PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Road Everything Bike

GScot
11-09-2014, 04:17 PM
In the middle of a move to St Louis just in time for the cold to start. It will be a couple of weeks before we're able to get out on a bike but I'm already plotting to add to the stable. My wife rides too so N+1 means N+2. We are road riders almost exclusively and have skinny tired bikes to choose from but already know of several dirt routes and will have access to a farm with trails perfect for a monster cross or even a 29er hard tail.

Looks like an off the shelf cross or gravel bike are likely to best suit our needs and budget as we'll need to add warm gear as well. The Raleigh Tamland and Willard seem to be pretty nice packages. Salsa has some options too. Any others you've seen or heard of that I should be looking into. How about experience the Raleigh bikes? Thanks for the input .

seanile
11-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Niner started producing a gravel bike
http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9

rnhood
11-09-2014, 05:11 PM
The Tamland is a nice bike, suitably equipped and well thought out for its intended purpose. Several guys in my club have them. They are a little heavy but not a big deal really. Unfortunately, the Willard is not available yet - or at least the last time I checked. As I remember, the launch of it will be January.

The Specialized Diverge is my favorite but its a little pricy. Norco (Canadian outfit) markets an all purpose model called "Search". One member of our group has one on order. I am very interested in seeing it.

Most any cross bike will work but, these typically have higher bottom brackets and some don't have rack eyelets. "Cross" bikes are really targeted more towards cross racing. If you're not racing, then the all purpose bike probably makes more sense. Of course a good 29'er hard tail should be Ok and might offer more versatility. The Specialized Crave is relatively inexpensive (to some extent anyway) and is a good all around bike. My friend has one and loves it.

Having said all this, if you're not in a hurry then waiting on the Raleigh Willard to be in stores might be prudent. I like the spec on it and its target application is right down your alley. Even the steel versions are spec'd well, especially the Tamland 2.

John H.
11-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Most companies have them nowadays- some are good, some not so good.
Ask yourself these questions.
1.) Do I care if it is light
2.) How big of tires do I really need
3.) what brakes do I really want/need
4.) Do I want it to ride like my road bike

For those not needing 40mm tires, and desiring something road worthy and simple I think the Felt F1 PR and Kona Zone one/Zone two are really cool bikes.
Both take long reach road brakes and fit up to a 32mm tire. Will ride like a road bike.

MadRocketSci
11-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Salsa Vaya. IMO you don't need carbon anything for a do everything dirt road/gravel bike. Steel/steel (or in my case Ti/steel) means its pretty much indestructable and can take big hits better.

shovelhd
11-09-2014, 05:31 PM
+1 on the Felt PR, bike or frameset.

GScot
11-09-2014, 06:00 PM
I will check out the Felt as that one is new to my list. 40s are overkill for most riding but the farm has terrain that would welcome all the tire you could bring. Most of the farm trails seem like they would make challenging cross courses but we'll be riding for fun although who knows what we might get into later.

fourflys
11-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Black Mountain Cycles http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/black-mountain-cycles-frames.html

you can run up to a 43mm tire...

http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-MnkpCJ7/0/XL/P1000697-XL.jpg

buldogge
11-09-2014, 07:20 PM
You should talk to my buddy Jeff @ FECycles (fecycles.com) when you get to town. He's in U-City, so easy for you to swing by. He can get you on a custom rig for a really reasonable price…

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
11-09-2014, 09:39 PM
In the middle of a move to St Louis just in time for the cold to start. It will be a couple of weeks before we're able to get out on a bike

From here on out it's going to be a crap shoot for temps above 50*. High tomorrow's going to be 68* then a cold front moves in, but unless we're really unlucky there will be some nice days left this year, and if you don't mind layering, plenty of cold but dry and OK weather. Today I wore short sleeves, but there's a decent chance that won't happen again for quite a while.

Where in the St Louis area will you be living? Based on the description it sounds like it's well outside the 270 loop, or perhaps in ILL. I'm pretty far out in the woods, just west of Babler State Park.

Welcome to the area.

oddsaabs
11-09-2014, 09:48 PM
My $.02 is the Elephant National Forest Explorer. Custom or stock, it is the best all-round adventure bike I've every had.

http://www.elephantbikes.com/stock/

fogrider
11-10-2014, 02:12 AM
if the road is dirt and gravel, a road should still work. if the road is not too steep and well kept, the roadie is fine. I've taken my road bike through dirt roads on a regular basis.

but if the roads on the farm are meant for a mountain bike, get a cross bike!

Admiral Ackbar
11-10-2014, 02:49 AM
if the road is dirt and gravel, a road should still work. if the road is not too steep and well kept, the roadie is fine. I've taken my road bike through dirt roads on a regular basis.

but if the roads on the farm are meant for a mountain bike, get a cross bike!

what he said

i do wish there was someone who made a frame with clearance for 32mm+ tires, nice tubing, good build quality and normal road geo ... without having to dish out $$$$

martinez
11-10-2014, 03:03 AM
All city macho man!
At least that's what I would buy if I had to get a do it all road bike.
I've ridden the nature boy (sscx version of the macho man) and it was awesome.
They make some pretty nice bikes!

GScot
11-10-2014, 04:47 AM
I will be living in Maryland Heights and working in U City. Farm I get to play at is out west near Hawk Point which is North of Warrenton if I remember right.

Ken Robb
11-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Lots of bikes past and present from Rivendell (used/new) fit this category. Grant designed a frame/fork for SOMA that is sold through their dealers and from Rivendell for $900 that seems to fit your needs.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
what he said

i do wish there was someone who made a frame with clearance for 32mm+ tires, nice tubing, good build quality and normal road geo ... without having to dish out $$$$

Gunnar roadie sport. 28c with fenders, 32 without.

snah
11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Have no experience with them, but do like the Volagi line of bikes. Have to dig the curves for these though.

http://www.volagi.com

JAGI410
11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
what he said

All-City Mr. Pink? Columbus tubing, fits 35's, fender capable, sporty geo, and sparkly paint! I love mine dearly, but it might be up for sale soon so I can consolidate my stable.

guido
11-10-2014, 06:20 PM
It's the Soma San Marcos. It is a lovely bike. Fits 32c with fenders and 37c without. I find it a bit more at home on the road than on gravel, but perhaps that is me. I'm still finding my way in the whole gravel thing...

Lots of bikes past and present from Rivendell (used/new) fit this category. Grant designed a frame/fork for SOMA that is sold through their dealers and from Rivendell for $900 that seems to fit your needs.

Louis
11-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I will be living in Maryland Heights

If you don't mind flat, and depending on exactly where you are in MH, if you're looking for gravel you'll be able to ride to the Katy Trail. I used to live in MH, but that was a long time ago, before the Page extension bridge was built, along with the connection to the KT from Creve Coeur Park.

River Valley Drive, one of the "new" roads down in the MH flood plain is the straightest, flattest, longest stretches of not-so-busy road around. Kind of boring to ride, but interesting just the same. When going south you pedal, and pedal, and pedal, and the buildings you can see in the distance don't get any closer. (probably common in places like AZ, but not that common around here)

mmfs
11-10-2014, 08:52 PM
How has nobody mentioned the Surly Crosscheck yet?

fogrider
11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
what he said

check the soma fab website...they have cross bikes with good tire clearance, not sure what will clear on their road bikes...http://store.somafab.com/sosmtaprrora.html

Dave Ferris
11-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Semi OT :

My wife and I are both from STL. Florissant to be exact. McCluer '71. :cool: We left on 1/1/79 for LA.

Her sis lived in St. Charles for a few years before moving out further to Lake STL. I fondly remember doing many runs on that Katy Trail.

A few years back, we came back after Christmas in the first week of Jan. for a visit. You were having an un-seasonable bitter cold spell (I don't think it got above 15 while we where there for a week) and a ton of snow.

I remember thinking- ok I'll run down to the KT, probably 2 miles from their house, and do a few miles out & back. Bwahahaha !! The snow was so deep , you couldn't even tell there was a trail there.

In any case, love that trail ! So wish we had something like that in LA where you could ride a cross bike on for hours. It's either fire road, single/double track (all with mega hill climbs) or road (with too many maniacs !). Dirt or gravel roads simply don't exist here, not without getting far out of the city.

If we ever got out of Dodge here and came back , I'd have a home somewhere not far from that trail.

exapkib
11-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Black Mountain Cycles http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/black-mountain-cycles-frames.html

you can run up to a 43mm tire...

+1

And it turns out that you can run tires a lot wider than 43mm . . . .

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/1zaxxon/IMG_4967_zps528a014e.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/1zaxxon/media/IMG_4967_zps528a014e.jpg.html)
(Marathon Supreme 2.0 (50mm!))

For me, this bike really strikes the balance between affordable and nice, especially when compared with the other bikes in this "do it all (more or less)" segment.

Duende
11-11-2014, 12:53 AM
An "Everything Bike" is next on my list too. But I'm wanting carbon for frame material. Already went steel on my road bike.

Guess I got it backwards! :crap:

Louis
11-11-2014, 01:02 AM
In any case, love that trail ! So wish we had something like that in LA where you could ride a cross bike on for hours. It's either fire road, single/double track (all with mega hill climbs) or road (with too many maniacs !). Dirt or gravel roads simply don't exist here, not without getting far out of the city.

As the crow flies I'm about 2 miles from the KT, but on the east side of the MO river, and the trail's on the west side. They're rebuilding one of the spans of the Hwy 40/64 bridge over the river and will be adding a bike lane and (I think) a connection down to the trail. Once that's done I'll be about a 30 minute ride from the trail, but I probably won't go over much - I prefer the road riding to the trail.

AustinHorse
11-11-2014, 03:58 AM
riding for all city makes me impartial but my mr pink has been a great ride every time i've taken it to the bumpy stuff in the middle of the country. the big question really is weight though, it may be columbus steel but it's only zona (or soon to be 853...). If i was spending someone else's money that felt PR looks awfully good.

GScot
11-11-2014, 07:04 AM
We made it to town last night and the company has us in a hotel until Friday when our house is ready. And just renting for the first year. Already shivered while walking dogs this morning and this big front isn't even here yet. Our sheltie is from Canada and tells us we've done the right thing, let's just stay outside. The big dog is a poodle / Airedale and is happy in any weather. Going in to work today to talk about setting up for next week. Maybe I'll get a run in before the front.

Thanks for all the input I'll add since a sale of a bike was mentioned I am apparently statistical norm 5'8" and comfortable with a TT 53 to 54.5. 585 medium is my normal ride. My wife is more work to fit. TT about 53 but short ST, 48 or less ideal. Both of us have our bars as low as they go so big head tubes won't be needed. And yes as this describes our road bikes I figure these all arounders will get a more upright position.

fourflys
11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I like that green on the Black Mountain!

I just finished building up my Black Mountain Road in orange... just in time for winter of course... :mad:

Hard to get a better value than a Black Mountain... the only thing I would change is have have Mike do the build for me... he is quite the master mechanic and wheel builder... I did ok on my own though... ;)