PDA

View Full Version : Build-up Advice - Ottrott

Twilight228
11-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I recently picked up a frame locally, and would love some input/advice on the build-up.

On a random craigslist search searching for Serotta, I spotted an Ottrott (I think an '05) ideally sized, and could resist what seemed like a rare the opportunity.

My intention is to build the bike appropriately, but don't want to send a fortune. I'm thinking 9-speed dura ace, but would love opinions.

Thanks in advance

Jay

cash05458
11-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi Jay...welcome...you have already started to sail in the wrong direction so let me help you with the compass...first off, Campagnolo 9 speed is the way you want to go! You could certainly piece a gruppo of say, Chorus 9, on here for a very reasonable price as folks are really helpful...

That said, I do have one of my bikes worked up with shimano dura 9 and it is a great groupset as well...nothing wrong with it at all and it works flawlessly but it just isn't campy...

Wheelset...you will get lots of differ opinions...but I think you really can't go wrong with mavic open pro...tough as nails and great wheels...you can get a used set for a very reasonable price as well...if you are not going to get into worry about weights of things, they are great...all my bikes have open pros and some of the wheelsets are going on 16 or 17 years or so and never had a single problem with any of them...just good solid wheels...

Louis
11-15-2014, 05:33 PM
My intention is to build the bike appropriately, but don't want to send a fortune.

Hi Jay,

I may not be representative of the typical cyclist, but IMO unless we're talking about a concourse-type bike or something to be ridden in L'Eroica, I say put whatever you feel like. I think 9-spd DA would be great. But if you happened to have an 11-spd Campy Record on hand that would work to. Whatever does what you need.

Louis
11-15-2014, 05:37 PM
but it just isn't campy...

Which for many folks would be a perfectly good reason to use DA :)

Shimano or Campy will shift the bike just as well, but if you're a Rapha-wearing type who's all about trying to look cool and impressing the other guys on the ride, then by all means, go Campy.

cash05458
11-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Shimano or Campy will shift the bike just as well, but if you're a Rapha-wearing type who's all about trying to look cool and impressing the other guys on the ride, then by all means, go Campy.

LOL Louis...is that right? so now Campagnolo and Rapha have been conflated? nice touch...btw, I don't own any rapha stuff...I will have to get started I see...damn, I am going to have to get rid of all of my bike nashbar winter tights...

veloduffer
11-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I think 10-speed at the minimum. Agree- Campy is the way to go. I owned an Ottrott and had Campy 11. If you get Athena, you can get alloy-silver cranks and shifters for a classic look. A nice set of Velocity A23 in silver would also make a nice wheelset. It's a great ride--enjoy.

Louis
11-15-2014, 05:59 PM
damn, I am going to have to get rid of all of my bike nashbar winter tights...

Agreed. You might consider replacing the Nashbar stuff with some Assos Bonka something or other ;)

http://assos.com/fileUpload/images/2960_4.jpg

cash05458
11-15-2014, 06:02 PM
I am gonna need those cool glasses as well...my 8 year old nashbar set is not getting the thumbs up they used to on my james dean group rides...:eek:

What kinda shades are those in the pic Louis? I love em...they look exactly what my serotta riding, rapha high fiving dentist wears while giving me root canals as he is afraid of catching the aids...

Seramount
11-15-2014, 06:12 PM
campy, schmampy...meh.

just as long as you don't go SRAM...

cash05458
11-15-2014, 06:18 PM
of course duraace would be fine...and so would 9 speed...that particular groupset, 6700 if I remember right, was one of the best...cranks on it are awesome...the ultegra 9, the 6500, was fantastic as well...still, I would go campagnolo if I were the guy...campy chorus or record 9 were so good he should just cut right to the chase...

But I agree: stay away from scram...

Twilight228
11-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I've read enough posts to have know better than to setup a manufacturer debate...my bad. I guess I wanted to make sure there wasn't recent negative opinions of the DA 9-speed. I could have asked that directly.

I really appreciate the open pro suggestion, and will explore. I'm more focused on dependability, and ride than I am weight. Any other suggestion would also be appreciated.

I have nothing against campy, my bikes have always had Shimano, and it's what I know. The thought was to keep it simple, and not introduce a new system.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Louis
11-15-2014, 06:30 PM
What kinda shades are those in the pic Louis? I love em...they look exactly what my serotta riding, rapha high fiving dentist wears while giving me root canals as he is afraid of catching the aids...

You'll have to ask my good buddy Andrea Zamboni:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9EERSlBKkI

cash05458
11-15-2014, 06:30 PM
I've read enough posts to have know better than to setup a manufacturer debate...my bad. I guess I wanted to make sure there wasn't recent negative opinions of the DA 9-speed. I could have asked that directly.

I really appreciate the open pro suggestion, and will explore. I'm more focused on dependability, and ride than I am weight. Any other suggestion would also be appreciated.

I have nothing against campy, my bikes have always had Shimano, and it's what I know. The thought was to keep it simple, and not introduce a new system.

Really appreciate the feedback.

no worries...it aint a manufacture debate...all tongue in cheek bud...but yeah, look at anyhow, open pros...there are other good sets out there but alot of those around...you can get a good used set with dura hubs, and the ultegra hubs are great as well, for 250 or so if you look...and the cliche about being "bombproof" I think was invented for open pros...good, cool, solid wheelsets in my opinon...

weisan
11-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Jay-pal, let's start all over... You been here for a while, you understand the great variety of opinions.

If you already have shimano 9-speed stuff in your possession and a set of quality wheels that that you like, just go ahead and use them. I still uses ultegra 9 speed on my main ride, absolutely nothing wrong with it, performs flawlessly every time I get on the bike, and it's not slowing me down a bit.

Just make sure you take the time to dial in your position... If not, regardless of whether is an ottrott or campy, everything will come to naught. You won't enjoy your new ride...not for very long, I can guarantee you that, it will end up on the Classified eventually.

That is all.

cash05458
11-15-2014, 06:34 PM
What is the size of your headset? does it take a older 1 inch stem or a 1 and 1/8th?

cash05458
11-15-2014, 06:38 PM
You'll have to ask my good buddy Andrea Zamboni:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9EERSlBKkI

ok...that makes sense...not only a model for assos but a Tri guy...:butt:

I don't go THAT way Louis...!

PaMtbRider
11-15-2014, 06:40 PM
9-speed dura ace is good stuff and would be period correct for that bike. If you already have the group it would be a good way to go. If you need to buy the group I would rather have Ultegra 6800. It will cost less and work better.

Twilight228
11-15-2014, 06:53 PM
The headset is 1 1/8, and the frame set came with a chris king, so I'm good there.

I do not have a set of DA-9 laying around, and will be buying the group that fits the bike out. I have an OK wheelset that I will use for now, but I want to put a competent group on what I won't have to touch for a while. I'm surprised an ultegra 11-speed set would cost less than a DA-9, I will definitely look.

I will take the time to get setup, it's basically my current frameset with a 0.5 cm shorter top tube, and 0.5 degree more upright seat tube. Both were desired changes. The setup advice is much appreciated, and an appropriate comment for an unknown, like myself.

I'm not 100% sure what the BB is, if anyone knows that would be much appreciated. I believe its english, but I haven't measure length.

If I were to go Campy, how strongly encouraged are those glasses??????

Louis
11-15-2014, 07:01 PM
If I were to go Campy, how strongly encouraged are those glasses??????

Only if you're also rockin' an Assos kuKuPenthouse.

Jeff N.
11-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Campy Athena-11.

cash05458
11-15-2014, 07:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ace-9-speed-Bottom-Bracket-7700-/181577243820?pt=US_Bottom_Brackets&hash=item2a46d8dcac

these would be your numbers if you are doing shimano 9 speed...it is a 109.5

Matthew
11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
BB will be English and threaded. The best kind!!

Dead Man
11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't fixate on 9-speed. Now that 11 is so proliferate, you can find almost just as good a deals on 10 as 9. Especially 7800, which is a great group- probably really no price difference at all, apples to apples.

And there's NO better time of the year to be in the market, price wise. Just gotta watch CL and greedebay close.

cash05458
11-15-2014, 07:12 PM
and via seatpost...try a thompson...great posts and folks sell them used on here all the time for around 40 to 50 bucks...solid and good stuff! you can put a WTD ad on here asking...wanted to buy...and folks are really helpful and they know their stuff...it is a good community...you found the right place to make friends and do a good build!

cash05458
11-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't fixate on 9-speed. Now that 11 is so proliferate, you can find almost just as good a deals on 10 as 9. Especially 7800, which is a great group- probably really no price difference at all, apples to apples.

And there's NO better time of the year to be in the market, price wise. Just gotta watch CL and greedebay close.

true actually what everyone is saying...it is prolly far easier and even abit cheaper to go ten...the shimano 9 speed bb's are getting hard to find and octalink is getting rarer as it was a sorta niche shimano did...so as B says...apples to apples...

Twilight228
11-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks all for your input. Very much appreciated.

One more for tonight; is a Ti seatpost worth the investment?

Louis
11-15-2014, 11:05 PM
One more for tonight; is a Ti seatpost worth the investment?

Only if it's the only one that will do the job you need it to do.

dekindy
11-15-2014, 11:19 PM
If you don't want to break the bank then go Shimano 105 10-speed groupset. You can probably get a high quality used or take-off new group for $280-$350 if you are patient.

Richey makes very affordable components.

Wheels are where you want to spend your money. I would recommend Shimano Ultegra 6800's; tubeless and 11-speed compatible. Probably get them for less than $600 new.

Get an aluminum seat post, preferably 2-bolt design with long bottom supports that will accommodate any saddle rails or saddle. Somewhere along the line you will thank me for this one.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I recently picked up a frame locally, and would love some input/advice on the build-up.

On a random craigslist search searching for Serotta, I spotted an Ottrott (I think an '05) ideally sized, and could resist what seemed like a rare the opportunity.

My intention is to build the bike appropriately, but don't want to spend a fortune. I'm thinking 9-speed dura ace, but would love opinions.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Not sure what that means but I think a 10s or at least 11s build would best. At least if shimano, 11s compatible wheels. 11s isn't any kind of answer but that's where the road bike stuff is headed or is already there.

BUT 7800(exposed housing) is nice stuff, as is 7900. shimano tends to stop production of the previous iteration pretty quickly so discount 7900 is pretty easy to find BUT, I think you would be happy with something Campagnolo.

Chorus, new shape levers, 11s, would be my choice..maybe older 2010/11/12 Record discounted after they changed the logos.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2014, 05:49 AM

DOH..that looks like......errrr....focus in, look close...

NOT Campagnolo..but he is making a statement about what he thinks of his shimano stuff...PU

Vientomas
11-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Rapha and Specialized? How disappointing.

malcolm
11-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Campy and shimano will be debated for years to come. I run campy on the road bikes and always have. Shimano will work great as well, seems fine on my mtn bikes. I even have, gulp, sorry OP SRAM on one mtn bike and it works as well.

Now the mavic open pros. Just an opinion but for similar money I think there are many other options. 15 years ago I had several sets, but none in recent years, nothing special and make noise.

dekindy
11-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Handbuilt Pacenti SL23 rims built with White Industries hubs would be great wheels.

Twilight228
11-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Before i start looking, how difficult is it to build a wheelset. The process seems to be surround by a bit of mystique (at least in my mind).

I'm pretty capable mechanically, and have a well stocked garage, but I would imagine there is a unique torque wrench involved that I don't have. I do love a build project though.

Let me know, and be gentle if it's a bad question.

malcolm
11-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Before i start looking, how difficult is it to build a wheelset. The process seems to be surround by a bit of mystique (at least in my mind).

I'm pretty capable mechanically, and have a well stocked garage, but I would imagine there is a unique torque wrench involved that I don't have. I do love a build project though.

Wheel building is not a black art and really not that difficult. Like many things experience helps. It does require some tools, nothing too extravagant, you will need a truing stand which can be found fairly inexpensively and you will need a book, Jobst Brant is probably the gold standard, I'm sure there are others.

All that said unless this is something you are really interested in and expect to do with some regularity you should have an experienced builder do it for you. You'll be more pleased with the product and less frustrated. It you like that sort of thing then by all means go for it. There are many good builders right here. Eric from ergot wheels is a member and very good, I think old potato still builds and others.

rwsaunders
11-16-2014, 11:59 AM
If you don't have a 9 speed group in the parts bin, move on up the ladder to 10 speed at least. I say that as someone who has DA 9 speed on one of my bikes. The clean look of the cable routing alone makes sense with the Ottrott.

If the rest of your bikes run Shimano and you have a stash of wheels, sticking with Shimano might make sense. Or you might take a walk on the wild side and find out how the other half lives with Campagnolo.

dekindy
11-16-2014, 12:05 PM
If you are handy with your hands, mechanically inclined, and generally tackle do it yourself projects with great success, then by all means try building your own wheels. You have to be able to true the wheels and dish the rear wheel. There are lots of books and videos and you might even be able to borrow the tools or get your LBS to do final check for free.

This does not describe me so I would not even consider building a wheel. Good luck. Don't believe you will save much money as the labor of building the wheel is the least expensive cost of a handbuilt wheel.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Well, it's not hard but it can be difficult. Getting 4 variables correct all at the same time can be challenging. Most of us who build wheels started a while ago on our own wheels, at least I did. But even after 29 years, a wheel build is still fun, challenging and very satisfying.

Decent, proper spoke wrench, truing stand, way to check dish and tension.. Couple of good books and videos out there that talks about the why and where-for.

Jobst Brandt, Gerd Schraener(sp?)....others.

sc53
11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
When I got my Ottrott in 2005 the "period correct" group on it was Dura Ace 7800! I since upgraded it to 7900 for the hidden cables and better lever shape. I also spec'd the Dura Ace 7800 wheel set which is still going strong. In 9 years I have only had to true the front wheel once. These are really nice wheels if you can find them.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/reviews/shimano_dura-ace_wheels/DSCN1821

Twilight228
11-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, it looks like the momentum has shifted to Campy, as I believe I have purchased a 10-speed Campy group. I very much appreciate the recommendation to compare the 9 and 10 speed, and agree the clean look is a plus.

I am intrigued by the sl23 recommendation, but the wheelsets I've found are pretty pricey from my perspective (north of 1k). Am I looking in the wrong places?

If I were to have the built, what are thoughts on DT Swiss hubs (240s)?

I appreciate the references, but from what I'm reading I don't think I would; 1 - do it with enough frequency be competent, and 2 - frequently enough to justify the tool expense.

Truly appreciate all the advice.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, it looks like the momentum has shifted to Campy, as I believe I have purchased a 10-speed Campy group. I very much appreciate the recommendation to compare the 9 and 10 speed, and agree the clean look is a plus.

I am intrigued by the sl23 recommendation, but the wheelsets I've found are pretty pricey from my perspective (north of 1k). Am I looking in the wrong places?

I appreciate the references, but from what I'm reading I don't think I would; 1 - do it with enough frequency be competent, and 2 - frequently enough to justify the tool expense.

DT240 great hubs but look at DT350 also. Some 'off shore' components but still great hubs for less $. Also White Industry or my personal choice, Record hubs, best design of the bunch, imho.

coreywood
11-20-2014, 10:19 PM
If I may chime in about wheels only. Do not buy Shimano wheels. Shimano j-bend hubs are classic don't shy away from them but Shimano wheels are the enemy. Everything is proprietary. But, that is something a wheelbuilder would say, so grain of salt I guess ;)

Dead Man
11-20-2014, 11:29 PM
If I may chime in about wheels only. Do not buy Shimano wheels. Shimano j-bend hubs are classic don't shy away from them but Shimano wheels are the enemy. Everything is proprietary. But, that is something a wheelbuilder would say, so grain of salt I guess ;)

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140121172907/gta-myths/images/6/6d/Lol_wut.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-21-2014, 06:14 AM

errr..all wheelsouttaboxes are proprietary, all of them. Mavic, Campagnolo, Fulcrum, shimano, Corima, putnameofwheelhere...

mktng
11-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Long time Shimano rider. Started off with Shhrrraam Rival. Made my way to Dura Ace couple years ago. Been loving it ever since. 7700/7800/7900 all great groups. However..... Recently built a bike with 10spd Centaur..... Must say... Being the lower end of Campagnolo... I was quite impressed. So much so.... Now I'm looking for some record or super record for future upgrade. I've never had to yet.... But the rebuilding abilities of Campagnolo is a HUGE plus imo. Shimano will always win in the affordable replacement category though. Things to think about if your going older Gen groups.

Never dabbled into the sram line up. Ever. Besides Rival. Good starter group. Just didn't like anything about it. Haha

macaroon
11-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Good choice on the Campag. The Pacenti rims look awesome. A good (possibly cheaper) alternative are Hplusson Archetypes. I would go with the DT 350 hub since it's cheaper than the 240 and very similar. Just limited options with the number of spokes you can use.

Twilight228
11-23-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking about grabbing a used wheelset for now, with the goal on building a set in the next year. Trying to decide whether to pick up a "new take-off" that would be serviceable in the interim, or look for a “better” set that’s seen some use. I've seen a few sets go across the classifieds this week that were probably good candidates.

Any thoughts there?

In the opposite direction, how difficult is it to touch-up the finish on scuffed hubs (specifically the 240s and 340s)? They're out there to be had used, but often look a little rought. Is the finis paint, or anodized on most black hubs. I wouldn't touch an attempt to refinish anodized with a stick.