PDA

View Full Version : Q for all you Shimano 10 speed users.

Len J
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
How much better, different is D/A 10 speed vs the 9 speed equivilant?

I have 5 year old D/A 9 speed on one of my bikes and have been thinking about upgrading.....what should i expect?

Thanks

Len

Bruce K
03-20-2006, 12:47 PM
The hoods are definitely easier on the hands, not quite so "bulky".

If you go 12-25 you get the 16T cog that many people always wished for in 9 speed.

10 speed seems to shift a little cleaner (but part of it might be because it's new).

BK

Smiley
03-20-2006, 12:48 PM
take it from me LenJ , the Ultegra 10 stuff as well as Durace 10 stuff Blows away any old nine speed stuff . The shifts are dead on ,the brakes will lock u up in a ny minute. Not even in the game when you compare 10 speed crispness to the old best 9 speed stuff.

Tailwinds
03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I've heard several complaints of the DA-10 drivetrain being noisy compared to the DA-9. Sounds like that's not a problem for anyone here on the forum that's tried it?

SoCalSteve
03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
with the D/A 10 drivetrain being noisy.

And, everything about it is better than the 9 speed stuff.

From the outboard BB bearings (which make maintenance a snap) to the super powerful brakes and crisp shifting. I think either you love the crankset or hate it, but to me its like industrial art.

Good luck!

Steve

Bruce K
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I haven't noticed the 10 speed being any noisier.

Smiley, I can't speak to better braking as I converted the Ottortt from 9sp to 10 sp D-A and the Concours from 9sp D-A to 10sp Ultegra.

The brakes stayed 9sp D-A as the old 9sp stuff went to the cross bikes.

BK

Dave B
03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Brakes are so far ahead of everyhting else!!!

Longer levers are nice for those who like to ride hoods way up and in the drops. Wicked stiff crankset

Chain has gotten some bum reviews with durability, but have not had any issues yet.

Still curious why Shimano has not put out a 1 1/8th inch headset.

Overall I love the Dura Ace stuff. Went back to it form Campy Record.

Nothing wrong with campy, but shimano seems so easy to me to work with.

Too Tall
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
You can expect a PM for your STI shifters.
Honestly, I'm not in the market. I'll do the same as I did with 8 spd and that is to use up and wear out all my 9 spd. stuff until such time it becomes inconveniant to maintain it easily with off the shelf bits. Thank you Shimano-san, you've lowered my daily costs for riding the good stuff ;)

BdaGhisallo
03-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Mr Pres,

Shimano will not produce a 1 1/8" headset for as long as Dia-compe holds their patent on the threadless headset design. There's no market for 1 1/8" threaded headsets so threadless is it. Shimano, for reasons of pride more than anything else I suspect, is loathe to pay royalties to another japanese companies for bicycle technology.

Tailwinds
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Sounds like DA-10 would be worth a try. Maybe I'll check it out when I live somewhere that doesn't make me appreciate my Campy 13-29 so much. Too bad Shimano didn't make a larger cog available when they went to 10-spd.

Climb01742
03-20-2006, 01:22 PM
for me, 10-speed is far, far better. brakes could stop a truck. hoods are much more comfy. shifts feel cleaner, crisper. 9-speed never seemed to go out of adjustment. time will tell if 10-speed is as bullet-proof. and i haven't noticed it being any more noisy either.

Len J
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
for me, 10-speed is far, far better. brakes could stop a truck. hoods are much more comfy. shifts feel cleaner, crisper. 9-speed never seemed to go out of adjustment. time will tell if 10-speed is as bullet-proof. and i haven't noticed it being any more noisy either.

I was honestly just thinking aqbout it....I had no idea that there was that big a difference.

How much different is the chain life?

Len

LegendRider
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I echo what everyone else has said - more powerful brakes, crisper shifting and better ergonomics (esp. if you mount your shifters high on the bars). To underscore the point, Ultegra 10 is better than Dura Ace 9.

Johny
03-20-2006, 01:55 PM
You can expect a PM for your STI shifters.
Honestly, I'm not in the market. I'll do the same as I did with 8 spd and that is to use up and wear out all my 9 spd. stuff until such time it becomes inconveniant to maintain it easily with off the shelf bits. Thank you Shimano-san, you've lowered my daily costs for riding the good stuff ;)

You are my hero.

jamesau
03-20-2006, 02:22 PM
To those of you who say the new 10 spd brakes are better: is this attributable to the calipers, pads, or brake levers?

(I'm still in the Shimano 9 speed era).

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Johny
03-20-2006, 02:27 PM
To those of you who say the new 10 spd brakes are better: is this attributable to the calipers, pads, or brake levers?

(I'm still in the Shimano 9 speed era).

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Pads. Koolstop salmon brake pads* would make 105 better than 7800 IMHO ATMO.

* Could stop a train.

Tailwinds
03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Pads. Koolstop salmon brake pads* would make 105 better than 7800 IMHO ATMO.

* Could stop a train.

Yes, I installed those on my DA-9 calipers -- much better braking!

Len J
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I installed those on my DA-9 calipers -- much better braking!

Tailwinds:

How's the bike now? (after a week or so of riding)

Len

Bruce K
03-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I got to using the Kool Stop Salmons while riding with Bill Bove down in FL.

The bike stops on a dime, but pad life isn't so great and there seems to be a lot more (NOTE: Here comes a HIGHLY technical term) scuz on the braking surface, adjacent tire and wheel surfaces, and the pads themselves.

I am going back to D-A pads on the road bikes, at least to start the season.

BK

victoryfactory
03-20-2006, 02:46 PM
They say the cranks are stiffer:
I can't tell the difference, but I'm not a racer

They say the calipers are better:
I cheaped out and kept my old ones

Shifting:
When well tuned, both 9 and 10 are quiet and seem (to me) to shift
equally smoothly.

Bottom line:
Go with the new stuff so you can be cool.
However, one caveat:
If you have one bike with 9 and one with 10 you will have a problem
switching wheels fast. (like if you are going out and notice you have
a flat)
you will need two kinds of cassette, two kinds of chain, etc so one or the
other is optimum.

VF
(one of each at the moment)

Tailwinds
03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Tailwinds:

How's the bike now? (after a week or so of riding)

Len

The bike is awesome! It has Campy. ;)

Len J
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
The bike is awesome! It has Campy. ;)

it wouldn't be????? :p

Len

keno
03-20-2006, 03:43 PM
but I got the setup with the noise. Maybe it's the bones in my feet. Even so, the 10s are the way to go.

keno

Grant McLean
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Mr Pres,

Shimano will not produce a 1 1/8" headset for as long as Dia-compe holds their patent on the threadless headset design. There's no market for 1 1/8" threaded headsets so threadless is it. Shimano, for reasons of pride more than anything else I suspect, is loathe to pay royalties to another japanese companies for bicycle technology.

To add to this... so many frames have an integrated headset, that
even if they did sell and 1 1/8" road threadless headsets, there would
still be many bike manufacturers that have no need for one.
Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, and many other "volume" builders
don't use them.

Campy got out of the blocks early, and now their design is used by
many builders for their integrated models. (including Cannondale)

-g

FATBOY
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
the best thing about 9 speed Shimano parts were that they made it really easy to sell Campy kits on all of the custom bikes I did. The new 10 spd parts are much better in terms of feel ie.. shifter precision, braking power etc.. it seems for many on the forum it has not been the function at issue but the form. Lots o' grumblin over minutae like crank aesthetics and the like. You can expect a shifter that doesn't feel broken out of the box, brakes that will stop a truck and a drivetrain that is quiet and precise. But then again, I have been drinking...... :beer:

Serotta PETE
03-22-2006, 05:47 AM
take it from me LenJ , the Ultegra 10 stuff as well as Durace 10 stuff Blows away any old nine speed stuff . The shifts are dead on ,the brakes will lock u up in a ny minute. Not even in the game when you compare 10 speed crispness to the old best 9 speed stuff.

This has been my observation with the 10 speed also. I have the ULTEGRA on my travel bike and it is great,

I still like the looks of CAMPY better (subjective).

CalfeeFly
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Let you wallet decide your choice.

If the price of upgrading to 10 speed is no big deal do it! The 9 speed D/A sells fast on ebay and there could even be buyers here.

10 speed...from so many sources must have:
Better Brakes
Better Shifting
Hoods ? some like some don't Lance likes
Etc.

Me I'll stay with my 9 speed. I'd rather put the money in wheels, good tires that don't last long (when summer comes), and other fun things. When it wears out I'll worry about it. Just like another post my mt. bike is still 8 speed and since I hardly ride it I'd guess it will always be that. They are good parts and they work fine.