PDA

View Full Version : Confused once again...

Brainbike
11-17-2014, 10:32 PM
What's the deal with the Lefty fork? Two fairly high end builds that defy everything I know about style/function...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157231&highlight=Eriksen&page=3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIREFLY-TITANIUM-29ER-CUSTOM-RARE-ENVE-CARBON-XTR-321-HUBS-OVER-10-000-INVESTED-/221596537569?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item33982ed2e1

kramnnim
11-17-2014, 10:35 PM
What's not to get?

ultraman6970
11-17-2014, 11:30 PM
What's the deal with the Lefty fork? <-- looks cool, light and expensive??

firerescuefin
11-17-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm not confused....nor are those bike's owners.

eBAUMANN
11-18-2014, 12:03 AM
seriously?

lefty's are extremely good forks...thats why they are on those bikes...

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 05:56 AM
What's the deal with the Lefty fork? <-- looks cool, light and expensive??

Light, works very well but I think it looks kinda goofy as well..Like somethins missing or something PLUS..Somewhat of a challenge to get into a rack on some cars and also need an adapter to true the front. Not a big issue. BUT I understand where the OP is comin' from.

Gummee
11-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Light, works very well but I think it looks kinda goofy as well..Like somethins missing or something PLUS..Somewhat of a challenge to get into a rack on some cars and also need an adapter to true the front. Not a big issue. BUT I understand where the OP is comin' from.

Don't forget the proprietary parts.

M

eddief
11-18-2014, 08:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlRqcAQr2w

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Don't forget the proprietary parts.

M

I remember the first Lefty MTB bike tune we had....took the wheel off, like I always do first, take tire off and put in truing...... DOH...that and adapters for thru axle wheels....price of doin' biz, I guess.

malcolm
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
That's my kish with the lefty.I agree the look takes a little getting used to.
I'll tell you the kish is the best tracking mtn bike I've ever ridden, not sure if Jim just nailed the geo or what, but I suspect it's a combination of both the frame and the fork.
It works very well, feels a little soft at first compared with the fox and rox shox I'd been used to but doesn't bottom and is very smooth throughout it's range of travel. It's almost like the bike just goes where you will it, holds a line like it's stuck to the trail yet very maneuverable and nimble. I like it better than my 26 turner on fast flowy single track and that says a lot.

Pros:
the look
it just works in every aspect

Cons:
the look
cost
needs adapter to use on other than cannondale, project 321 is awesome
can't just pop off the front wheel

It's my first lefty and I would do it again without second thought

For the weight weenie it's quite light. My bike built up was 21 lbs on Jim's scale and weight was not a consideration at any point in the process.

seanile
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I didn't like or trust them until I learned that the science is from the landing gear on fighter jets. Now i only dont like the lack of interchangability.

tumbler
11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
I've never liked Lefty forks, as light or effective as they may be. To my eye, they throw off the symmetry and simplicity that make bikes beautiful. They're also somewhat disorienting to ride, though I'm sure you get used to it.

josephr
11-18-2014, 12:02 PM
As far as cost is concerned, the Monarch 3.3 rear shock on my bike has been rebuilt three times in 4 years...my Lefty hasn't required service yet. Lot of deal being made over the RS-1 and it using an inverted design --- Lefty been inverted for years now --- no wonder they're so excited they finally figured it out.

I agree its weird at first, but after riding a few times and then go back to something else, you'll really appreciate accurate steering and smoothness and predictability, etc. I don't think I could go back to a two-stanchioned fork.

malcolm
11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
I don't understand how they are disorienting to ride. I don't look at my fork while riding. Other than a leg short it rides like any other mtn bike except with a better fork.

cmbicycles
11-18-2014, 03:12 PM

I had a co-worker who got one of the first lefty C'dale F4000s. His first reaction, "this will be great, now I won't need to true the front wheel as often." He was also happy to not have to take the wheel off to change a flat.

Brainbike
11-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Gotcha, must've been a bit buzzed when I wrote this, didn't mean to offend anyone, especially the Kish, it's gorgeous. I just can't get used to the look and I appreciate some symmetry. I bet it's innovative, light and rides well, just not for me...

josephr
11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Gotcha, must've been a bit buzzed when I wrote this, didn't mean to offend anyone, especially the Kish, it's gorgeous. I just can't get used to the look and I appreciate some symmetry. I bet it's innovative, light and rides well, just not for me...

no one's offended...just saying don't knock it 'til you've tried it.....you're more than welcome to take mine for a spin!

one of these days I'd like to ride a:
1) Pennyfarthing/big front wheel bike-
2) funky early 1900s lever shifting bike where the wheel moves forward deals
3) a custom-made-just-for-me titanium dream machine
4) every different 853 frameset

Peter B
11-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Hmm...not like Jack Brunk to sell one of his finest (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134133&highlight=firefly) without offering it up here.

Anyone heard from Jack lately? Is he missing a 29er??:confused:

malcolm
11-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Not offended in the least. That's the beauty of cycling, plenty of choices for everyone. If I'm being honest the aesthetic of the lefty had to grow on me, a lot. I went with the lefty on the kish just to try it and because our own Jack Brunk who spends way more time on a mtn bike than I do swears by them and when Jack recommends something strongly it's usually worth trying and now I'm sold.

When I saw that firefly I immediately thought of Brunk as well. It certainly looks like his. I think he still reads here some but doesn't interact as much as he used to. Jack is top notch.