PDA

View Full Version : SIDI shoe question

thunderworks
11-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm talking to a fellow forumite about buying a pair of SIDI shoes from him off the classified ads. His shoes have a 4-bolt pattern (Speedplay perhaps?). I use a 3-bolt Shimano cleat/pedal design. Can I use the 4-bolt shoes and simply not use the 4th, bottom bolt? Or are there issues not readily apparent?

TIA

oldpotatoe
11-11-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm talking to a fellow forumite about buying a pair of SIDI shoes from him off the classified ads. His shoes have a 4-bolt pattern (Speedplay perhaps?). I use a 3-bolt Shimano cleat/pedal design. Can I use the 4-bolt shoes and simply not use the 4th, bottom bolt? Or are there issues not readily apparent?

TIA

4 bolt aka older Time pedals or SP w/o the first 3 bolt mount plate? If so, you need an adapter, 4 bolt to 3 bolt or if the shoes are old enough, the 4 bolt plate sits in a recess of the shoe, is removable and replaceable with a 3 bolt adapter. Pretty old design tho, 10 years plus old, finding adapters may be a challenge. Cannot just use 3 holes if that's what they are. 4 bolt holes forming a little square.

Pics show it's a standard 3 hole plate with a 4th hole toward the heel to secure the plate. With the 2 slots in the middle for MTB type cleats.

RedRider
11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
The Sidi sole you are referring to was designed specifically for Speedplay cleats . The 4 hole pattern allowed the cleat to be mounted directly onto the sole, reducing the stack height. On standard 3 hole sole an adapter is needed for Speedplays. I'm not aware of any adapter for 3 holes and it would defeat the purpose.

kramnnim
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
If they are 45's, we can trade!

(I didn't see the shoes listed)

OtayBW
11-11-2014, 04:59 PM
The Sidi sole you are referring to was designed specifically for Speedplay cleats . The 4 hole pattern allowed the cleat to be mounted directly onto the sole, reducing the stack height. On standard 3 hole sole an adapter is needed for Speedplays. I'm not aware of any adapter for 3 holes and it would defeat the purpose.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

pdmtong
11-11-2014, 05:14 PM

TIA

Adapters for three bolt to four but not four bolt to three

Speedplay shoes are only for speedplay pedals.