk

e-RICHIE
03-18-2004, 08:44 PM
there's selle san marco aspide...

and then there's everything else!

e-RICHIE

ps

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)

csb
03-18-2004, 09:41 PM
ah! a red tag sale in co_nek_tee_cut

e-RICHIE
03-18-2004, 09:42 PM
shhh!!

Ray
03-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by e-RICHIE
there's selle san marco aspide...

and then there's everything else!

Yes, but "everything else" you can actually sit on! The aspide is one of the only saddles I couldn't handle for more than about five minutes. Some I really really like, some I like, some I can live with. The aspide I can't live with.

-Ray "your ass may vary" Sachs

Legend_1970
03-19-2004, 12:53 PM
I do also own a regal. I use the Rolls mainly, but yes, like the regal.
I wanted something with rails closer to the shell simply for asthetic purposes, to have a little more seat post exposed. But yeah, I find the shape of both these very comfortable.

IXXI
03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Can someone give me a contact regarding the Regal saddles? I'm in the market and if one of you knows where there are some available for a good deal, please share.

AA

e-RICHIE
03-19-2004, 01:09 PM
if u contact me, i can tighten u up.
btw, that was not an advertisement.

e-RICHIE

ps

:crap: :crap: :crap:

BigMac
03-19-2004, 01:14 PM
E-Richie:

Do you only have your red leather models or black and maybe perforated white leather versions as well? Any Pirelli "Active" suspension versions in your inventory?

Ride on!

e-RICHIE
03-19-2004, 01:19 PM
this is not an advertisement:

"Do you only have your red leather models or black..."

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
red regals only.
red aspides only.
red rolls dues only.
red twizzlers only.

e-RICHIE

ps

:beer: :beer: :beer:

saab2000
03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
I own two Turbomatic II saddles which are awesome. I wish the SI still made this one. I know that they still do the IV version, but they have always been inconsistent. For example, I have an original Turbomatic with Ti rails which looks awesome. But it is too soft. I do not know why because other Turbomatics I have had have been firm and firm is the only way to go IMHO. I cannot ride the soft saddle without getting sore after about 20 miles.

SI needs to bring back the original Turbo or Turbomatic with Ti rails and maybe a slight lightening of the shell. Otherwise leave it alone.

the Fizik Aliante looks to have a similar shape to the Turbo.

Everyone also used to like the original Concor. Why is this not still made?

IXXI
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Slight veer:

All in favor of Red Twizzlers--
All in favor of Red Vines?

It might be a coastal thing, but I'm all about Red Vines (and grew up on Twizzlers in the midwest.)

e-RICHIE, I'll hook you up.