PDA

View Full Version : Am Currently Test Riding a SMP Dynamic Saddle

Ralph
11-14-2014, 04:06 PM
About 10 years ago....when I was 63, my butt began to bother me on longer rides. Then shorter rides, etc. Rode Regals for years. Went to all the Docs.....Gastrointestinal, Orthopedic, Eurologist, etc. No one found anything unusual other than an aging butt, with weakened muscles, some Coccyx issues, some diverticulosis, enlarging prostate, etc. Just a standard old butt that's been riding for about 40 years. And sorta got figured out effects of change in seat height, set back, angle, left or right toward a longer leg, etc. Hey.....I know what every change does to my butt ache. Then couple years ago....had the laser surgery to my prostrate. Now I know my butt will never be able to do centuries again, but it will hold up to 3-4 days riding a week totalling 125-150 miles OK. I'll just walk the other days for exercise.

Went thru a lot of different saddles. Mostly discovered I could ride a bunch of them if I got the adjustment right for me. Mostly prefer well padded saddles about 140 MM wide with cut out, soft contoured edges, with large rear cutout. Some flat sit bone saddles with sharp edges kill me (mostly Specialized). Wound up finding enough relief with two Terry Fly Ti's. Tried all the Fizik's, Selle,Specialized, etc, but no SMP. Til now.....The SMP test program....where you put up a deposit....then start riding different saddles. LBS has a rack of them.

This SMP saddle could be a solution for a lot of people or maybe not. What I think is great about the test program is you get to try out a lot of saddles, without feeling bad about returning one and trying another. (LBS also allows you to buy and return other brands, buy and return) These saddles come in many variations of width and padding, so you really learn a lot about saddle set up when you get in this test program. It's worth it just for the learning experience about what changes and tweeks work for your butt and what doesn't. If you need padding, how wide or narrow, etc.

For the me the Dynamic model works very well. However.....I've gone thru most of the SMP's on the rack, and learned so much about saddle set up, I reinstalled one of my old saddles a little differently than before, and it worked, so no need to buy a new $260 saddle. But I could live with a Dynamic or the 209 Light just fine. Great program! If you are in any health or age related situation like me, give them a try. BTW....I plan to keep riding as long as I can.

rnhood
11-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Which shop down there has the SMP test program?

I've test ridden several SMP's, the Dynamic and Lite209 included. I found the width just a bit narrow for me - the Dynamic in particular. The "Pro" and "Plus" models fit me better - tho the "Plus" model is borderline wide. But for now, I'm still on a Specialized Romin. Its constructed similar to the SMP saddles, just not quite as extreme in the curves and cutout. I can get 120 or 130 miles logged before being too bothered and that's good enough for me. I don't do really long rides anymore so I'm content with the Romin. Its not the perfect saddle but its plenty acceptable.

Ralph
11-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Which shop down there has the SMP test program?

I've test ridden several SMP's, the Dynamic and Lite209 included. I found the width just a bit narrow for me - the Dynamic in particular. The "Pro" and "Plus" models fit me better - tho the "Plus" model is borderline wide. But for now, I'm still on a Specialized Romin. Its constructed similar to the SMP saddles, just not quite as extreme in the curves and cutout. I can get 120 or 130 miles logged before being too bothered and that's good enough for me. I don't do really long rides anymore so I'm content with the Romin. Its not the perfect saddle but its plenty acceptable.

Got mine at Orange Cycle in College Park. Don't know if David's World has program.

Climb01742
11-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Now that the Romin no longer comes in 130 (why, Specialized, why???) I may check out one of the 130ish SMPs.

Ralph, after all your rides on SMPs, what lessons did you learn about set-up? Thx.

MattTuck
11-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Ralph,

I wish someone would write a story about fitting the saddle properly. It is my belief that the saddle is the most important part of the bicycle for enjoyment, comfort and performance. I've been through atleast 5 saddles this year, and am still not 100% satisfied with the one I'm using now. as I rotate my pelvis forward, my current saddle seems to be ok in some orientations (on the ramus) and not in others. It is frustrating to no end. And has a big impact on my position. I have to make sacrifices in my optimal position to accommodate my delicate posterior.

Between sit bone pain and chaffing, I end my rides at 30-40 miles predominantly because of a saddle issue, not because my legs/lungs can't handle it.

If you have some special technique for making a saddle comfortable, please share it.

Ralph
11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Now that the Romin no longer comes in 130 (why, Specialized, why???) I may check out one of the 130ish SMPs.

Ralph, after all your rides on SMPs, what lessons did you learn about set-up? Thx.

Well....in addition to height adjustment, set back (which effects your hip angle that's presented to the seat), left or right pointing to longer leg, etc.....In the past most of my seats were pretty much level. So I would adjust with a capenter level on top of a flat board....could measure to 1 degree. Usually slight nose down on bike with about 4" drop from saddle to hoods.

But like Specialized Romin.....on these saddles, I started out just eyeballing spot on the wall getting the middle of saddle level. Then making slight changes from there. Also....the SMP with it's rear hump, changes the angle your hips rotate to saddle. This has effect also. Gotta understand this. Everyone has their own system, but you have to be able to make small changes, and know what changes you made.

jbal3242
11-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I've been curious also about the dynamic since it matches my sit bone width but read some reviews of the SMP saddles complaining about too much pressure on the sit bone area since the cut out takes away some of the saddle area to distribute the pressure away from the sit bones.

Black Dog
11-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Ralph, it sounds like you would do very well with Selle Anatomica. Seriously comfortable saddle from the get go. They happen to be on sale right now. I have no relation to the company etc.... Just an amazingly comfortable saddle.

Ralph
11-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Ralph,

I wish someone would write a story about fitting the saddle properly. It is my belief that the saddle is the most important part of the bicycle for enjoyment, comfort and performance. I've been through atleast 5 saddles this year, and am still not 100% satisfied with the one I'm using now. as I rotate my pelvis forward, my current saddle seems to be ok in some orientations (on the ramus) and not in others. It is frustrating to no end. And has a big impact on my position. I have to make sacrifices in my optimal position to accommodate my delicate posterior.

Between sit bone pain and chaffing, I end my rides at 30-40 miles predominantly because of a saddle issue, not because my legs/lungs can't handle it.

If you have some special technique for making a saddle comfortable, please share it.

Sometimes I ride a hybrid bike on 10-15 mile rides with my wife on her hybrid. My saddle for that bike cost me $5 at a flea market. A wide Serfas Tail Bone model. Wouldn't work on my road bikes.

Point is....cost and what's popular with younger riders doesn't mean a thing with regard to comfort. Don't be afraid of 300-500 gram "off brand" seats if they fit you and are comfortable. I would try a Selle Anatomica (really heavy and old school) if they worked for my issues (Coccyx plus others). Some of my ancient friends found relief on Anatomica's.

Black Dog
11-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Comfort is everything, that is why I suggest the Selle Anatomica, they are heavy, but not old school. Some neat technology in the laminated and treated leather. An extra 300 grams is not a big deal when you factor in the rolling total mass of the rider and bike. For the sake of a happy ass, 300 grams is fair trade, if nothing else works as well.

Ralph
11-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Comfort is everything, that is why I suggest the Selle Anatomica, they are heavy, but not old school. Some neat technology in the laminated and treated leather. An extra 300 grams is not a big deal when you factor in the rolling total mass of the rider and bike. For the sake of a happy ass, 300 grams is fair trade, if nothing else works as well.

I've tried a friends. I need it cut out in back some. Otherwise....agree with you. It felt good first install.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Old shop was a big SMP dealer with the test ride program BUT, we loaned w/o any deposit. Kinda surprised they ask for $. In the 5-6 years we loaned saddles, none ever disappeared. Test saddles cost the bike shop less than the for sale models.

I am a large fan of SMP-currently use a Glider, very happy with it. A solution to a very deep tissue 'saddle sore'...

As for setup, level, front to back, like their website suggests.