PDA

View Full Version : OT - Audi owners

tiretrax
11-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have noise issues with the (foldable) rear seat squeaking when its empty and in the upright position? I just bought a used A6, and it's making me want to return the car? I don't know what it's called, but the clamp (female receptor) that holds and releases the bar that sticks out from the frame is a little loose - does anyone know a fix for this? Can the thing be adjusted to hold the bar tighter and not squeak?

Louis
11-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Did you try lubing it a bit?

vqdriver
11-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Which generation, c6?
Try that subforum in the many audi sites. Seems like it would be something common that can be fixed at home.

AngryScientist
11-15-2014, 08:58 PM
euro car owners are like cults.

find the most popular online forum for your particular car and search. guaranteed someone has a better engineering fix than OEM.

the amount of information that is shared online these days is tremendous and awesome. it has made euro car ownership for the DIY home mechanic so much easier and better.

Dead Man
11-15-2014, 09:03 PM
My Volvo wagon does this.. drives me nuts, but not enough that I've done anything about it. Mine's kind of a piece of ····, though... yours is probably still nice. Makes a difference, for some reason

My buddy just got his Audi's 75,000 mile timing belt done... $1500

ouch

Ti Designs
11-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Find the knob on the center console marked "volume" and turn it clockwise - problem solved!

cmg
11-15-2014, 10:47 PM
on google type Audi A6 rear seat squeak. found this http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/back-seat-squeak-errr-2777457/page2/

or buy a honda, drive it till the motor explodes then replace the motor and repeat. if you want excitement disconnect the brakes.........

oldpotatoe
11-16-2014, 05:59 AM
My Volvo wagon does this.. drives me nuts, but not enough that I've done anything about it. Mine's kind of a piece of ····, though... yours is probably still nice. Makes a difference, for some reason

My buddy just got his Audi's 75,000 mile timing belt done... $1500

ouch

Yup expensive but a Outback one is about $1250-$1350. My Beetle-$700...Not doing a POS Kia-$4500..engine rebuild.

1centaur
11-16-2014, 06:05 AM
The tape that is felted on one side and sticky on the other can solve issues with loose interfaces in a car that lead to squeaks.

tiretrax
11-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks. I'll try to find some lithium spray. Never heard of it.

Regarding the Honda - I have a Lexus I bought over a decade ago with 110k miles for $6,000. It now has 244k and drives perfectly. However, I bent the hood when the lady in front of me at a traffic light decided to start and then stop suddenly. I didn't stop in time - hood won't latch and flies up over 50 mph or on a gusty day. It's too expensive to fix, so it's time for a new car. The Audi is more fuel efficient, drives like a demon, and has great practicallity due to its folding seat (other than the squeak).

Ttx1
11-16-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm on Audi #5, wagon #4.

B5 / C6 era cars had a removable, retractable divider screen between the rear seats and the cargo area. May be present on some later cars as well.

Unless you actively use the divider to keep a pet in the back, etc, you may as well remove it - In many cases, it eliminates a squeak and lightens the folding seat backs.

Good luck.

cmg
11-16-2014, 11:14 AM
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/TireChanging12.jpg

College roomate had a Audi 100LS, beautifu car and when it ran it was excellent. then we had a flat and i saw the jack. I knew the car was special, reinvent the wheel kind of special. when the one of the motor mounts went out, we discovered the motor was hung down from the frame. very different from a chevy. OF course it was the one nearest the exhaust. the replacement packaging said it was sensitive to heat. we made a heat sheild from a coke can. After he had spent the amount he paid for the car in repairs he sold it. AUDI owners are a special breed. Enjoy the quirks, it will give you a chance to improvise.

r1lee
11-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Our q7 rear seats squeak, it comes from the head rests.

sam.g
11-16-2014, 03:12 PM
I've got a 2010 A6 Avant and notice a squeak from the rear seats when folded down, no noise when in up right position. Tried all kinds of lube on the hinges but to no avail, I believe it to be the split seat halves rubbing against each other, leather on leather! I now try to keep the seats up when a bike isn't in back.

Sam in Cincy

Corso
11-16-2014, 06:35 PM
A squeaky seat will be the least of your Audi problems...

Nooch
11-16-2014, 07:39 PM
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/TireChanging12.jpg

College roomate had a Audi 100LS, beautifu car and when it ran it was excellent. then we had a flat and i saw the jack. I knew the car was special, reinvent the wheel kind of special.

Gotta love the widow-maker.

Louis
11-16-2014, 07:57 PM

anything to save weight

AngryScientist
11-16-2014, 08:00 PM

good heavens i have some experience with these POS's. anyone who has ever changed a tire on the side of the road knows you usually wind up pulling as far off the road as possible. off camber, usually on the dirt or grass. try getting that thing to set-up in a stable way on less than level blacktop. awful design for a piece of equipment you have to use in much less than an ideal setting 95% of the time. accident waiting to happen.

Gsinill
11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Pretty much standard on most European cars (at least German brands).
Used them or similar designs for the first 35 years of my automotive life and never had an issue with it. Guess you just need to be used to them.
If you really worry, carry a 20cm long piece of a 2x4 as a base for uneven surfaces and you're good to go.

good heavens i have some experience with these POS's. anyone who has ever changed a tire on the side of the road knows you usually wind up pulling as far off the road as possible. off camber, usually on the dirt or grass. try getting that thing to set-up in a stable way on less than level blacktop. awful design for a piece of equipment you have to use in much less than an ideal setting 95% of the time. accident waiting to happen.

cmg
11-16-2014, 10:19 PM
car fell twice then we went and bought a screw jack from the junk yard. the one we had was worse, round cylinder with a rubber ball at the end. the screw part is similar. terrible idea.

don compton
11-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have noise issues with the (foldable) rear seat squeaking when its empty and in the upright position? I just bought a used A6, and it's making me want to return the car? I don't know what it's called, but the clamp (female receptor) that holds and releases the bar that sticks out from the frame is a little loose - does anyone know a fix for this? Can the thing be adjusted to hold the bar tighter and not squeak?
For a moment, I thought I was on the Audiworld forum. As an A7 owner, I am questioning the logic of looking to this forum for advice regarding Audis.:confused:

tiretrax
11-16-2014, 10:52 PM
For a moment, I thought I was on the Audiworld forum. As an A7 owner, I am questioning the logic of looking to this forum for advice regarding Audis.:confused:

Lots of OT discussions of cars on this forum. Wanted a layman's viewpoint, too.

soulspinner
11-17-2014, 05:49 AM
Thanks. I'll try to find some lithium spray. Never heard of it.

Regarding the Honda - I have a Lexus I bought over a decade ago with 110k miles for $6,000. It now has 244k and drives perfectly. However, I bent the hood when the lady in front of me at a traffic light decided to start and then stop suddenly. I didn't stop in time - hood won't latch and flies up over 50 mph or on a gusty day. It's too expensive to fix, so it's time for a new car. The Audi is more fuel efficient, drives like a demon, and has great practicallity due to its folding seat (other than the squeak).

Just get a hood from a junkyard or pound it and put race type latches on it.....

cmg
11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Sure wish the roomate's Audi looded like this 100Ls. A6 looks kool, not as radical though.

wallymann
11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
has a rattle deep down inside the dashboard/cowl.

it rattles only when the temps are below 30F and when i lug the car by accellerating in a low gear from parking-lot speeds.

i'm guessing the cold makes some plastic mount-point contract enough to create a tiny gap that resonates at that particular harmonic.

eminently fixable with some caulk or foam padding, except that i'd need to tear out the entire dash to access the spot!

r1lee
11-18-2014, 11:13 AM
A squeaky seat will be the least of your Audi problems...

lol, this is so true. We've had 3 Audi's in the family and probably will be our last, looking at something a little bit more reliable.