PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Church In Italy

Joel
03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy this fall. She doesn't ride, so it will generally be a bike-free trip (although I'm sure I'll grab a rental somewhere and take off for an afternoon).

Anyway, I have read that somewhere in Italy there is a church that basically has become a shrine to some of the greatest cyclists. I've seen pictures, read write ups, but cannot for the life of me remember the name, nor the location.

Does anyone here know the name and general location?

I seem to recall it being discussed here a long time ago, but can't locate it through a search.

Thanks!

Joel

dave thompson
03-21-2006, 05:53 AM
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy this fall. She doesn't ride, so it will generally be a bike-free trip (although I'm sure I'll grab a rental somewhere and take off for an afternoon).

Anyway, I have read that somewhere in Italy there is a church that basically has become a shrine to some of the greatest cyclists. I've seen pictures, read write ups, but cannot for the life of me remember the name, nor the location.

Does anyone here know the name and general location?

I seem to recall it being discussed here a long time ago, but can't locate it through a search.

Thanks!

Joel

Good explanation of the Madonna di Ghisallo Church here:http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3543

Joel
03-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Wow...must go!!

Thanks so much Dave!!

stevep
03-21-2006, 06:50 AM
it is a terrific visit for any enthusiast of bike history. it sits on a climb above lake como not far outside of the town of bellagio which is located right at the "v" in the lake. it houses a fabulous collection of italian and world racing jerseys and memorabilia that tell the history of cycle racing. it also houses some famous bicycles including the bikes of coppi, mercks, casartelis crashed motorola bike and others. note well that the climb is a key crunch point of the tour of lombardy. they were constructing an actual museum on the grounds the last time i was there so that is likely open now. be ready to spend some hours in this tiny chapel on the hill top.
it is once again on my visit list for this summer.
lot of great riding in the region. also not far from the italian alps and not really that far from the french alps.

Serotta_Andrew
03-21-2006, 08:42 AM
it is a terrific visit for any enthusiast of bike history. it sits on a climb above lake como not far outside of the town of bellagio which is located right at the "v" in the lake. it houses a fabulous collection of italian and world racing jerseys and memorabilia that tell the history of cycle racing. it also houses some famous bicycles including the bikes of coppi, mercks, casartelis crashed motorola bike and others. note well that the climb is a key crunch point of the tour of lombardy. they were constructing an actual museum on the grounds the last time i was there so that is likely open now. be ready to spend some hours in this tiny chapel on the hill top.
it is once again on my visit list for this summer.
lot of great riding in the region. also not far from the italian alps and not really that far from the french alps.

Great place. The museum is still under construction

iml
03-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I rode and raced a lot in that area when I lived in Germany. On one trip to Bellagio, I climbed to the chapel to pay my respects. Unfortunately, it was closed and no one was around. I ended up down the road in a bar for a coffee stop. After speaking with the proprietor for a while, she told me to wait while she made phone call.

A few moments later, an old man showed up and asked me to meet him at the church, several kms back up the road. I did, and he let me in so I could linger in awe and purchase a few trinkets. Amazing.

I love northern Italy. Just go.

johnmdesigner
03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
http://www.ilperlo.com/home/it/index.php

Il Perlo Panorama.
I stayed here last year. Very nice with a spectacular view. The signora at the front desk sent us to a restaurant about 5 minutes away that was wonderful.
View from my room attached.
Enjoy your trip
:banana: