PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo vs other hub set

kgbianchi
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM
All,

I plan to build up a new wheelset this winter using 32 hole Nemesis rims that I will use for cyclocross racing and gravel road riding. I am considering using Campagnolo hubs, but I would also like to hear any recommendations or experiences with other hub sets that are Campagnolo 11 speed compatable.

Advthanksance!

brando
11-18-2014, 02:11 AM
I have campy 11 and have been using dt240s for gravel riding and cross. No issues at all. They are really simple to access for overhaul but I haven't bothered yet after 2 seasons of mostly dry dusty conditions.

tmf
11-18-2014, 05:39 AM
If you want to save a few dollars, look at Miche hubs. I have a set of wheels built on Miche RC2 Racing Box hubs and they've been great. They have sealed bearings, and they're also made in Italy. I know OP recommends them, and I saw them on display at Vecchio's.

AngryScientist
11-18-2014, 05:48 AM
with 32 hole and 11-speed, the choices are near endless.

campy/shimano 11-sp are now interchangeable. if you want the option of using cheaper 11-sp cassettes like 6800 and 5800 go for a shimano-11 hub. ultegra 6800 hubs are really nice, obviously DA-9000 hubs are also beautiful. that said, campy hubs are still one of the best out there, if you like black 32h hubs. White industries t-11's are probably some of the best out there, and CK R45's rock as well.

what pricepoint do you want to hit?

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 05:53 AM
All,

I plan to build up a new wheelset this winter using 32 hole Nemesis rims that I will use for cyclocross racing and gravel road riding. I am considering using Campagnolo hubs, but I would also like to hear any recommendations or experiences with other hub sets that are Campagnolo 11 speed compatable.

Advthanksance!

Campagnolo hubs, being durable, great design, are a great choice. Their only 'other' is 32h only.

Other's to consider are DT 350, Miche, WhiteIndustry...all nice hubs. Chris King always seem to get mentioned but I think those are an expensive, complicated answer to a pretty simple question-bike hubs..they come in pretty colors tho.

As mentioned, a shimano 11s hub and cogset will also work but...ain't Campagnolo, eh?

BTW-shimano 9000 hubs, altho nice have gotten REALLY expensive..at retail, more than Record. Not sure why.

AngryScientist
11-18-2014, 06:11 AM
BTW-shimano 9000 hubs, altho nice have gotten REALLY expensive..at retail, more than Record. Not sure why.

I'm searching around, have 9000 hubs gone to all black now too? that was one nice thing about 7900 hubs, nice silver finish. At least they are still available in multiple drillings.

if campy is going to make record hubs anyway, i think they are really missing an opportunity to sell more if they offered a silver finish and multiple drillings. Facing reality, with the rims available today, 32 spoke wheels are really not what most people want for the road. cross, commuting, touring, sure, but more people would use campy for boutique builds if the drillings were available.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm searching around, have 9000 hubs gone to all black now too? that was one nice thing about 7900 hubs, nice silver finish. At least they are still available in multiple drillings.

if campy is going to make record hubs anyway, i think they are really missing an opportunity to sell more if they offered a silver finish and multiple drillings. Facing reality, with the rims available today, 32 spoke wheels are really not what most people want for the road. cross, commuting, touring, sure, but more people would use campy for boutique builds if the drillings were available.

I agree with the drilling part. Only black isn't a how stopper for me but undoubtedly making them black only costs less $.

Built a lot of wheels and 32 IS what road wheels are by default(after the crappy low spoke count factory built wheels go to hell). Like the early gig with Heliums..and how low spoke count got marketed to death, low spoke count sells, when they aren't moving or being used. 20/24. 24/28 get marketed to death now as well BUT even with rims available today, if one to add 28 grams of spokes to just about any aluminum rim(4 spokes), they would have a better wheel..but it doesn't sell. Unless the cyclist listens of course. Even HED, Pacenti, H+Son, the heavier, delta shaped rims..they would last longer, be all around better as 32h, rather than the 20/24, 24/28, 28/28. 5 ounces, about 2 1/2 powerbars..

I'd like to see Record in 28/32/36, like they used to be. I doubt taking a hub shell, and adjusting the drilling machine to drill 28h or 36h is any big deal BUT Campagnolo(Fulcrum) wants you to buy their wheels, of course. I'm surprised Campagnolo makes hubs at all. Wish Mavic made 601 hubs but they haven't for over a decade..nice hubs too.

Black Dog
11-18-2014, 06:43 AM
^This^ Reality is so much better than marketing. Kinda like truth vs fantasy. But marketing manipulates people into buying things that are actually against their interests.