PDA

View Full Version : OT: any musician types out there?

Dr Luxurious
11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Man, I haven't touched any of my noise makers since I started riding with a purpose again last year.

There's enough dust on my snare head that if I hit it'll be like shooting a bag of flour.
I can't get to my upright bass for all the crap that's piled in front of it. Same with my guitars - plus the strings are all corroded.
I don't even know where the keyboard is. (Seriously, how the heck does one loose a 3+ft long keyboard?)

I really need to find a way to have an income without having to work so I can free up some time. Any ideas?

Duende
11-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I sure as hell don't know. The drummer in our band started a company, and we all got sucked into it. It's a good gig, but now we have all the musical toys we ever wanted... Including a killer studio. And no time to play at all. Wasn't the trade off we were prepared for!

Stand up bass? You a jazz guy or rockabilly?

Dr Luxurious
11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
jazz wannabe on drums & bass.
guitars are all about standing in front of a 4x12 pretending I'm Mick Green and/or Malcolm.

I think we need to go back in time & give our gear to our teenage selves.

ceolwulf
11-17-2014, 11:45 AM
I think we need to go back in time & give our gear to our teenage selves.

That is the very truth!

MattTuck
11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
I wish I could play an instrument. I'm jealous of you folks that are able to make music.

Kirk Pacenti
11-17-2014, 11:51 AM
...started a company, and we all got sucked into it. It's a good gig, but now we have all the musical toys we ever wanted... Including a killer studio. And no time to play at all. Wasn't the trade off we were prepared for!

I am familiar with the scenario.

oldguy00
11-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Definitely not a 'musician', but I do like to mess around with my Les Paul Traditional (and H&K Switchblade).. :)
My kids hate it when I play.........

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I really need to find a way to have an income without having to work so I can free up some time. Any ideas?

Potd.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-17-2014, 12:00 PM
I wish I could play an instrument. I'm jealous of you folks that are able to make music.

Plus 1.

redir
11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I've been building and repairing guitars for 20 years. Been playing them for a few more years then that. I have a banjo and a mandolin too and oddly enough don't care for Bluegrass too much though I like the banjo and mando.

So yeah it's an important part of my life :)

Dave Ferris
11-17-2014, 02:03 PM
It's all I've ever done--piano/composer/arranger/vocal. I'm 61 and started gigging at around 14.

Played around STL (hometown) mostly with rock/bar bands in my early teens to middle '20s. The last "band" I was in in STL , Full Moon Consert, did a lot of original stuff, had a record out (at that time it was a big deal) and opened for people like Pat Metheny, Todd Rundgren, Poco and others that came into STL.

Moved to LA in '79 and have been a freelance guy for the past 36 years. Used to do a lot of road stuff and a fair amount of studio work , but like everything pertaining to "live music" and studio dates...it's all pretty dried up here for me and most of my friends.

Never went to music school or college, but studied privately with top guys here in LA. I've done gigs with name, top musicians in the world and conversely, guys that couldn't even cut it in a garage type rock band.

Being a pro musician means you have to do what you have to make $$$...unfortunately.

I was pretty much an everything to everyone guy (meaning playing all styles) for the longest time out here. But in the late '90s started following my heart more and just tried to play more jazz gigs. It's what I moved out here to do in the first place but got caught up, like everyone, making a living and playing RnR, or whatever to make dough. I'm certainly making less of it these days , but can look myself in the mirror at night and not feel like a like a musical prostitute.

It's a ridiculously hard life and basically impossible to make a living at it today without some supplemental income as teaching, or some tech related industry job.

In the time I came up out here -early '80s through to around 2004 - if you could play, sight-read well, had a solid understanding of playing in all genres, and were an easy person to get along with , basically you would never be out of work-- even if you were considered a *Jazz guy* like me.;)

The scene (related to changes in society) has changed SO dramatically (for the worse) in the last 10-15 years -- I don't think any of my fellow musicians could have predicted where we would be at this point in time. :mad:

Still practice the piano, vocalize 2-4 hours a day...some days longer, sometimes shorter depending on teaching or gig schedules. In addition I try write at least 4 bars a day. It's what I do and all I know. Serious muscians never retire, they keep practicing..:cool:

Have a 2005 NY Steinway D in my studio that's my pride and joy. I mostly gig on electronic keyboards -Yamaha CP4, Nord Piano 2. Don't do hardly do any synth stuff anymore...thank God.

GeorgeTSquirrel
11-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Three foot keyboard is setting vertically right beside my bed... has been for months. *sigh* Just started picking the guitar and mandolin up again recently, as I'm trying to learn some bluegrass. Hopefully, the momentum will build and I won't go through another music dry spell lasting several years.

redir
11-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Dave Ferris based on your experience what do you think has killed or is killing the scene?

My wife plays keys in our band and loves her Nord! She also still plays through an old Rolland using a JV-1080 module :D

carpediemracing
11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
I was a much better violin player than cyclist, at least in terms of ranking among peers. I started when I was 5, apparently having pestered my mom for about a year about playing the violin (she was taking lessons). I was one of four people selected to audition for concert master at All States. The actual concert was a very intense performance, very bike-race like, because I had a nosebleed in the middle of it. I asked my stand partner if she had a hand kerchief - she almost fainted as I had blood everywhere. Just like bike racing you really can't stop for anything so I was playing with blood on my face, violin, shirt, etc. The conductor had some kind comments after the performance also, pulling me aside during the traditional "shake everyone's hands" thing after a show.

I didn't play regularly after that performance, which was in 1985.

It's an obsessive thing - when I brought my violin to school in 1988 or so I ended up playing about 3-5 hours a day and skipping my afternoon class. I bought my violin back home before I failed out of school. I didn't even train as much as I played the violin (I had been racing about 5 years at the time). Let's put it this way - I kept my bikes at school when the violin went home.

I last played a few years ago, a couple hours before my fingers and arms went.

I still have my violin, my main bow, and my back up bow. Bows are like wheel sets, you have a couple. My violin is very unlike my bike. The violin is really nice, sort of like a beautiful custom frame. My bike is very workmanlike, with a sturdy, industrial kind of (custom) frame.

echelon_john
11-17-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm a pretty crappy guitar player, but it's a great stress-reliever. Have a custom that a buddy of mine made and a Strummer edition Tele which plays as well as any guitar I've ever tried. Just picked up a pretty beat up P-Bass and an older TNT115 amp that's my current obsession. I think I missed my calling as a bass player; it just makes more sense to me in a lot of ways than guitar--just a red bass, 4 strings and the truth! ; )

One of these days when I figure out the whole income vs. working thing I'd love to learn the tools and get set up to do some recording/screwing around, even if it's just in GarageBand, although ProTools would be nice.

phcollard
11-17-2014, 04:43 PM
I used to play the acoustic guitar before I moved to Canada 15 years ago. I even built them and repair them as my main meager income for 5 years too!

But since then almost nothing. I recently sold a Serotta frame and being already N+1 fulfilled I thought hey I could get myself a new guitar and start playing again. So I got one of the cheap PRS but alas it's been sitting in its gigbag for two months now as I barely find the time to play.

Anybody feels having a hobby is a luxury those days? Tell me about having two (like cycling and another one)!

Bostic
11-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I've been playing drums since I was a young kid in the late 70's. Heavy Metal was always my draw but I'll listen to anything. I've rented a small room at a local rehearsal studio for the past decade where I keep my drums and have 24x7 access. I haven't been in a band in over two years but still practice. Music will always be a part of me but the days of driving 60 miles to play with 3 other bands on a Thursday night for next to no money are done with. Usually the drums play second fiddle during the nice months of the year as I'm out riding every day after work and prepping for various double centuries. Now that the season is turning more time will be spent at the studio. It's a tough balance and I don't have kids but do have a very supportive wife. I do have a full time career in the tech industry and never wanted to be a full time musician.

Alwurst
11-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I too am a mediocure guitar player but the stress relief is great for me also. Best for me in the winter when it is too dark and cold outside to ride.

Ti Designs
11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Have a 2005 NY Steinway D in my studio that's my pride and joy.

As much as I've tried, no electronic instrument will ever sound like that. That just pisses me off...

OtayBW
11-17-2014, 05:10 PM
I won the State of Tennessee championship for clawhammer banjo way back in 1979 and have played fiddle and other assorted stringed things for a long time. Most recent love has been the pedal steel guitar. Jack of many trades - master of none....

cmbicycles
11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
I teach music in an elementary school, but I have/make too little time to play outside school between a couple other jobs and young kids. Thankfully one of my part time jobs is as a singer so i have that outlet. It'll come back eventually. Right now i am having fun messing with building and fixing instruments. Broken instrument donations gladly accepted :).
I'm doing/planning some fun building projects with my students as well... it is a public school arts program so it is often supported by donations of what materials we need. Gonna be building cajons with a couple classes this year I hope. Been hitting up local cabinet shops for drop off pieces.

notsew
11-17-2014, 07:16 PM
I play sax in a bar band with some buddies - some covers, mostly originals now. We've been paying together for the better part of 10 years. We don't practice or perform as much as we used to, but we sure have a good time when we get together! I'm glad I have it and that I've been able to hold on to it for so long. It's great therapy.

dogdriver
11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Guitar hack, but its a fun project. My performance standard is to be able to play on a park bench and not ruin the day of the person who walks by and listens for a moment...

rounder
11-17-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a good guitar (martin hd-28) and good bikes ( two serottas and two k. Bedfords)..

I like them and use/ride them. But I am no where doing what they are capable of doing.. Props to those who can.

Bob Ross
11-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Being a pro musician means you have to do what you have to make $$$...unfortunately.

Preach on, brother!

I was a fulltime pro for about 20 years. Part of me takes incredible pride in the range of gigs I'd accept, and the professional work ethic I tried to bring to every single one no matter how lame the circumstances...but after I went through a period where I played "Satin Doll" and "New York, New York" every single night, seven nights a week, for three straight months, I started to have some doubts.

I'm serious. Every. Single. Night. Three months. "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, it's up to you..." ninety-something times in a row. Kill me now.

Ironically, (re-)discovering cycling was the thing that really allowed me to scale back my musical endeavors without feeling like I was sawing off a limb.
These days I've (still somewhat reluctantly, but proudly) accepted the fact that music has become my avocation. I still play at least once a week, but I'm no longer hustling for work or accepting projects where the music doesn't mean something to me other than a paycheck. So my basses still get used regularly, but my guitars rarely see the light of day, and I think my synthesizers are still sealed up in the packing blankets from when we moved over a year ago.

And if my teenage self had access to the instruments I now own, my teenage head would have exploded.

Saint Vitus
11-18-2014, 09:09 AM
I paid my dues making my way in the music business from age 18-28. Did ok for a spell, made 3 records, toured some but always ended up with day jobs to make ends meet. I'm an ok musician, I got the job done but I ain't Abe Laboreal or Paul McCartney.

Also put in some time running a studio (back when it was possible), that fizzled when it was obvious that I wasn't going to survive doing that when the rise of computer based digital home studios began their full scale assault on anything not that (my bandmate and I were vintage analog, even had a tube desk for a while).

As for having an instrument around, I let my band-mate take my '73 Rick bass since he got more mileage out of it (and even made a Grammy winning record with it!) and I had retired from music. I have an old Kay Jimmy Reed style guitar I need to have sorted, maybe one of the boys will take an interest...

Jeff N.
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a nice Yamaha Flugelhorn I like to mess around with. I just put on a Fedora, look into the mirror with 'horn in hand and pretend I'm Chuck Mangione. -Jeff N.

dave thompson
11-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Music is my bane. My Mom was a big band singer in the 30s and 40s. I remember her practicing when I was a kid. I love music of all types and genres. Me? I play a radio badly, no musical talent whatsoever.

Dr Luxurious
11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Wow! Some of you cats can really play!
Makes me feel a bit... inadequate.
I've tried many times to learn theory and harmony but my attention span is gone. I'll set aside some time with the intent of really learning something but after about 10 minutes it's :crap: so I just dime everything, take a running jump onto my Superfuzz and hammer out A5, C5, D5 (repeat).

I'm a little better on drums; even with difficult, frustrating etudes at least you get to move around and hit things.

Bostic
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
And if my teenage self had access to the instruments I now own, my teenage head would have exploded.

This. When I was a teenager in the 80's I cut out every drum set I liked from catalogs (and that was almost all of them) and hung them on the wall in my bedroom. I saved and saved and saved more until I could buy a useable kit and it lived a hard life gigging all over the SF Bay Area in the early 90's. Fast forward up to now, I've had the same Sonor double bass maple drum kit since 2005 in Steinway Black lacquer. It has some scratches here and there but still sounds great.

In middle and high school I played the Clarinet and Baritone Sax. From time to time I miss playing horns then check ebay to see how ridiculous it would cost to buy a new Selmer or a vintage Mark VI with Low A. About the same as a high end carbon bike with DI2.

I still need to score the vintage Neil Peart Tama 6' tapestry but my wife keeps shooting down the idea.

tmf
11-18-2014, 10:29 AM
I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira. We only get together once or twice a month for shows and an occasional practice. We mostly practice new songs as we work towards our next recording. The limited time requirement is what makes it work - we just celebrated our 10th year playing together. Even with the limited time, we've had pretty good success. We've recorded five albums, toured California three times and spent a week playing across Italy. We make just enough from our shows and merchandise sales to break even on our traveling expenses and recording costs. I don't really see how you can make money playing music these days except for giving lessons or being a really big touring act.

Here is a video of a song from our show in Livorno, Italy. You can see the beautiful scenery because it's dark (we were playing at 2am), but the stage is on the side of a cliff overlooking the Ligurian Sea - amazing!! "Burning Mirage" - The Madeira (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9rVco-TII)

Kirk Pacenti
11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Watched this last night. Pretty much sums up why very few artists make a living in the music industry today... http://www.artifactthefilm.com/

Dr Luxurious
11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I HAVE "SANDSTORM" !!!
Just cued it up on the ipod!!

Hawker
11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
I've been playing drums for forty years, jazz and blues mostly and a few cover bands for a while to pay the bills. Went to Eastman School of Music and studied with some great guys. But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich) it is a very hard way to actually make a living, raise a family, save for retirement...all the "normal" things. These days with jazz a distant memory in the minds of most people...even tougher. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop playing it though but broadcasting and writing is my career gig.

Dave Ferris, nice playing Bro. Tell your drummer nice chops and I love his ride cymbal. :)

(Edit) Crap Dave...I've been listeing through your entire Sound Cloud play list...just killer. Listening to Monk's "Reflections" now...sweet. Made my day.

Who are the other players in your trio? Accomplished players all.

Saint Vitus
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira. We only get together once or twice a month for shows and an occasional practice. We mostly practice new songs as we work towards our next recording. The limited time requirement is what makes it work - we just celebrated our 10th year playing together. Even with the limited time, we've had pretty good success. We've recorded five albums, toured California three times and spent a week playing across Italy. We make just enough from our shows and merchandise sales to break even on our traveling expenses and recording costs.]

Interesting that several surf bands (from the day) came from places where surfing was not possible, most notably the Astronauts (CO and the Lively Ones (OK). Surf music has seen a resurgence over the years with Jon and The Nightriders really pushing that trend here on the west coast in the late 70's, then Dick Dale made a comeback in the early 90's with the success of 'Miserlou' on Pulp Fiction.

I used to play bass out of the amp your lead guitarist is using, 2x15 blond Showman. The best rig though was a 80's Rick ported 18 cab with a Peavey Black Widow and any 100 watt amp was more than enough to make John Doe from X wonder how I made such bass when he had a stack of Randalls or an SVT. Technique John, technique.

Have you guys ever billed with Los Straitjackets?

tmf
11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Interesting that several surf bands (from the day) came from places where surfing was not possible, most notably the Astronauts (CO and the Lively Ones (OK). Surf music has seen a resurgence over the years with Jon and The Nightriders really pushing that trend here on the west coast in the late 70's, then Dick Dale made a comeback in the early 90's with the success of 'Miserlou' on Pulp Fiction.

I used to play bass out of the amp your lead guitarist is using, 2x15 blond Showman. The best rig though was a 80's Rick ported 18 cab with a Peavey Black Widow and any 100 watt amp was more than enough to make John Doe from X wonder how I made such bass when he had a stack of Randalls or an SVT. Technique John, technique.

Have you guys ever billed with Los Straitjackets?

The SWR amp in the video was the backline for that festival. I usually play out of a '67 Dual Showman & 2x15 cabinet.

Yes, we played with Los Straightjackets once, and another time with one of their offshoots - The Neanderthals. We also opened for Dick Dale when he was in town back in July. We have a lot of fun, and it's always great coming to southern California. Surf rock sounds best played close to the beach!

Repack Rider
11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
I was a rock band roadie in SF after getting out of the Army in 1968. I worked for the Sons of Champlin (http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/sons_welcome.htm) for 42 years before hanging it up in 2010. I missed four shows in that time, one when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, three others in 1974 when the truck blew an engine on tour and I had to stay with it while it was rebuilt. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, and I always delivered.

I worked on shows with The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Credence, Santana, Byrds, The Band, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and The News, Albert King, Ike and Tina turner, Jethro Tull, Average White Band, Ten Years After, Bo Diddly, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. etc. Smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, went mountain biking with Bob Weir, and when I met Janis she was only wearing red panties.

Maybe 25 years ago I started playing in my own bands, we were the house band at a sleazy bar for a while.

I have a studio, and if you build it, they will come. For my latest iteration I called a few of my professional musician friends, and mostly we jam in the studio. There is a shifting cast of characters depending on who has a gig, one is a songwriter whose work I have admired for 40 years, and who now plays with me.

We are "Funk and Disorderly."

Duende
11-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Not surprising really that so many of us here are musicians. As cycling in my experience has historically always been an outsider sport. And akin to the sensitivities of the musically inclined.

It was only recently in the 90's with the Armstrong phenomenon, that cycling became appreciated by the masses in the USA.

And there spawned the rise of agro strava knuckleheads racing across the GG bridge every weekend with baby trailers in tow.

Pro musician for many years... Played Royal Albert Hall and had a one on one lunch with Lou Reed... In retrospect, those were the highlights I should have appreciated more at the time.

Anyways... Cycling soothes the soul in a very familiar way that a magical chord or sound can. Nothing else like it.... I think we all know that.

callt5
11-19-2014, 01:12 AM
I used to work for Ibanez and Tama some 30 years ago. Actually was one of the manufacturing team for Camco Drums. My drums have been in boxes for almost 30 years. Earlier this year met a pro drummer from my old stomping grounds and sparked a flame. Been considering an electronic set due to space limitations and neighbors.

Dave Ferris
11-19-2014, 08:34 AM
I've been playing drums for forty years, jazz and blues mostly and a few cover bands for a while to pay the bills. Went to Eastman School of Music and studied with some great guys. But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich) it is a very hard way to actually make a living, raise a family, save for retirement...all the "normal" things. These days with jazz a distant memory in the minds of most people...even tougher. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop playing it though but broadcasting and writing is my career gig.

Dave Ferris, nice playing Bro. Tell your drummer nice chops and I love his ride cymbal. :)

(Edit) Crap Dave...I've been listeing through your entire Sound Cloud play list...just killer. Listening to Monk's "Reflections" now...sweet. Made my day.

Who are the other players in your trio? Accomplished players all.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the nice words, very much appreciated.

Ah Eastman , home of Bill Dobbins. God I've gotten some mileage out of this book of his:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Approach-Piano-Harmony-Dobbins/dp/B000WMIPMQ

And his transcriptions on Herbie & Clare Fischer (who I studied with briefly) are probably some of the greatest educational contributions to Modern jazz in the last 50 years. Bill's ears are just staggering !

Yes, many friends out here in LA are Eastman alumnus. Close friend and trumpeter Howie Shear. Bob Sheppard , who played on my first CD back in '91, and is probably one of the greatest musicians I've had the privilege of playing with.

Others are Rob Lockhart , Bill Cunliffe, Brian Scanlon, Bob Mcchesney, Bevan Manson and Clay Jenkins (who moved back to Rochester and took a teaching gig at Eastman). I'm sure there are others but those guys are around my age, 61, and come to mind first.
All GREAT players , composers and arrangers.

Yes the drummer on the higher quality studio recordings on SC is one of LA's finest and a long time comrade in arms- Kendall Kay.

The bass player on my first CD, "The Quiet One" is the late Eric Von Essen. A true pure un-compromising Artist who had a profound effect on my playing and music. Lost unfortunately at too young an age and is greatly missed by the entire jazz and arts scene in LA.

On the Vocal tracks it's another one of LA's finest (who I believe re-located to New Zealand in the past year) - bassist Tom Warrington.

And the aforementioned Bob Sheppard is on Tenor on all the Quiet One tracks on SC. We did that at Chick Corea's old studio in Los Feliz- Mad Hatter , live to two track (no overdubs).

We (the trio) had one very short rehearsal with Bob and he basically sight read the stuff down on the date. Most of the tunes were in one take. 70 minutes of music.

I wrote "Road to Boston" in 1990 while preparing for my first Boston Marathon in '91. Bob plays a great solo on it as he does on every track. Can hardly believe it was August of '91 when we recorded that...23 years have gone by ! A lot of it still sounds pretty fresh to my ears , of course I'm a little biased...lol

But yeah Jazz (or any good music of high quality) is like a fine classic bike - it always holds its integrity , no many how many years go by. Sure as heck can't say that about most of the sonic drivel that's polluting the airwaves I hear today. But then that's subject matter for an entriely different thread that could be pages long. :rolleyes:

Dr Luxurious
11-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Hey Hawker -

Ever heard of Clayton Cameron?
Saw him play w/ Kenny Burrell a while back. Does some cool things with brushes.

But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich)
Don't forget Joe Morello!! :no:
The only guy I ever heard make a drum solo actually musical

or Billy Cobham, Philly Joe, Elvin, Blakey :)

Dave Ferris
11-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Clayton Cameron is a monster drummer for sure. I hope we get to play together at some point in time. He took Joe Labarbera's place with Tony Bennett years ago. Not sure if Clayton is still doing the gig though.

Joe was Bill Evans' last drummer btw.

When I was up in Inverness at Steve Potts home ordering my 29er, I found out he was a close friend of Bill Cobham. Being the kinda guy that can *make* anything...Steve was going to design a snare drum for Billy at some point. Probably when he can find time away from type IIs and all the bikes...:)

Bob Ross
11-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Bevan Manson
...[snip]...
Tom Warrington

Ha! Small world: Bevan was teaching at NEC when I was getting my Masters there, and Tom was my undergraduate Arranging teacher at Berklee.

jmeloy
11-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I was a rock band roadie in SF after getting out of the Army in 1968. I worked for the Sons of Champlin (http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/sons_welcome.htm) for 42 years before hanging it up in 2010. I missed four shows in that time, one when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, three others in 1974 when the truck blew an engine on tour and I had to stay with it while it was rebuilt. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, and I always delivered.

I worked on shows with The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Credence, Santana, Byrds, The Band, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and The News, Albert King, Ike and Tina turner, Jethro Tull, Average White Band, Ten Years After, Bo Diddly, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. etc. Smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, went mountain biking with Bob Weir, and when I met Janis she was only wearing red panties.

Maybe 25 years ago I started playing in my own bands, we were the house band at a sleazy bar for a while.

I have a studio, and if you build it, they will come. For my latest iteration I called a few of my professional musician friends, and mostly we jam in the studio. There is a shifting cast of characters depending on who has a gig, one is a songwriter whose work I have admired for 40 years, and who now plays with me.

We are "Funk and Disorderly."

Man, RR. What I would have given to have been that close to those musicians. Just the soundtrack for much of my life. Nice.

Fiertetimestwo
11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Not surprising really that so many of us here are musicians. As cycling in my experience has historically always been an outsider sport. And akin to the sensitivities of the musically inclined.

It was only recently in the 90's with the Armstrong phenomenon, that cycling became appreciated by the masses in the USA.

And there spawned the rise of agro strava knuckleheads racing across the GG bridge every weekend with baby trailers in tow.

Pro musician for many years... Played Royal Albert Hall and had a one on one lunch with Lou Reed... In retrospect, those were the highlights I should have appreciated more at the time.

Anyways... Cycling soothes the soul in a very familiar way that a magical chord or sound can. Nothing else like it.... I think we all know that.

As your last point- yes!

Don't tell anyone, but sometimes, late at night, I just sit and hit a chord on my piano and just let it ring. Then I stick my head inside and just listen as it fades away.

Works with all sorts of chords- with simple chords you can just hear the sweetness -and with more complex chords (e.g the last chord of "Gaucho" by Steely Dan!) you can hear the notes both working with each other and working against each other .

Love it.

marciero
11-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Interesting thread. Thanks all for sharing.

For me- thirty years playing bars, weddings/functions, and some concerts. Folk, rock and roll, country, jazz, a few other styles. Most visible thing from my rock and roll days was a song in a Sandra Bullock movie. Last ten years mostly jazz-straight-ahead with heavy dose of gypsy/Django Reinhardt style. Played Exit Zero jazz fest in New Jersey this summer as sideman for violinist Daisy Castro, and did short tours with her in recent years. Violinist on a gig with my trio last week, Jason Anick, played with Stevie Wonder at Boston Garden the week before. So this is more of "I've played with so-and-so..."

Am not a full timer and rather like it that way. In the summer I cut down on gigs so I can ride the bike. All the full-time pros I know and play with teach and do lots of different things to make it work.

tylerbick
11-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Haven't had a drumset set up at home for a couple years since my wife got pregnant and the band moved to a rented 24/7 rehearsal space, but for his 1st birthday last week, someone gave my son a little battery powered toy drumset (annoying as hell like most new kids toys) and he LOVED IT. So I scrounged up some cheap drums (my gear nerd/elitist 20 y/o self is cringing that I even own them, they're a far cry from my birch Tama Starclassics w/ Zildjian A's and K's) and set them up in the basement of our new house still filled w/ unpacked boxes from the move. Sat my son on my leg, handed him my sticks (I play in some pretty heavy post-hardcore/metalish/punk bands, and beat the hell out of my drums, I only play Vater 1A treetrunk sticks, each one weighs about as much as my kid) he held each of them and banged away, not startled, not shy, with no hesitation, even when the ride cymbal picked up quite a bit of volume after he "kept time" on it for a while. He played happily, but with a very serious look on his face the whole time! After 5 or 6 minutes I had him set the sticks down on the snare and hoisted him up to go back upstairs, thinking he had had his fill, and he LOST IT. All he wanted to do was hit those drums! So, needless to say we played around for a few more minutes, I even held his hands with the sticks and "helped" him play a few simple 4/4 rock beats. As if I wasn't proud enough of him already!

earlfoss
11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
I've been playing for ~10 years. Did the touring thing for a while and had some pretty good times. I definitely wouldn't have met the people I have and had the life experiences I've had by not doing the music thing.

I really lucked out with my band. Our bass player played briefly with the Flaming Lips and a few other noise bands over the years. Lead guitar player majored in classical and is really, really good.

Our drummer's grandfather was Soupy Sales and his dad and uncle played with tons of rock stars back in the day. The song "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop has my drummer's dad and uncle on drums and bass. They also were a big part of David Bowie's band, Tin Machine. I got to meet a lot of upper level people hanging out with him. Everyone in the band was friends before the band started which made playing and touring that much more fun too.

Lots of stories, too many to write in one post!

tylerbick
11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I've been playing for ~10 years. Did the touring thing for a while and had some pretty good times. I definitely wouldn't have met the people I have and had the life experiences I've had by not doing the music thing.

I really lucked out with my band. Our bass player played briefly with the Flaming Lips and a few other noise bands over the years. Lead guitar player majored in classical and is really, really good.

Our drummer's grandfather was Soupy Sales and his dad and uncle played with tons of rock stars back in the day. The song "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop has my drummer's dad and uncle on drums and bass. They also were a big part of David Bowie's band, Tin Machine. I got to meet a lot of upper level people hanging out with him. Everyone in the band was friends before the band started which made playing and touring that much more fun too.

Lots of stories, too many to write in one post!

^Aaaaaaand aaaaawesome!!! Lust for Life is definitely in my top 50 albums of all time. I think most "punk" bands/musicians don't realize how much we owe to Iggy and Bowie. I mean, I worship Sabbath and Minor Threat as much as the next guy, but the sexualness and theatrical element both of them approached in very different ways opened the door for a lot more diverse group of folks to make music together.

earlfoss
11-20-2014, 08:26 PM
If you want to hear some next level stuff about that era from someone who lived it, I highly suggest you listen to Marc Maron's interview with Hunt Sales. He's my drummer's uncle. Played and toured with Rundgren at 14 years old and was given lessons by Buddy Rich. Talks about the day Lust For Life was recorded and the process that created that album. Good stuff! Hunt is one wacky dude. I hung with him in Austin, TX for a while with my friend and oh man. Oh man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
11-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Our drummer's grandfather was Soupy Sales and his dad and uncle played with tons of rock stars back in the day. The song "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop has my drummer's dad and uncle on drums and bass. They also were a big part of David Bowie's band, Tin Machine. I got to meet a lot of upper level people hanging out with him.

I can't believe Tony & Hunt Sales are old enough to have kids! I did a couple of gigs as FOH mixer with Reeves Gabrels back in his pre-Tin Machine days.

mister
11-20-2014, 09:58 PM
i've played bass for a long time. started on double bass in orchestra in middle school, quit. started taking lessons again in college for an elective, learned lots of jazz theory stuff. always listened to hardcore and punk though. of course love old jazz too.
play in a band with drummer from DC that was in deep in the dischord scene, pretty much was meant to be based on how it all came together.
toured a few times.
don't even have a double bass anymore and kinda purposely forgot about all that music theory, though i know alot of it still comes out without me even thinking about it. these days it's all about feel.

not sure i could stand to be around current day jazz guys. pretty much no desire to play that anymore. there is a dude here that plays banjo that we've played with, i could play with that dude once i get an old double bass back from repair.
also this crazy free jazzish player from the netherlands lives here and he also has played with us in a jam/rehearsal a few times. want to play with that dude too.

old tyme music is starting to interest me for some reason now...

Hawker
11-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey Hawker -

Ever heard of Clayton Cameron?
Saw him play w/ Kenny Burrell a while back. Does some cool things with brushes.

Don't forget Joe Morello!! :no:
The only guy I ever heard make a drum solo actually musical

or Billy Cobham, Philly Joe, Elvin, Blakey :)

Dr...yes indeed Cameron is a real artist when it comes to brushes. First heard about him many years ago when he was Sammy Davis Jr.'s drummer.

Amen to Joe and all the rest. Also a huge fan of Joe LaBarbara who's still killing it after a lot of years. I'm sure Dave has worked with him out in LA.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2014, 10:02 AM
...I play in some pretty heavy post-hardcore/metalish/punk bands, and beat the hell out of my drums, I only play Vater 1A treetrunk sticks, each one weighs about as much as my kid

I used to play with a guy that used 3S and go through them like crazy. Played an old Sonor kit, loud as hell. Undamped Emperor heads, both sides and rang like a mofo.

tylerbick
11-21-2014, 12:36 PM
I used to play with a guy that used 3S and go through them like crazy. Played an old Sonor kit, loud as hell. Undamped Emperor heads, both sides and rang like a mofo.

Now THAT'S heavy. I bet he goes through some cymbals too... I've actually downsized from 2B, but with those I never could practice enough to learn any agility w/ them. Slow and doomy was no problem, but when it came time to play anything faster like D-beat or thrash I just couldn't pull off rolls or precise sticking. For a long time a local shop had sticks custom made for them by Vater. They had my favorite, called the "Piledriver". 1/4" longer and a bit after than my current Vater selection. But alas, that shop went the way of many brick-n-mortar shops in this age of e-commerce.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Now THAT'S heavy. I bet he goes through some cymbals too...

Funny thing, he was very easy on the ride and hats when it came to stick control, except the hat stand. He had the legs re-enforced with thick raw bar steel welded onto them! He used older thicker, mellow toned cymbals (K or A), he didn't like too much brassiness in the top end.

Louis
11-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Random thread drift - a thought experiment for musicians that I’ve always wondered about:

What would happen if I could time-travel and bring back Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and Verdi (pick any long-dead famous guys you like), sit them down in a studio and play for them a selection of more recent popular music, say, Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry, John Coltrane, Elvis Presley, Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Phillip Glass, Nirvana, etc.?

Would they all run out of the room screaming, would they come to appreciate each genre as “different from what I’m used to, but potentially interesting,” or would any of them actually like “Back in Black?”

Bottom line: how flexible would these super-great guys be when it comes to liking tunes that are completely different from anything they’ve ever done?

OtayBW
11-21-2014, 04:40 PM
^ Doubtful that anyone would like everything, but I think that most would REALLY dig some....

Saint Vitus
11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Random thread drift - a thought experiment for musicians that I’ve always wondered about:

What would happen if I could time-travel and bring back Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and Verdi (pick any long-dead famous guys you like), sit them down in a studio and play for them a selection of more recent popular music, say, Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry, John Coltrane, Elvis Presley, Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Phillip Glass, Nirvana, etc.?

Would they all run out of the room screaming, would they come to appreciate each genre as “different from what I’m used to, but potentially interesting,” or would any of them actually like “Back in Black?”

Bottom line: how flexible would these super-great guys be when it comes to liking tunes that are completely different from anything they’ve ever done?

Likely this would occur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

Louis
11-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Likely this would occur:

I've seen that - very cool :)

gasman
11-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Likely this would occur:

That was hilarious !!! Thanks for sharing.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Mon plaisir!

victoryfactory
11-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Was not long or very professional. We played clubs, dances, block parties
and band shells along coastal CT from 1965 to 1969.
The Enlisted Mens Club in Groton, Sherry Shack in Branford, The Electric Grape (!) in Milford, The Pelican Club in Bridgeport. We got 2 or 3 gigs a week and
made pretty good money for high school punks.
Used to shower with my left hand in a plastic bag to keep my fingertips hard
enough to last through crazy 4 hour sets of
Soul, rock, Byrds, Cream, Buffalo Springfield Etc.
We were never really that good or creative or successful but we were livin' the
Dream for a few years till we all " grew up" and got real jobs
I'm super impressed by the amazing musicians who have posted here. I was never that good but we did get to taste a bit of the magic.
VF