PDA

View Full Version : superglue lens back together?

pgrizzwald
11-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Has anyone had any success supergluing their broken sunglasses lenses back together? The lens for my Spy Screw sunglasses broke in half at the temple. Not sure how. Never sat on them, dropped, etc. They still sit in the frame ok, but I figured I'd try and superglue them back together.

false_Aest
11-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Will probably not work unless you add a sheet of something in front and behind the lens.

There's just not a lot of purchase on somethign that's like 1.5mm thick even with über-glue.

I'm thinking this could a really great high-tek cycling-nerd novelty item though. Wrap it with some flax-impregnated CF weave and it'd look dope.

Ken Robb
11-17-2014, 06:07 PM
probably not a good idea to have fractured plastic around your eye.

gasman
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
I used to seem to break the bridges of glasses on a regular basis. Superglue will work but only if backed up by several wraps of duct tape. You'll look like a complete dork till you get new frames and your wife or significant other will tease you endlessly.
Ask me how I know.

Just get new frames.

buddybikes
11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
If the frames are made of acetate (which many are) - then acetone should be used. Had similar issue with my daughters Oakley's and worked perfectly.

pgrizzwald
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM
I used to seem to break the bridges of glasses on a regular basis. Superglue will work but only if backed up by several wraps of duct tape. You'll look like a complete dork till you get new frames and your wife or significant other will tease you endlessly.
Ask me how I know.

Just get new frames.

The frames are fine. It's the one piece lens that is broken in the middle.

Tony T
11-17-2014, 07:00 PM
I would contact them and see if they can help with a replacement for their lens' "Built from virtually indestructible Grilamid"
Seriously, see if they're covered under warranty.

Look585
11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
I have a rose lens new in the box. Yours for the shipping cost.

Sent from mobile device

bikingshearer
11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Will probably not work unless you add a sheet of something in front and behind the lens.

There's just not a lot of purchase on somethign that's like 1.5mm thick even with über-glue.

I'm thinking this could a really great high-tek cycling-nerd novelty item though. Wrap it with some flax-impregnated CF weave and it'd look dope.

This has been my experience. Just not enough purchase to have the necessary structural integrity.

mecse
11-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Has anyone had any success supergluing their broken sunglasses lenses back together? The lens for my Spy Screw sunglasses broke in half at the temple. Not sure how. Never sat on them, dropped, etc. They still sit in the frame ok, but I figured I'd try and superglue them back together.

It won't work; you'll forever see a seam.

buy new lenses :(

Buzz Killington
11-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Whoa, that's a bad idea. Please do not attempt lens repair.

cp43
11-20-2014, 07:19 AM
I would contact them and see if they can help with a replacement for their lens' "Built from virtually indestructible Grilamid"
Seriously, see if they're covered under warranty.

I don't know about Spy, but Rudy Project does a reduced cost lens replacement program. I think it's $25 for new lenses if you send back the broken/scratched ones. So, it's worth a call to Spy, even if it's not a free warranty replacement, they may take care of you.

Chris