PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a CX Tubular Puncture

Lovetoclimb
11-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Friend of mine punctured in a race Saturday and we attempted to seal it this morning. Due to being a Vittoria tubular it does not have a removeable valve core so I was unable to force the sealant in effectively. Has anyone had success sealing these?

Had a few suggestions already ranging from very tight plastic tubing that will seal around the valve core and only give the sealant one path which is into the tire. Also read a VeloNews Zinn article where a Vittoria rep said pit stop would work without removing valve cores. Just looking to point him in the right direction since my services did not live up to the donuts he supplied this morning!!!! (some friend I am!)

FWIW, the puncture is rather small, I have definitely seen larger holes seal up on tubeless MTB tires before.

Thanks!

Scuzzer
11-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Are you talking about the Vittoria tires with the red valves that unscrew from the tube but don't have a removable core? If so, I bought a pair of Maxxis MVS valves with removable cores to replace the red Vittoria ones. Anyone know what Vittoria was thinking with the stupid design of their valves?

buldogge
11-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Have you used the Maxxis valves yet? The threading is compatible??

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Are you talking about the Vittoria tires with the red valves that unscrew from the tube but don't have a removable core? If so, I bought a pair of Maxxis MVS valves with removable cores to replace the red Vittoria ones. Anyone know what Vittoria was thinking with the stupid design of their valves?

Scuzzer
11-17-2014, 09:33 AM
100% compatible. The Maxxis valves stay on the wheels I'm using and the Vittoria ones are left in a drawer in my shop. Plenty of miles and even a bottle or two of Stans out on the road confirm the Maxxis valves work just fine.

buldogge
11-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanx…These, correct?:

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-476-126-modular-valve-system

-Mark

100% compatible. The Maxxis valves stay on the wheels I'm using and the Vittoria ones are left in a drawer in my shop. Plenty of miles and even a bottle or two of Stans out on the road confirm the Maxxis valves work just fine.

zennmotion
11-17-2014, 09:38 AM
The red vittoria valves are removeable, but they unscrew at the base of the stem, just below the casing. PIA but you can take them out (carefully, don't twist the tube) and inject sealant directly into the tube- between 1 and 2 oz of Stan's- get the Stan's injector and a plastic hollow valve extender to make the connection, then remove the extender and replace the valve. You can also buy spare Vittoria valves if you mangled it during the removal but they're stupid expensive (15 bucks or so for $#%^ valve stem, really?)

PS Pit Stop is crap IMO, rarely works in a reliable way, and not cheap for a one-shot deal that leaves you with an unreliable tire at best. Unscrew the valve and use a better sealant if you want to minimize the risk of a slowly deflating tire at your next CX race or event.

Scuzzer
11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanx…These, correct?:

Yes. I bought mine on ebay a year and a half ago for $10.

Scuzzer
11-17-2014, 09:55 AM
As an alternative you could break the threaded nut off a red valve to drop the core out of the valve sleeve and use it to add sealant to the tubes. I've got one of those in my tubular kit bag I carry along with the aforementioned Stans and other tools.