PDA

View Full Version : Sealant in clincher tubes?

Lewis Moon
11-17-2014, 09:12 AM
There was a thread about this a while back but my Google Foo has abandoned me. I just ordered a bunch of butyl tubes with the remocable stem, so: what sealant (orange seal?), how much and how do you get it in?

buldogge
11-17-2014, 09:17 AM
I believe Ol' Tater uses Orange Seal in clincher tubes…1.5 - 2 oz. per tube (on a 23 or 25), I would say.

-Mark in St. Louis

There was a thread about this a while back but my Google Foo has abandoned me. I just ordered a bunch of butyl tubes with the remocable stem, so: what sealant (orange seal?), how much and how do you get it in?

tmf
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I use Orange Seal in my road tires (clinchers w/butyl tubes & tubulars w/butyl tubes). The Orange Seal bottle is available with a rubber tube and fitting in the cap that can be used to directly inject the sealant. I'm not sure how you can accurately measure the amount you add, though.

I use 2 oz per tire, and I have one of the small Stan's 2oz bottles that I reuse each time to fill the tires.

zennmotion
11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I have no experience with Orange Seal, but I use about 1.5 oz of Stans on 33mm CX tubulars. I think that 2 oz in a narrow 25mm road tube is probably overkill, I'd start with half that. I don't know how well sealant would work on a road tube though, because the high pressure and low volume (compared with a MTB or CX tire) wouldn't allow enough time for the hole to seal before the tire was essentially flat- especially a typical snakebite puncture. There's a reason that sealant isn't often used for narrow road tires- YMMV. Why bother I say, a 2 minute clincher tube swap certainly sounds easier than messing with sealant for a road/clincher application.

jh_on_the_cape
11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
I use sealant in tubes. You don't need the removeable valve core, I just use this injector thing from effeto mariposa. I used their foaming sealant, too.
I use less than they suggest.
http://www.amazon.com/Effetto-Mariposa-Caffelatex-Tire-Sealant/dp/B003CKOHDG

oldpotatoe
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Orange seal, about 2 oz per tube, take valve out, plastic tube on valve, squirt, valve guts back on. Spin tire around to distribute.

o2dazone
11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
For folks using it in road tubes, doesn't the sealant go shooting out when you start letting air out due to the high psi? I'd be worried about it sliming up the tube of my bike pump when I try to air up the tires.

tmf
11-17-2014, 07:53 PM
For folks using it in road tubes, doesn't the sealant go shooting out when you start letting air out due to the high psi? I'd be worried about it sliming up the tube of my bike pump when I try to air up the tires.

I pump my tires with the valve at the top of the wheel (at 12 o'clock) and find that there is a minimal amount of sealant that comes out. I tap the valve stem after I loosen it to let a little air out - that is when a little sealant comes out. I don't really notice any when I take off the pump head.

lil_champ
11-17-2014, 10:21 PM
You get a little sealant spraying out, but it's not that bad. I use Orange Seal and it works pretty well. I've been impressed how long it stays liquid in the tube without drying out.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2014, 06:01 AM

No as long as the valve is up when you pump. Most of the 2 oz or so coat the inside of the tube. Little goes a long way.

o2dazone
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
No as long as the valve is up when you pump. Most of the 2 oz or so coat the inside of the tube. Little goes a long way.

Thanks for the info, I'm a sucker for slight puncture resistance at the cost of little or no performance.

pakora
11-19-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm just repeating folks, but 2oz sounds like an incredible amount of sealant in a tube for a 23. I put that much in a cx tire run tubeless, and only about 50% more than that in a 2.25" 29er tire.

I have no experience putting sealant in tubes though.