PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne Pump Not Working....

oldguy00
11-16-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a steel floor drive pump, bought new a few months ago.
It worked fine the few times I used it, and its just been sitting in a closet for the past month.
I pulled it out yesterday, tried to pump up my wheels, and its like the pump has no pressure.
I thread the pump head onto the threaded vittoria valve (same wheels I've pumped in the past), and it won't pump them up. When I pull the pump up, its like it doesn't pull in any air, and if I let go of the handle, the pump just falls back down on its own, no air pressure in there.
Any ideas??
I bought it new from the LBS, so I plan to go in this week with it, but thought I'd check here in case anyone has had a similar experience.
As far as I can tell, the chuck seems to be in place fine, nothing unscrewed, etc..

ultraman6970
11-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Open the pump to start with... no idea if you can do that tho... some new models are like sealed, but to me sounds like the bottom ring/rubber piece is not attached to the stick thingy you use to pump. TO figure it out that you need open it. Usually the top of the pump is threaded to the main shaft tube, once that is off you pull the inflation shaft thingy out.

No idea whats your pump so cant tell for sure ok? But pretty much thats how all the stuff is since like 200 years ago.

Hope you can figure it out how to open it.

fourflys
11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Call Lezyne... they're a pretty good company...

oldguy00
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Open the pump to start with... no idea if you can do that tho... some new models are like sealed, but to me sounds like the bottom ring/rubber piece is not attached to the stick thingy you use to pump. TO figure it out that you need open it. Usually the top of the pump is threaded to the main shaft tube, once that is off you putt the inflation shaft thingy out.

No idea whats your pump so cant tell for sure ok? But pretty much thats how all the stuff is since like 200 years ago.

Hope you can figure it out how to open it.

Thanks. I just unscrewed the main tube from the base, it wasn't on very tight, so maybe that was part of it. There is about a full inch of threading, so I covered a lot of it with plumbers tape, and put the tube back on tight.
I then tried the pump again, and it still didn't seem to work great, it was like the first 2/3 of the down stroke put out no pressure and too easy to push, then just a little bit at the end you could feel a little pressure and maybe 3 psi goes into the tire.
I took the chuck off the tire and just pumped it up and down, and suddenly it felt like more pressure. Put it back on the valve, and now seems to be working.
No idea.......
Anyway, I was super tempted to get the new $400 silca pump, but I have a disc wheel too...so I think I am going to spend $80 on the Hirame pump head, and cut the chuck off a Specialized air tool pro I have, and put the Hirame on that, see if that then takes care of all my wheels for me...

cmg
11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
here's the link to Lezyne manuals. fine your type and download. http://www.lezyne.com/support-downloads.php

twors
11-16-2014, 04:04 PM
My Lezyne pump lasted about 9 months before pumping became weak. You'll need a pin spanner wrench to unscrew the top to gain access to the seal. The seal is nothing more than a single o-ring around the pistion head. You'll find a extra o-ring around the shaft that acts as a bumper, switch them around and all should be good....for awhile. Still waiting for Lezyne to respond in question to replacement o-rings or what size the o-ring is, its been 6 weeks. Crappy seal package IMO considering the construction of the rest of pump.

oldguy00
11-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I think I have a pin spanner, will try that tonight. It definitely feels like it isn't retaining pressure in the shaft. Pretty disappointing for a pump that seems to get such rave reviews.

ultraman6970
11-16-2014, 05:19 PM
My comment ok? as simpler the pump the better, the chuck is the secret too. A cheappo simple pump with a really simple aftermarket chuck can last for many years.

The problem is that as much pieces the pump has the worse you know, simple is the key word IMO.

The problem is that many american and european companies try to innovate creating these super presurized pumps with way too many parts that fail sometimes fairly quickly, starting by a chuck made of several rubber and plastic moveable parts. They need to justify the price IMO, more patents for being creative too.

Japanese pumps and some italian pumps like the silca ones (super old pumps are stupidly simple but they work) are just the feet base, then the tube shaft and the internal shaft tube thingy with a base made of rubber and pretty much thats it, then the air goes to a valve thingy that attach the tube and then you end with this silca type of chucks that are nothing else than a piece of metal with a rubber in the inside, that even when is old works, no moving parts, even you can fix them going to home depot and putting a piece of rubber from a faucet :D

Potato uses the japanese ones, I like silcas just because are cheap as hell and work like a charm with presta valves.

pcxmbfj
11-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I've had the same pump and it works well.
IMO
Either you are losing air from body or the plunger is not contacting the sides tightly enough to keep air from passing over instead of out into the hose.
Don't know the industry names for the parts but the manual will show to what I refer.
Stored that long may have allowed it to dry and shrink requiring lubrication.

fourflys
11-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I have a Lezyne pump I've had since 2008 and it has been fantastic... I have no doubt your pump may have an issue... I HIGHLY suggest before you tear it apart, you contact Lezyne customer service in the morning and see what they say...

Give the company a chance to make it right before ripping them on a forum...

oldguy00
11-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I have a Lezyne pump I've had since 2008 and it has been fantastic... I have no doubt your pump may have an issue... I HIGHLY suggest before you tear it apart, you contact Lezyne customer service in the morning and see what they say...

Well, i don't think I am ripping them on a forum. I asked for advice on an issue I've had. Companies are often slow to respond to customer inquiries, so its nice to post on a forum where others may have experienced the same thing.

I'm sure it is something to do with the seals/rings in the pump shaft.... I'll try contacting them to see what they say.

tv_vt
11-16-2014, 08:36 PM
I have seen that issue with these pumps, too. Some right on the showroom floor. Like there's no friction at all in the pumping chamber. A mechanic opened it up and put some lube on the ring, which acts like a gasket, I think, and it worked fine. I don't think it's a throw-away issue, just needs a little lube. Would guess that it sitting around for a few months caused it to dry out or something.

T

oldpotatoe
11-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks, I think I have a pin spanner, will try that tonight. It definitely feels like it isn't retaining pressure in the shaft. Pretty disappointing for a pump that seems to get such rave reviews.

Or

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Silca-Super-Pista-Track-Pump/m-19120.aspx?gclid=CJ_brLTOgcICFRKVfgodc3QAIg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedStates

When the head gets worn, get a Tanaka head and be done with it.

ultraman6970
11-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Tbats a steal for a super nice pump.

oldguy00
11-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Or

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Silca-Super-Pista-Track-Pump/m-19120.aspx?gclid=CJ_brLTOgcICFRKVfgodc3QAIg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedStates

When the head gets worn, get a Tanaka head and be done with it.

Oldp - I bought one of these new from Nashbar a few years back. I have no idea why, but I could not get the pump chuck to stay on the valve. I know everyone else loves these. What was I doing wrong??

oldguy00
11-17-2014, 07:28 AM
I have seen that issue with these pumps, too. Some right on the showroom floor. Like there's no friction at all in the pumping chamber. A mechanic opened it up and put some lube on the ring, which acts like a gasket, I think, and it worked fine. I don't think it's a throw-away issue, just needs a little lube. Would guess that it sitting around for a few months caused it to dry out or something.

T

Thanks. I did this last night, took the top off with my 20 year old bottom bracket pin spanner that I've been keeping in case I ever needed it for anything... :)
The two rubber gaskets on the bottom plunger had some green grease on them and appeared fine, not dried out. But I went ahead and added a bit of grease, and that did seem to help, pump is working a bit better now.

oldguy00
11-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Just wanted to follow up to Fourfly's post.
I emailed Lezyne using their website contact page on November 16th.
I've yet to hear anything from them.
So this is me now ripping them on a forum. Crappy pump, crappy customer service.

Jeff N.
11-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I too have a Lezyne floor pump. The chuck went to lunch so I bought another off ebay...problem solved.
I chucked the chuck
because the chuck sucked
so chuck your chuck
if your chuck sucks
and get a new chuck, Chuck!

oldpotatoe
11-21-2014, 09:53 AM
:)i too have a lezyne floor pump. The chuck went to lunch so i bought another off ebay...problem solved.
I chucked the chuck
because the chuck sucked
so chuck your chuck
if your chuck sucks
and get a new chuck, chuck!

:)

oldguy00
06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Well, after several more months with my assortment of pumps, I've noted the following:
- I hate the Leyzyne pump. It takes forever to pump anything up, its like it isn't really catching any air pressure when it pumps. I did try taking apart and re-greasing the washer or whatever it was that was recommened, and it helped a tiny bit, but not much. It also tends to unscrew my valve extenders, even when releasing the pressure button first.

- I then bought the hirami pump head, thinking it would be the magical solution. Cut off the POS pump head from my specialized pump that never worked properly, and installed it on there. Didn't work well, and also the head was too big to fit in my disc wheel opening (Zipp Super 9).

- After trying all these pumps, the only one that seems to put air in reliably is a 10+ year old orange pedros floor pump that has a rusted shaft and the original pump head on it.

I really wanted something new and nicer with more volume, but nothing seems to work well for me! Grrr... I'd even pay for the $400 Silca floor pump if I thought the f'ing head on it would stay on the valve, but my experience with their track pumps tell me they won't...

OtayBW
06-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Well, after several more months with my assortment of pumps, I've noted the following:
- I hate the Leyzyne pump. It takes forever to pump anything up, its like it isn't really catching any air pressure when it pumps. I did try taking apart and re-greasing the washer or whatever it was that was recommened, and it helped a tiny bit, but not much. It also tends to unscrew my valve extenders, even when releasing the pressure button first.

- I then bought the hirami pump head, thinking it would be the magical solution. Cut off the POS pump head from my specialized pump that never worked properly, and installed it on there. Didn't work well, and also the head was too big to fit in my disc wheel opening (Zipp Super 9).

- After trying all these pumps, the only one that seems to put air in reliably is a 10+ year old orange pedros floor pump that has a rusted shaft and the original pump head on it.

I really wanted something new and nicer with more volume, but nothing seems to work well for me! Grrr... I'd even pay for the $400 Silca floor pump if I thought the f'ing head on it would stay on the valve, but my experience with their track pumps tell me they won't...
Try using a non-threaded valve stem and your Silca. I've used a standard Silca floor pump this way for at least 20+ years with zero problem.

572cv
06-01-2015, 04:44 PM
I have a nice Lezyne floor pump, which lost its mojo in a similar way. Lezyne has always been good about standing behind their product, so I emailed them with a description of the issue and asked if they could sell me the gasket parts. They said, no, we'll get them out to you right away. No charge. The rubber o-ring around the plunger needed replacing, and that was that.

I would suggest contacting the company if you have not already. They are trying to back up their products, but can't if they don't know about the problem. My 2c's.

RedRider
06-01-2015, 05:06 PM
I am the Pump; there is no other Pump.

Ozrider
06-01-2015, 05:53 PM
I've used my Lezyne floor pump for about 6 years now with no issues and it gets used a lot between my 3 bikes, my wife's, my sons road and MTB.
My LBS has one they recently put seals in after years of daily use.
Lezyne has good warranty, take it back to the shop you bought it from.

moose8
06-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I had the exact same thing happen with my lezyne. A new oring fixed it but it took many tries to successfully reach anyone at Lezyne to get the oring.

Tony T
06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

…or buy 2 Lezyne's and spend the extra $350 on the bike :)

darkmother
06-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Exactly my experience. The O-ring seal lasts only a few months for me. Sure, I can measure it, and source a replacement-but still, shouldn't Lezyne be able to send me a replacement, or at very least tell me the spec on the part in their own pump?

My Lezyne pump lasted about 9 months before pumping became weak. You'll need a pin spanner wrench to unscrew the top to gain access to the seal. The seal is nothing more than a single o-ring around the pistion head. You'll find a extra o-ring around the shaft that acts as a bumper, switch them around and all should be good....for awhile. Still waiting for Lezyne to respond in question to replacement o-rings or what size the o-ring is, its been 6 weeks. Crappy seal package IMO considering the construction of the rest of pump.

Jeff N.
06-02-2015, 08:25 AM
I, too, splurged for one of these. Got a deal.

oldguy00
06-02-2015, 08:27 AM
I, too, splurged for one of these. Got a deal.

Please explain to me, how do you get a silca pump head to stay on the valve?!

Oh, and Lezyne got back to me finally, after I posted on their FB page. They said it was the o-ring and to go talk to my LBS..
Again, my old rusted pedros has never had a part replaced.....kind of frustrating...

OtayBW
06-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Please explain to me, how do you get a silca pump head to stay on the valve?!
Loctite Red - it's the only way...:rolleyes:

Jeff N.
06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
It's just the opposite for me...it's sometimes hard to get the pump head OFF the valve!

jemoryl
06-02-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't understand the pump fetish that some people have. About ten years ago I bought the cheapest decent pump I could find, a plastic thing from Planet Bike. Cash was short and I thought I could use it for awhile and then buy something better. Today I am still using it: the gauge seems accurate and the chuck is the standard two hole plastic thing with a thumb lever. It is also light to carry around and I wouldn't be gutted if I left it somewhere. Now I've jinxed myself and it will probably shatter into a thousand pieces next time I use it.

BTW, I have an ongoing gripe about the quality of small saddle bags. The small Lezyne seat bag I bought was one of the worst in a long line of bad bags: straps were too long (very typical seat and post) and the Velcro stopped working after a remarkably short period. All my e-mails to Lezyne went unanswered.

Jeff N.
06-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't understand the pump fetish that some people have. About ten years ago I bought the cheapest decent pump I could find, a plastic thing from Planet Bike. Cash was short and I thought I could use it for awhile and then buy something better. Today I am still using it: the gauge seems accurate and the chuck is the standard two hole plastic thing with a thumb lever. It is also light to carry around and I wouldn't be gutted if I left it somewhere. Now I've jinxed myself and it will probably shatter into a thousand pieces next time I use it.

BTW, I have an ongoing gripe about the quality of small saddle bags. The small Lezyne seat bag I bought was one of the worst in a long line of bad bags: straps were too long (very typical seat and post) and the Velcro stopped working after a remarkably short period. All my e-mails to Lezyne went unanswered.Get yourself a Topeak Wedge. The best, IMO.