PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo seatpost question

saab2000
03-21-2006, 07:46 PM
On my new Serotta I have an older Chorus Ti post. The serration (sp?) is such that It is either a mm or so nose-high or a mm or so nose-low. Or at least it seems that way. I have tried to measure and use a level, but it seems slightly-nose high. But if I go to the next notch forward it is slightly nose-low.

Somewhere I recall having read that the newer Campagnolo posts have a finer serration (sp again?) and allow for a finer adjustment. Has anyone else ever heard this? Could it be true?

Anyone have an older and newer post?

GregLR
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Saab2000

I can't help with your question re the old v new comparison, but I've found that I'm readily able to set a Rolls saddle level with my Chorus ti seatpost in a 73 degree seat tube. I recently switched it & the saddle intact to my Legend from another bike with the same angle seat tube, and I didn't have to readjust the saddle (I checked with a spirit level).

However, I found it impossible to get the saddle level when I used that Chorus ti seat post on a third bike a year or so ago - I played around for several frustrating hours trying. I don't know what the seat tube angle is on that bike (can't check now, I'm at work).

On reflection, this reply doesn't help at all, except to confirm that someone else has had an issue with that post, but I'll send it anyway.

Greg

bironi
03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I have two Campy seatposts from the past (one an Athena, the other a Chorus), and both are without the serrations. This gives infinitely fine adjustments with one bolt, which I like very much. I have run into the type you have, and I dislike them for the very reason you stated. I would get rid of the damn thing.

Byron

pale scotsman
03-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Mosey on over to http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=CATEGORY_VIEW&CATEGORY.ID=34&PAGE_NUM=2&PRSET_VERSION=1&TFC=TRUE&MODE= scroll down to campyville, and eyeball the new posts. CC has a cool zoom feature and they do say there's a new groove pattern that has halved the distance between the grooves.

Headwinds
03-21-2006, 09:47 PM
After 2004, Campy changed the serration on their seatposts and added more "teeth" for finer tunning of the saddle tilt....

I am not certain about seatposts below the Chorus.... I use Fizik Arione saddles and I do not have a problem with the pre-2004 Campy posts. Fizik Arione saddles should be set slighly nose down.

chrisroph
03-21-2006, 09:47 PM
I could never get the level right with the new campy posts and jettisoned them for.....thomson, ritchey, thomson, ritchey.....and old campy one bolt and 2 bolt nuovo record and american classic.

Peter P.
03-21-2006, 09:54 PM
If you can't find seatpost nirvana with your Campy post, I highly suggest you buy a Salsa Shaft.

The tilt adjustment is the slickest around as it uses a cam operated by a 5mm allen wrench. It's INFINITELY adjustable for angle, and the angle adjustment does NOT disturb the fore/aft adjustment as the rails stay firmly clamped while tilting the seat.

I like the Shaft so much I bought one for my second bike.

saab2000
03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
I have thought of the Salsa shaft. It is the only one of those mentioned with enough setback. Neither Thomson nor Ritchey match the Campagnolo post, but I think Salsa does.

chrisroph
03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Salsa looks very functional. My bent thomsons work well with SI saddles and 72 sta's. The ritcheys work well with SI saddle all the way back with 73 sta's, 57 legend and 56 al leader (actually 72.8). What frame are you shopping for, 57 serotta with 73 sta?

Samster
03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
in my life, i have purchased and used:

sr
campy
thomson
thomson
campy
no-name bianchi
synchros
easton
kalloy
campy
salsa shaft

so far, the salsa has been the best, atmho.

The Spider
03-22-2006, 02:25 AM
the technical term for the serrations is 'knurling pitch' (I like your term better :) )

the new posts have 0.5mm pitch

2004 onwards have the 0.5 pitch it was reduced from 1mm pitch on 2003 and previous.

and why yes that is a Campy tattoo on my left buttock :p

Climb01742
03-22-2006, 04:00 AM
another option with infinite tilt adjustment is a bontrager post. very simple, too. only down side: graphics may not be to everyone's liking.

Jeff Weir
03-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Climb,
Gotta agree with you on the Bontrager post. Super easy to setup and adjust, but the graphics are a bit too strong for my liking. If you like to experiment with your postion the Bontrager is the way to go.

Jeff

saab2000
03-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Good suggestions all, but I am afraid that my Serotta (well, not just the Serotta, but all my bikes) will reject any components not from Campagnolo. Have you ever tried to put same-polarity magnets together? Same thing. I will probably try a Record carbon post. I still have a 2001 on my Merckx Ti which is going strong.

Tommasini
03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Take the lower cradle (the loose piece that has serrations on it) and turn it around 180 degrees, put the saddle back on and try to reset the saddle position. This piece is symetrical in general terms - just that those serrations are usually not perfectly symetrical such that you may be able to get to exactly the nose up/down position you are shooting toward.

saab2000
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Take the lower cradle (the loose piece that has serrations on it) and turn it around 180 degrees, put the saddle back on and try to reset the saddle position. This piece is symetrical in general terms - just that those serrations are usually not perfectly symetrical such that you may be able to get to exactly the nose up/down position you are shooting toward.

Very good suggestion! Thanks!

Mud
03-22-2006, 11:30 AM
There has also been much discussion of Brooks saddles, the purchase of which can test sanity to the max. :crap:

I have solution if you a willing to drop a dime on a really nice post with infinite adjustment. Try Bold Precision. I put one on my wife's bike, it looks great and the clamp is easy to set. It had to be custom made for the with of the rails of the Brooks which are slightly narrower than what appears to be standard.