PDA

View Full Version : Garmin advice

rilz
11-12-2014, 10:52 PM
I've been riding with an old Cateye 8 function computer for years, thinking about finally upgrading to a GPS based computer. I have looked at the Garmin models and I think I like the basic Edge 200, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles of the others, but I'm curious. Are there any convincing reasons to get one of the other models?

Anarchist
11-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Cateye make a pretty solid GPS unit as well, Stealth 50.

ceolwulf
11-12-2014, 11:00 PM
The major downside of the 200 is it has no ANT+ so you cannot connect a heart rate monitor or power meter or cadence sensor or well anything at all.

jimoots
11-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Get a 500, they are not much more expensive, have ANT+ (no cadence, speed, HR or power sensor compatibility) and most importantly a barometric altimeter. I.e. you will get accurate/consistent elevation for your rides.

The 200/500 are essentially the same shell just different internals.

I have never owned a 200 but I found my 500 to be an excellent unit, I now have a 510 but will probably switch back to a 500.

pdmtong
11-12-2014, 11:23 PM
The altitude function (barametric) in the 500/510 is much more accurate
Arione here that trumps mileage since most rides are judged by elevation gain not distance

jimoots
11-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Arione here that trumps mileage since most rides are judged by elevation gain not distance

Personally I'm of the view that time in the saddle is all that matters, distance/elevation inconsequential :bike: :banana:

But yes elevation adds relevance to mileage.

dekindy
11-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Are you going to upload and analyze all that data? Are you going to use all those features? Go with your inclination and get the 200. I had a 305 that was a refurbished unit and lasted for years; it does not owe me a thing. When it finally died this year and since I already had Ant+ heart and cadence/speed sensors, I purchased the Bontrager Node 1.1. The unit comes without sensors and was slightly more expensive than a basic, wireless computer that comes with a speed sensor. Otherwise I would have went with a basic, wireless computer. If it breaks, I might even go without a computer.:eek: Among my fellow riders there is a fanatical fascination with miles and it gets tiresome to hear it; they are like a broken record. They refer to mileage constantly. You don't really need it.

Cicli
11-12-2014, 11:52 PM
I have a Edge Touring and love it. Does everything I need with maps.
Can use a HRM but that's about it for add ons.

fogrider
11-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I've been riding with an old Cateye 8 function computer for years, thinking about finally upgrading to a GPS based computer. I have looked at the Garmin models and I think I like the basic Edge 200, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles of the others, but I'm curious. Are there any convincing reasons to get one of the other models?

I have the 200 and its fine. I'm not racing and don't use any power meter. I know guys/gals with the 500 with more features, but I'm happy with speed and distance. I ride multiple bikes (I rather spend money on bikes) and wanted to be easily mount on any bike and love eliminating the wires.

rilz
11-13-2014, 02:21 AM
I am not sure what I'll do with the data. I might analyze it but I would have to learn how. I don't have a power meter and I'm just starting to race. I guess what I'm asking is, would the extra cash required to upgrade the garmin be better spent elsewhere or is the 500 really that great?

jimoots
11-13-2014, 04:16 AM
Forget analysing data, the altimeter is worth the extra 50-100 bucks. Elevation is a headline piece of information you will always be interested in. The ant+ stuff is just a bonus if you get hooked.

If a 200 had an altimeter, I'd say get a 200. But it doesn't, so I say get the 500.

kramnnim
11-13-2014, 06:18 AM
I used a 500 for about a year, then moved to an 800. Would very much hate to go back to a 500.

thunderworks
11-13-2014, 06:46 AM
I really like my 500. Love the data. Love the elevation info - but I don't think it's consistent or accurate. Riding buddies with the same 500 get significantly different elevation numbers and my unit varies day to day on identical rides. Good guideline for gain, but not gospel.

Cicli
11-13-2014, 07:02 AM
I really like my 500. Love the data. Love the elevation info - but I don't think it's consistent or accurate. Riding buddies with the same 500 get significantly different elevation numbers and my unit varies day to day on identical rides. Good guideline for gain, but not gospel.

Yeah, I hear a lot of touting the altimeter on the 500 but in my experience, it's not very accurate. I saw a lot of variance on the same ride at different times. I believe it uses barometric pressure to calculate altitude and that will change throught the day.

velomonkey
11-13-2014, 07:11 AM
The cat eye gps is indeed very good and does have hr and power - it's also way smaller than a garmin with what I think is a much better mount. I am using the cat eye strada smart - uses the phone gps and has hr and power and the unit is very small - it's basically a head unit and that's all I wanted but then does record gps via your smart phone.

I loved garmin till the 510 810 and up - touch screen is not needed and unit isn't a size I like

eddief
11-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Had a 200. Every time I downloaded to Garmin Connect, it always was doing correction to accumulated altitude. Never knew which was the correct number. Got a 500 (and not sure about the altitude accuracy on it either) but pretty sure the barometer is way more accurate than GPS for altitude data.

Cateye is OK and their customer service has always been great, but their operating instructions might as well be written in Japanese.

Forget analysing data, the altimeter is worth the extra 50-100 bucks. Elevation is a headline piece of information you will always be interested in. The ant+ stuff is just a bonus if you get hooked.

If a 200 had an altimeter, I'd say get a 200. But it doesn't, so I say get the 500.

wasfast
11-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I've had a 500 for 5 years and am very happy. I change the amount of usage from distance/time to HRM to including powermeter. the durability is very good. I just had to change the backplate due to an aftermarket mount, not Garmin's fault.

If you don't need map function, the 500 is great compared to the 800 etc. Highly recommended to spend the difference. Particularily if you're starting racing, having data capture ability (HRM, watts etc) will be extremely useful in the future if you stick with it.

cbresciani
11-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Love my 500, great functions perfect size, I would highly recommend one.

bjf
11-13-2014, 08:55 PM
I think you choose according to the functions you really will use. HR? Power? Altitude? GPS? Save and download? I'm very happy with a 500, but I don't use the altitude function.

o2dazone
11-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Maybe it's something worth considering, but if you're picky about mounting options, Garmin's Quarter Turn system has the most mounts made for it.