PDA

View Full Version : Can 135mm QR wheels be used on modern MTB frames?

d_douglas
11-11-2014, 03:24 PM
I just had these very nice XTR hubs built up on some Pacenti rims. They are standard QR type hubs.

Do new FS MTB frames have inserts that allow you to choose the type of hub system you want to use? I know that 142mm through-axle is the new 'standard', but can they be adapted so that I can use my old school wheels ;)?

Just thinking about a Salsa Spearfish, should one in my size ever come along.

vqdriver
11-11-2014, 04:02 PM
i normally see adaptable hubs, not frames. when the frames are convertible, it's with interchangeable dropouts so i don't know if there's a good solution if the frame wasn't designed with that i mind.

d_douglas
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Yes, hope/DT and others do the convertible wheels, but XTRs don't work like those :(.

I have heard that some frames have little inserts in the 142mm format that change them to 135mm. No idea which ones or how they work, but I think they exist.

Miles
11-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I think the older spearfish frames were 135 rear...what generation were you looking at?

vqdriver
11-11-2014, 06:56 PM
fwiw, mtb wheel/frame compatibility is not an uncommon problem and i've seen a couple homegrown solutions on ebay. some aren't so bad, but mostly i've searched for solutions up front 5mm, 9mm, qr15, etc.... but maybe there's something for your situation. you may want to posit this on the mtb forums.

eBAUMANN
11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
it definitely exists, swappable dropouts inserts. its definitely not "standard" but its out there. far more common are the hub conversion kits.

for example, not a mtb but my bh rx team (aka pivot vault) cx bike has swappable dropouts to allow for qr or thru axle hubs.

vqdriver
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
i just looked up the spearfish. can you run a split pivot without a thru axle?

d_douglas
11-11-2014, 11:53 PM
i just looked up the spearfish. can you run a split pivot without a thru axle?

aaarrrghh, what does this mean?!?!? ;) I am soooo out of touch.