PDA

View Full Version : DT 240 hubs: 5mm or 9mm thru axle

yashcha
11-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Building up a new wheelset for a road bike with disc brakes. I am a using DT240 Fifeteen front hub which will allow me to use a conventional 5mm skewer or a 9mm thru axle quick release system. If the price and weight are roughly the same between the two systems, is there any reason why I should not go with the 9mm thru axle system? For reference I am using a Enve tapered road disc fork, 140mm rotors, and weigh about 132lbs.

I will be using this skewer if I go with the 9mm thru sxle setup.
http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-Thru-bolt

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

tigoat
11-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Building up a new wheelset for a road bike with disc brakes. I am a using DT240 Fifeteen front hub which will allow me to use a conventional 5mm skewer or a 9mm thru axle quick release system. If the price and weight is roughly the same, is there any reason why I should not go with the 9mm thru axle system? For reference I am using a Enve tapered road disc fork, 140mm rotors, and weigh about 132lbs.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am not aware of a 9mm thru-axle option. I have a lot of 240 fifteen wheels and they are either in 5mm QR or 15mm thru-axle. I thought that 9mm dimension is referred to the shoulder diameter, not the axle. In another word, the 5mm QR axle has a 9mm shoulder and they are being labeled interchangeably. Nonetheless, on the fifteen hub, it is very easy to change from one option to another by swapping the two end caps. Why not go all the way with the real deal, 15mm thru-axle? I have used many ENVE road disc forks and thought they are great but I prefer the 15mm thru-axle so Whisky No. 9 forks would be my choice. I have also used several Whisky No. 9 forks and thought that the quality is equivalent to ENVE's so there is no compromise here. Both ENVE and Whisky forks are made in Taiwan.

yashcha
11-12-2014, 06:03 AM
I am not aware of a 9mm thru-axle option. I have a lot of 240 fifteen wheels and they are either in 5mm QR or 15mm thru-axle. I thought that 9mm dimension is referred to the shoulder diameter, not the axle. In another word, the 5mm QR axle has a 9mm shoulder and they are being labeled interchangeably. Nonetheless, on the fifteen hub, it is very easy to change from one option to another by swapping the two end caps. Why not go all the way with the real deal, 15mm thru-axle? I have used many ENVE road disc forks and thought they are great but I prefer the 15mm thru-axle so Whisky No. 9 forks would be my choice. I have also used several Whisky No. 9 forks and thought that the quality is equivalent to ENVE's so there is no compromise here. Both ENVE and Whisky forks are made in Taiwan.

Hey Tigoat, I assumed that you would have experience with this issue. I ended up buying the Enve about a year and a half ago, and it still has a lot of life left. For my next fork, I will definitely go with the 15mm thru-axle.

From what I can tell, I can just swap out the end caps(like you mentioned with the 15mm thru axle system), and use this 9mm thru axle with a fork with a conventional open ended dropouts. Unfortunately I have not found anyone who has actually used it.

Kirk Pacenti
11-12-2014, 06:43 AM
DT's 9mm RWS thru axles work really well, imo.

https://online2.qbp.com/6SPsvm45/prodl/QR1925.jpg

Cheers,
KP

yashcha
11-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Cheers,
KP

Great!

Looking forward to building these wheels with your new sl25 rims.

Kirk Pacenti
11-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Great!

Looking forward to building these wheels with your new sl25 rims.

Send me pics when you've got it built!

binouye
11-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Cheers,
KP

My wife has these DT 9 (front) and 10 (rear) thru-axles on her bike, and they work fine. Simple end-cap swap to use QR, 9/10, or 15 on that front hub (but you do have to buy the endcaps of course).

foo_fighter
11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Just did this conversion and it was super easy. Haven't tested it on the road yet though.
These are not "Thru Axle." They are "Thru Bolt" and can be used on any dropout that previously used 5mm QRs. They are 9mm front and 10mm rear.
I can take some pics if you want, but it definitely works.

The only reason not to use them is if you need really quick wheel changes as the RWS skewers need to be unscrewed and screwed back to tighten.

I think you can only convert to 15mm Thru-axle if you have the oversize front hub.

Also, I would get the center lock version and possibly the straight pull version of the DT hub set.

My wife has these DT 9 (front) and 10 (rear) thru-axles on her bike, and they work fine. Simple end-cap swap to use QR, 9/10, or 15 on that front hub (but you do have to buy the endcaps of course).

yashcha
11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks all.

I will go with the DT240 CL hubs, with the 9mm thru bolt system, laced to Pacenti sl25 rims.

TimAZ
11-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I am using this exact set up on a Cannondale super X with 140mm rotors. The set up is bomber, but I don't know if I can tell the difference between my other DT 240's with a regualr 5mm QR. What I can say is. Every time I pull the wheel off I wonder if I'll be able to get the rotor lined back up properly in the caliper. I have gone through everything I can think of as far messing with the tightness of the skewer. Less, more. Running the skewer on the drive side. Funny thing is the wheel always looks straight in the fork and centered at the crown. So I end up adjusting the caliper to where the rotor is. For this reason alone I wish I had a 15mm fork.

yashcha
11-29-2014, 06:46 AM
Just finished my DT240 5mm skewer to 9mm thru bolt conversion. It took no more than 5 minutes total.

Man, is that setup solid. Highly recommend it for people with DT240 hubs. For the front, it only added 4 grams total.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8586/15904631985_d26457847e_c.jpg

yashcha
12-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I am using this exact set up on a Cannondale super X with 140mm rotors. The set up is bomber, but I don't know if I can tell the difference between my other DT 240's with a regualr 5mm QR. What I can say is. Every time I pull the wheel off I wonder if I'll be able to get the rotor lined back up properly in the caliper. I have gone through everything I can think of as far messing with the tightness of the skewer. Less, more. Running the skewer on the drive side. Funny thing is the wheel always looks straight in the fork and centered at the crown. So I end up adjusting the caliper to where the rotor is. For this reason alone I wish I had a 15mm fork.

While working on my bike today I noticed this problem you had mentioned. What I noticed is that if I have the bike flipped upside down, and there are no forces on the wheel as I tighten the skewer, the rotor returns to its original, correct location every time. I hope this discovery is helpful to you. Not the most elegant solution, but seems to work.