PDA

View Full Version : BB30 Adapters for Sram or Shimano

geeter
11-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Hey all,

First time posting here. I signed up earlier this year for the classifieds and haven't done any posting. Time to get that going.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with specific adapters for BB30 to Hollowtech/GXP. I am getting annoyed with trying to fine tune the crank/BB30 setup on my cross bike and would like to try out these adapters. Any feedback would be great.

kramnnim
11-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I've been using the Wheels Mfg plastic things...not thrilled with them, but they work. Seems like the Praxis thing would be one of the best solutions...

GregL
11-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I've been using the Wheels Manufacturing delrin adapters on a BB30 CAAD9 frame for the past four seasons. No problems or noises whatsoever. Cheap, light, and effective - what's not to like?

- Greg

josephr
11-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Instead of using the adapters, I installed the Wheels complete BB unit which replaces the PF30 units....the bearings on the Wheels are 100times smoother than the FSA bearings they replaced. It was a painless installation and moving up to a higher quality bearing was just as nice of an improvement than just being able to use a smoother shifting chainset. Also, other users here have used the Praxxis version with good remarks as well.
Joe

gavingould
11-11-2014, 10:47 PM
used Wheels Manufacturing delrin adapters when i had sram cranksets, currently have the Parlee PF30 to Shimano cups. it's noiseless.

lil_champ
11-11-2014, 11:03 PM
I use the Wheels Mfg plastic adapters. It took some adjustment to get them right, but now they seem to be working well. They had some resistance at first, but after 1-2 rides they started spinning just fine. Then I had an issue where they were creaking slightly, but I pulled them back out and greased things up a bit. Now everything is working great.

davidb
11-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I have installed many into various frames with great success. No special tools needed lines up goes in. Best part no noise!
https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-sramgxp-isis-2/

zzy
11-12-2014, 12:34 AM
So far so good with my KCNC BB30 adapter. Kinda like a poor man's Praxis.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Wheels Mfg BB w/ outboard bearings is the ticket. http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-brackets/bb30-outboard/bb30-outboard-bottom-brackets.html

Cicli
11-12-2014, 04:00 AM
I have a set of those plastic wheels mfg. adapters you can have. They work fine. I just won't buy any more BB30 frames.

tigoat
11-12-2014, 05:53 AM
I thought that Praxis BBs are not compatible with Di2/EPS?

oldpotatoe
11-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Instead of using the adapters, I installed the Wheels complete BB unit which replaces the PF30 units....the bearings on the Wheels are 100times smoother than the FSA bearings they replaced. It was a painless installation and moving up to a higher quality bearing was just as nice of an improvement than just being able to use a smoother shifting chainset. Also, other users here have used the Praxxis version with good remarks as well.
Joe

What he said. Or at least, use the Delrin Wheels adapters but also use Wheels bearings. OEM bearings/FSA/Sram are really crappy quality bearings.

geeter
11-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks all. That was extremely helpful.

xeladragon
11-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have experience with both the Praxis option and the Wheels Manufacturing Outboard BB? Or has anyone had a negative experience with either? I'm in a similar boat as the OP... have a PF30 frame that I want to use Shimano cranks with... trying to decide which one is better. Sounds like the Wheels BB has better bearings (angular contact) whereas the Praxis might have a better design (collet system)?

Uncle Jam's Army
11-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have experience with both the Praxis option and the Wheels Manufacturing Outboard BB? Or has anyone had a negative experience with either? I'm in a similar boat as the OP... have a PF30 frame that I want to use Shimano cranks with... trying to decide which one is better. Sounds like the Wheels BB has better bearings (angular contact) whereas the Praxis might have a better design (collet system)?

I went this way recently (PF30 Frame using Wheels Outboard BB for Shimano crank) and it works perfectly. I was debating between the two, and the ABEC-5 bearing plus the positive reviews I read swung the pendulum towar the Wheels option. Having an experienced mechanic install is key, though, if you want to avoid creaks.

xeladragon
11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I went this way recently (PF30 Frame using Wheels Outboard BB for Shimano crank) and it works perfectly. I was debating between the two, and the ABEC-5 bearing plus the positive reviews I read swung the pendulum towar the Wheels option. Having an experienced mechanic install is key, though, if you want to avoid creaks.

UJA, online reviews? Links? I haven't been able to find any.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-12-2014, 04:47 PM
No articles, but some good feedback on other forums:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/best-pf30-shimano-24mm-bottom-bracket-praxis-vs-wheels-mfg-vs-race-face-vs-907725.html

josephr
11-12-2014, 08:31 PM

I picked the Wheels as after searching 4 or 5 websites, the Wheels was about $30 cheaper than the Praxxis and after that I was tired of price shopping. The secret to a non-creaking BB is not rocket sceince...after tightening like hell on the non-drive side like the instructions say, go back to the drive side and tighten like hell.
Joe