PDA

View Full Version : SRAM 10 vs 11 chainrings and 11 speed

pakora
11-12-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm an 11 speed noob with a first setup, and I'm wondering whether I need 11-specific rings to run an 11 setup (Rival 22, all new parts except for the cranks, with a Shimano cassette and KMC chain). The answer to this isn't obvious to me after searching a bunch, but I do see that SRAM has S3 (11s) chainrings that look identical to S2 ones (10s) except the latter are marked as 10s.

Will SRAM 10 speed rings shift fine? In my experience mixing rings and chains hasn't mattered, but with a narrower chain and the yaw FD I'm not at all sure.

gospastic
11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I have tried both - Sram Red exogram crankset with 10sp rings and with the 11sp rings. Both work, but 11sp work better. At first glance there didn't seem to be any differences between the rings, but there's probably some spacing differences. Just don't have a way to measure.

binouye
11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
For a little while I ran some Red 10sp rings on an FSA crank with otherwise Campy 11 drivetrain. Yeah, sacrilege. I didn't notice any problems with spacing, but like many others I felt the Sram chainrinngs didn't shift as well as others and went back to the FSA rings (and then later replaced the crank with proper Campy UT version). I've also run a 10sp Stronglight crank with otherwise 11sp Campy drivetrain, again no problems with spacing.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm an 11 speed noob with a first setup, and I'm wondering whether I need 11-specific rings to run an 11 setup (Rival 22, all new parts except for the cranks, with a Shimano cassette and KMC chain). The answer to this isn't obvious to me after searching a bunch, but I do see that SRAM has S3 (11s) chainrings that look identical to S2 ones (10s) except the latter are marked as 10s.

Will SRAM 10 speed rings shift fine? In my experience mixing rings and chains hasn't mattered, but with a narrower chain and the yaw FD I'm not at all sure.

sram, like shimano, FD being very positional, you 'may' get some chain to FD rub at the extremes with 10s rings on a 11s system..lowest gear or highest gear. In addition, the latest rings shift the best in general..stiffer, better pickup doo-dadfs.

pakora
11-12-2014, 12:11 PM
thanks folks, I'll probably just try the 10sp rings and see how it works before I pony up for new rings.

ahumblecycler
11-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Force22 with FSA n10 rings with no issues over the course of several thousand miles.

Red22 with Red Exogram 10-speed rings; 5000+ miles and zero issues.

shovelhd
11-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Sram Red Yaw SRM with 9070 11 speed Di2. I get a very small amount of FD rub in the 39/11 but I bet I can dial it out with a free 15 minutes. Shifts great.

pakora
11-13-2014, 06:56 PM
oh, oldpotatoe, so when you said rub at the extremes, you didn't mean just at either end of the cog, you meant big/small and small/big combos, right? I thought you meant generally, which would of course be a drawback.

If that's my biggest woe if I can set it up fine I won't even bother moving to the new rings unless they show up in my stocking or something.

eBAUMANN
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
campy11 shifters/derailleurs/chain, exogram cranks and 10 speed rings - worked great! :banana:

oldpotatoe
11-14-2014, 05:33 AM
oh, oldpotatoe, so when you said rub at the extremes, you didn't mean just at either end of the cog, you meant big/small and small/big combos, right? I thought you meant generally, which would of course be a drawback.

If that's my biggest woe if I can set it up fine I won't even bother moving to the new rings unless they show up in my stocking or something.

'May' and yes, gears that you use, not small-small or big-big. Rubbing when in the small ring and smallest(highest) cog or big-big rubbing is not necessarily something to 'tune out'.