PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fork w/ a 50mm rake?

RABikes2
03-21-2006, 07:42 AM
I have a Serotta 02 carbon fork w/ carbon steerer-tube on my Legend. I want to bring my handlebars up higher (I already have a 90 stem w/ a 40 degree rise), so I'm looking for an uncut, carbon fork with an aluminum 1 1/8" steerer-tube, threadless. The catch...with a 50mm rake. I won't know until I try an uncut fork if it'll help my fit problems, so I'd like to watch how much I spend. If I knew it was the solution or that it was going to help a lot, I wouldn't mind spending the $$'s. Any ideas where I can find a reasonably priced one without going custom?

Thanks in advance.
RA

Richard
03-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Reynolds makes 5 cm rake forks and they are essentially the same as the 02.

Keith A
03-21-2006, 08:53 AM
RA,

I would suggest you checking out the Bontrage Race X Lite (http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Forks/5757.php). They have exactly what you are looking for and IMHO, they make a pretty good fork. I have Race Lite on my OCLV and it handles as good as any fork that I have used. Unfortunately, the Race Lite doesn't come in a 50mm offset as it is more affordable, but the Race X Lite is available in that offset. The MRSP on these isn't cheap, but I see these come up on eBay regularly.

BTW, do you need a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer tube?

RABikes2
03-21-2006, 09:37 AM
RA,

The MRSP on these isn't cheap, but I see these come up on eBay regularly.

BTW, do you need a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer tube?

Need a 1 1/8" steerer tube.
"Ouch" :butt: on the MRSP cost.
Thanks Keith and Richard.

Keith A
03-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll keep my eye out for you and let you know when I see on on eBay.

Johny
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Richard is right. My CIII has a 50mm rake F2, of course made by Reynolds.

Keith A
03-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I think the key to RA's needs is that she wants to put some spacers on this fork and I am suspecting the amount desired is greater than the recommendation for the all carbon forks such as the F2 (and Reynolds Ouzo Pro). So an aluminum steerer tube takes care of this problem as most don't have a restriction on the maximum number of spacers as the carbon steerer tubes do.

Reynolds does make an aluminum steerer tube fork -- the Ouzo Comp, but it also has an aluminum crown and more importantly it only comes in a 43mm offset.

The Bontrager Race X Lite is a great solution as it is an all carbon fork on the lower part and the base of the steerer tube is also carbon, but this is bonded to aluminum and the result is a very light fork without some of the concerns of a carbon steerer tube.

Do I do okay RA? I'm practicing my skills of interpreting the needs of a female :D

RABikes2
03-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I think the key to RA's needs is that she wants to put some spacers on this fork and I am suspecting the amount desired is greater than the recommendation for the all carbon forks which such as the F2 (and Reynolds Ouzo Pro). So an aluminum steerer tube takes care of this problem as most don't have a restriction on the maximum number of spacers as the carbon steerer tubes do.

Do I do okay RA? I'm practicing my skills of interpreting the needs of a female :D
EEEEExactly! :) That is what I'm trying to do and why the need for the aluminum steerer tube.
Good job Keith. ;)

Keith A
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks RA. Actually, I get a lot of practice as I am the only male in a home with four females :eek: Make that five, even the cat is a girl.

RABikes2
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
The Bontrager Race X Lite is a great solution as it is an all carbon fork on the lower part and the base of the steerer tube is also carbon, but this is bonded to aluminum and the result is a very light fork without some of the concerns of a carbon steerer tube.
:D
Well, Keith, it was a good thought and try. I work part-time at my bike shop, a Trek dealership, and when you said the Bontrager Race X Lite had a 50mm rake, I couldn't understand how we had overlooked it at the shop when searching. Today at work, I immediately pulled out the Trek books and went on Dexter (Trek site for us) and under Bontrager Race X Lite forks, in both places, there wasn't a 50mm rake listed. I put a call into our Trek rep and told him what I was looking for and what was listed on the website you sent. He said he'd get back to me with an answer and he did. Unfortunately, there isn't a 50mm rake on the B. Race X Lite; misprint or plain mistake. However, the new Trek Pilot has a Satellite Plus fork and it has a 50mm rake listed (and it is available). The debate now at the shop is whether or not the Axle to Crown measurement will work or not on my bike. It's 385mm. The fork also calls for long reach brakes which I don't think is a problem.

I just want to ride my damn bike; how frustrating! I need to come up off the front more and thought a fork would be an easy thing to get my hands on. I completed my 400k this past weekend and I have rug burn bruises 4" long by 1.5" wide where my butt cheeks and upper hams meet and where the new saddle* connects with me. If I slant the pads more where they shouldn't hit me then I'm practically standing while cycling and I'm "falling" forward and need to keep pushing myself back and up on the saddle as I'm pedaling. If I keep the pads where they are and don't change the front end, then I'll be dealing with the butt cheek bruises and traps, shoulders, and upper back discomfort. Believe me, after 253 miles, I sat down cautiously the last few days.

:crap: I got the pain between my legs fixed and now my butt cheeks are getting brutalized.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................... ..................... :butt: :butt: :butt:
RA

Keith A
03-22-2006, 08:48 AM
RA -- Sorry to hear that. They have had teh 50mm fork listed on the website for a long time and am surprised that this was never actually available. And what is really interesting, is that now the Bontrager website for the Race X Lite fork is only showing the 45mm and 50mm being available. The don't have a 40mm listed, but I know this is really available as this is spec'd on the various Treks, Lemonds and Kleins road bikes...weird.

So what is your HTA? Is the any chance that you could use a 45mm fork?

As for your long distance ride -- you actually ended up with bruises on the ole cheeks? It sounds like you have been trying to get more comfortable on the bike and have tried different saddles. But you might try another saddle again -- have you ridden the Arione? I know men and women have different issues with saddle comfort, but the Arione has been the best saddle that I have ridden so far.