PDA

View Full Version : So much flex...

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I've got an EC90 SLx fork that I'm just getting an enormous amount of flex on. In the few months I've been riding it, there's even a pretty deep runnel on the inside of the fork under the crown where the tire is apparently rubbing the crap out of it. Out of the saddle almost at all, I hear psk, psk, psk, psk of the wheel rubbing the brakes... I don't even need to hammer on it.

I've tried two different wheel sets... light/flimsy alloy, as well as a set of stiff carbon. Same thing with both. I've ridden primarily 23s, but have 25s on now, and there's plenty of room for them. No rub on the chainstays, which have even less clearance... just the front.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this all just fork flex? I climb and bomb hard - is it the wrong fork for me? It seams to defy logic, how much flex there is.. I mean what's up the rub on the inside? Shouldn't the brake caliper keep the wheel centered enough to keep the tire off the fork?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

-B

Jeff N.
11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
I've got an EC90 SLx that I'm just getting an enormous amount of flex on. In the few months I've been riding it, there's even a pretty deep runnel on the inside of the fork under the crown where the tire is apparently rubbing the crap out of it. Out of the saddle almost at all, I hear psk, psk, psk, psk of the wheel rubbing the brakes... I don't even need to hammer on it.

I've tried two different wheel sets... light/flimsy alloy, as well as a set of stiff carbon. Same thing with both. I've ridden primarily 23s, but have 25s on now, and there's plenty of room for them. No rub on the chainstays, which have even less clearance... just the front.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this all just fork flex? I climb and bomb hard - is it the wrong fork for me? It seams to defy logic, how much flex there is.. I mean what's up the rub on the inside? Shouldn't the brake caliper keep the wheel centered enough to keep the tire off the fork?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

-B
Open up your caliper a bit...sure they ain't set too close? Not really familiar first hand with the EC-90, but.....

thirdgenbird
11-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I had a 1in ec90 for a while and sold it because it felt way too flexible sprinting and climbing. Going back to a steel fork and leaving everything else the same made a huge difference.

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 03:57 PM

I have to open up the caliper beyond negatively affecting brake function before it'll stop rubbing

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I kind of want to send it back to Easton. If it's really so noodly that the tire rubs, it's not safe.. but what else could it be?

scho74
11-14-2014, 04:07 PM
it's just a flexy fork. i had the ec90sl and it wasn't that bad but i could still feel it, and i'm only 145lbs. i've read that the slx is a noodle. get an enve fork and be done with it! i did and couldn't be happier.

RedRider
11-14-2014, 04:09 PM
What size frame? What's your weight?

thirdgenbird
11-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I was a lean 185# when I sold mine. The bike is about 60cm. It flexed a lot.

eBAUMANN
11-14-2014, 04:12 PM
all easton forks, in my experience (ec90, ec90x), are pretty flexy, they probably market it as a "feature" ;)

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 04:13 PM
52cm and i weigh 170 (it's all quads and glutes!)

happycampyer
11-14-2014, 04:16 PM
How much do you weigh? If you weigh 150lbs, then there's probably something wrong with the fork. If you weigh 200+lbs, then it's normal. It between, it's hard to say, but it's still likely normal flex for the fork. If you do a google search for "Easton fork weight limit Zinn" or something along those lines, you'll see a response from the Easton rep ago g that there is no limit, but that a heavier rider might prefer a stiffer fork—he actually recommends the long since discontinued Reynolds Ouzo Pro. The Enve 2.0 would be one of the safer bets as a replacement.

Edit: I was typing when you posted your reply. My guess is still that that's normal for the fork. Have your LBS check it out—if it is defective, Easton may be willing to replace it (I would say "will" if you are the original purchaser).

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I actually have an Ouzo Pro... uncut. Brand new. But I'd hate to cut a fork to fit my itty bitty little head tube, thereby eliminating any resale opportunity, just to discover that wasn't even the problem, so I'm trying to eliminate anything else first.

There's nothing else that can cause flex like this, right?

I'll also add that I do not remember this much flex when I first put this fork on. Seems like it's definitely gotten worse... but man, such a short time period to go from acceptable (didn't have any complaints before) to totally unacceptable.

Black Dog
11-14-2014, 04:54 PM
It is the wheels or the fork. Nothing else can really cause this issue. Very likely the fork. The SLX is notoriously flexy. I ride an SL and it is fine, a friend of mine same size etc... rides an SLX and it flexes way more. We put my wheels on his bike and same issue. It was not his wheels, since I never get brake rub on he front, I even rode his bike with my wheels to eliminate operator error and there was plenty of rub. Try a 32 spoke wheel to be sure, but it is likely the fork.

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I've got some r500s that are probably the stiffest wheel, laterally, I've got in the garage. I guess I'll tire 'em up and see if they make any difference. Those "stiff" carbon wheels I speak of are also Easton carbon.. Stiff as hell to ride, but I supposed they're not necessarily laterally stiff.

mike p
11-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Get rid of it!

Mike

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's a stupid thought that might not be that stupid?

I was about 160 when I got this fork. Now I'm 170, and probably just going to gain more as we go into winter and I bulk up my upper body for the alpine climbing season......

10lbs might be the difference?? Is that possible? I guess the line has to exist somewhere

Black Dog
11-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Here's a stupid thought that might not be that stupid?

I was about 160 when I got this fork. Now I'm 170, and probably just going to gain more as we go into winter and I bulk up my upper body for the alpine climbing season......

10lbs might be the difference?? Is that possible? I guess the line has to exist somewhere

Not really, but there will be a weight at which you will notice (become aware) the progression of flex as weight is added. Has the fork always done this or is there a change in equipment or other that triggered the brake rub?

o2dazone
11-14-2014, 05:41 PM
I wish there were more deflection tests for products. Fairwheel did a number (http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/crank-review-5-2/) of deflection (http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/2014-stem-review-3/) tests (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125349) (those are three individual links), and found them to be really useful for helping me decide what components to buy. I don't need them to be Cavendish stiff...but they can't budge under a sprint, race or otherwise.

foo_fighter
11-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Flexy forks are scary, especially on descents. I remember switching from an Al fork to a Wound Up and it was such a huge difference. That said, something doesn't sound right. Make sure that it isn't cracked anywhere.

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Not really, but there will be a weight at which you will notice (become aware) the progression of flex as weight is added. Has the fork always done this or is there a change in equipment or other that triggered the brake rub?

I'm always changing stuff.. I recently replaced the headset and stem. That's about all that's changed up front. I did replace the front hub bearings in the alloy wheels, which could theoretically come into play, but there's no play in the hub- I did it right (although I will double check this tonight). BUT- I went to the carbon rims after that anyway, and they rub just as much, pedaling out of the saddle. Except more obnoxiously, because they're tall and loud. Sound like a freaken boat hull.

My weight is really the only thing that's changed that would definitely have an effect... I just never would guess 10lbs would have that MUCH effect. Maybe, maybe not.

I guess I could throw the Ouzo Pro on there without cutting it, and just do a little careful pedal around the neighborhood.

CNY rider
11-14-2014, 06:28 PM
I weigh 150 pounds and have the power output of a goldfish.
I have read all kinds of internet lore about people flexing cranks, bottom brackets yada yada yada.
Never believed any of it and still think most of it is BS.
But there is actually one bicycle component that I have found noodley in my cycling career: The Easton SLX fork.
Like limp spaghetti. I had to get rid of it.

nicrump
11-14-2014, 06:36 PM
if your frame was designed around the Easton(and they... SLX's are extremely flexy IMO) then just get an Enve of the correct rake(43 most likely) as the easton is 367 axle to crown as is the enve while the ouzo is 372.

I'm always changing stuff.. I recently replaced the headset and stem. That's about all that's changed up front. I did replace the front hub bearings in the alloy wheels, which could theoretically come into play, but there's no play in the hub- I did it right (although I will double check this tonight). BUT- I went to the carbon rims after that anyway, and they rub just as much, pedaling out of the saddle. Except more obnoxiously, because they're tall and loud. Sound like a freaken boat hull.

My weight is really the only thing that's changed that would definitely have an effect... I just never would guess 10lbs would have that MUCH effect. Maybe, maybe not.

I guess I could throw the Ouzo Pro on there without cutting it, and just do a little careful pedal around the neighborhood.

John H.
11-14-2014, 07:16 PM
I thought the slx fork sucked too.
I weighed less than 150 and I could feel it flex when I grabbed front brake.

I weigh 150 pounds and have the power output of a goldfish.
I have read all kinds of internet lore about people flexing cranks, bottom brackets yada yada yada.
Never believed any of it and still think most of it is BS.
But there is actually one bicycle component that I have found noodley in my cycling career: The Easton SLX fork.
Like limp spaghetti. I had to get rid of it.

avalonracing
11-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I have two of those forks. I weigh between 160-170lbs (depending on the season) and thrash the bike a bit during sprints using EA90SLX wheels. I have a strong upper body (can benchpress 250lbs- freeweight) and I haven't had any issues with brake or tire rub using 25c tires. That said, I don't know what the issue is. Are you guys not tightening your front skewers or using spokes made of pasta?

berserk87
11-14-2014, 09:00 PM
I have a SL on my Lynskey Helix and have not noticed any fork flex. I weighed 198lbs this morning. I put out a pretty good bit of juice and either I am oblivious to the flex or it's not there on mine.

Jeff N.
11-14-2014, 09:09 PM

I have to open up the caliper beyond negatively affecting brake function before it'll stop rubbingWow. What wheels are you using? Maybe there's play at the hub...needs adjusting. I'm just taking shots in the dark here, man.

onomic
11-14-2014, 09:43 PM
My vote is for the Ouzo Pro. At least install it and do a couple sprints around the block before you cut it down, but I bet you'll notice a huge improvement. Just my 2 cents.

tigoat
11-15-2014, 05:20 AM
I had the EC90SL fork long ago and don't recall it flexing that much. The SLX might be different though since it is lighter. I believe that part of the flex is in the fork but this does not sound right with that much rubbing. Might want to check the headset pre-load, as if it is not tight enough the fork will exhibit such symptom. Good luck!

oldpotatoe
11-15-2014, 06:30 AM

Your fork is known to be a flexy one, whether you weigh 160 or 170. Yup...use a bunch of spacers and try the UzoPro..or just cut it and use it.

Bob Ross
11-15-2014, 01:16 PM
I have a SL on my Lynskey Helix and have not noticed any fork flex. I weighed 198lbs this morning. I put out a pretty good bit of juice and either I am oblivious to the flex or it's not there on mine.

SL is a stiffer fork than the OP's SLX.