PDA

View Full Version : Which bike to bring with me?

FastforaSlowGuy
11-18-2014, 11:02 AM
My wife and I are decamping to northeastern Ohio for the next 4-6 weeks in connection with an adoption (baby will likely be a few weeks premature, which is why we anticipate an extended stay). We are renting an apartment, so I'm bringing a bike. No epic rides, obviously, but even if I can spin the legs for 90 minutes a few times a week, it will help keep me sane.

The question is which one:

Option A: Seven 622 SLX (aka, my metaphorical baby). If it weren't winter, this would be the obvious choice. It's soothing to ride, which is sort of the purpose. Takes 28mm tires easily for crummy weather. But Seven says the sky will fall if I strap it into a trainer (which I may also tote). I don't know if that's a CYA warning or real engineering, and I get mixed messages from Seven when I ask.

Option B: CAAD9 (aka, the race bike). The fit is a bit more aggressive, the ride quality is also aggressive (and a bit less forgiving), but zero risk on trainer days.

I know the right answer is probably "B." I think my general anxiety is making me overthink stupid stuff like this.

MattTuck
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Get some rollers, and bring the Seven. :)

FlashUNC
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
B.

And get a set of rollers so you don't have to worry about A. But that's another conversation for another time.

Ken Robb
11-18-2014, 11:12 AM
You might get more use from cross-country skis.:)

Mr. Pink
11-18-2014, 11:18 AM
I hear fat bikes work well in lake effect drifts.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-18-2014, 11:37 AM
I thought about bringing rollers, but my wife can't ride 'em, so they are getting a big veto.

p nut
11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Whatever bike will fit studded tires. Those storms looked brutal.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
My wife and I are decamping to northeastern Ohio for the next 4-6 weeks in connection with an adoption (baby will likely be a few weeks premature, which is why we anticipate an extended stay). We are renting an apartment, so I'm bringing a bike. No epic rides, obviously, but even if I can spin the legs for 90 minutes a few times a week, it will help keep me sane.

The question is which one:

Option A: Seven 622 SLX (aka, my metaphorical baby). If it weren't winter, this would be the obvious choice. It's soothing to ride, which is sort of the purpose. Takes 28mm tires easily for crummy weather. But Seven says the sky will fall if I strap it into a trainer (which I may also tote). I don't know if that's a CYA warning or real engineering, and I get mixed messages from Seven when I ask.

Option B: CAAD9 (aka, the race bike). The fit is a bit more aggressive, the ride quality is also aggressive (and a bit less forgiving), but zero risk on trainer days.

I know the right answer is probably "B." I think my general anxiety is making me overthink stupid stuff like this.

Option A and get rollers. Once wife gets the knack she'll never ride a trainer.

josephr
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
take bike B...and ship bike A down here so can make sure it stays well-tuned.

congrats on the new addition!

thwart
11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Once wife gets the knack she'll never ride a trainer.
True dat.

However, having roller season start in mid-November really socks.

Just in from a garage ride. 15 degrees, wind chill at 0. Normal high temp for Nov 18 is 43.

Oh yeah… travel… go with the CAAD 9. Easily replaced.

RedRider
11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
3- Take the Seven.
2- Trainers can ruin any bike. Frames & dropouts are not designed for the torque and twisting while being secured.
1- Best wishes and congratulations on the baby.

buck-50
11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Figure you're going to get far, far less riding time than you want AND it's northeast Ohio in late november/early december.

Bring whichever one will make you feel least bad about not getting a chance to ride it.

sandyrs
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I would bring the Seven and a set of clip-on fenders in order to get the most time outside possible (they'll make riding on streets that have been cleared, but not dried, after a storm more tolerable).

Congrats and good luck!

cd_davis
11-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Which bike can more easily hold a child's seat; that's the one you want for sure!!!
BTW, as an adoptive Dad, my best congratulations to your wife and you.
Way cool.....
Chris

93legendti
11-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Where in Ohio? If your close enough and can ride a 53, you can borrow my Salsa Casseroll. I am about an hour from the Ohio border. A race bike in the Midwest this time of year might be good for hanging wet laundry...

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=thwart;1658278]True dat.

However, having roller season start in mid-November really socks

Having that season start on a stationary trainer sucks even more.