PDA

View Full Version : my best friend is dying...

cash05458
11-09-2014, 01:46 AM
simple note here...and don't expect much as we have all been thru this...but my dog, my boy Cash...is dying....tonight, or tomorrow certainly...I live alone and he has been my family for eleven years...a beautiful aussie shep....who is smarter than I am...I am going to miss him like a leg or arm...

wooly
11-09-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear. I lost my Dane about 10 years ago and remember how tough it was. Remember the good times. I'm sure you were as good of a pal to him as he was to you.

Bruce K
11-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Never easy

They are not "like family", they ARE family

Hang in there. This is when he needs you most.

The pain of the loss will fade some with time. The memories never will.

BK

Cicli
11-09-2014, 04:30 AM
This makes me sad.

Remember the good times. Every pet we have lost has been replaced by another deserving soul that we give a new lease on life.

Live every day trying to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Dale Alan
11-09-2014, 04:32 AM
Sorry to hear this,been there myself. It is never easy,time will help heal. Just try to remember all the happy times and unconditional love He gave you.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Absolutely part of the family. Been through this a half dozen times. And it is never easy. Got two little guys sleeping next to me right now. Reality is they do not live forever. Remember the many good times. Condolences.

oldpotatoe
11-09-2014, 05:30 AM
simple note here...and don't expect much as we have all been thru this...but my dog, my boy Cash...is dying....tonight, or tomorrow certainly...I live alone and he has been my family for eleven years...a beautiful aussie shep....who is smarter than I am...I am going to miss him like a leg or arm...

So sorry to hear. Our furry friends are the innocent of the world, he knows he was loved, cherished. So sorry.

soulspinner
11-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Sorry man. Lost our Maltipoo at just 5 years old Oct 13. Ideopathic platelet loss.The girl had the best medical care and we still couldn't save her. Your dogs are always part of you. Sounds like yours had a good life.

Black Dog
11-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Have been through this too, a few times. I, and many here, know what you are going through and are willing to help you if we can. So sorry and hang in there.

dancinkozmo
11-09-2014, 06:31 AM
so sorry to hear...hang in there .

OtayBW
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM
The hardest thing in the world is knowing that your decision to put him down is inevitably coming. Your way will not be easy, but at some point, it will be clear that 'now is the time'. Do your job well.

We are all traveling though this world...in one form or another.

shovelhd
11-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Remember the good times. Condolences.

Matthew
11-09-2014, 07:26 AM
So sorry to hear this. It certainly is never easy. Cherish the memories. In due time, rescue another furry friend to make more amazing experiences. Can really help ease the pain. RIP Cash. Matthew

Steve in SLO
11-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear that. Dogs are the best unconditional friends we have, when one goes it is often difficult. We lost our dog earlier this year and sometimes I come home and think I hear her tail slapping the carpet as I enter.

MattTuck
11-09-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm sure your dog had a better life for being with you.

Climb01742
11-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Saying goodbye to my dog Sammy after 16 years together was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but they never really leave us. Being there with them to say goodbye matters, I think. Good luck and sorry.

dogdriver
11-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Sorry. A dog's short life span is a great inequity. I guess that they have to squeeze all that goodness into 10-12 years...

dekindy
11-09-2014, 09:05 AM
One of the toughest things I ever had to do was put our first dog to sleep because he was so ill. Bit of advice, if you take him to the vet, don't stay with him when they do it. At least I wish I had not. Seeing the life go out of those eyes was painful. On the other hand there may be no easy way to do it.

Sorry for your loss. We did not get a new dog for a few years because our Son is handicapped and he would have been too rough with it. Not sure how long we would have waited otherwise. Our first dog was a Wire Haired Fox Terrier and our current dog is a Goldendoodle, 8-years old and we got him before they became popular. Other than being dogs, they are different in every way but we seem to like them both. It might be too soon to discuss and you may not believe it now, but you will want to get another pet, probably a dog, and it will be great, different, but great.

Veloo
11-09-2014, 09:14 AM
So sorry to hear. But when it's time to free them from any pain and suffering, you know it in your heart. I'm sure he appreciates the life you gave him and you being there when he crosses over.

jghall
11-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Every time I read these my eyes start to tear up. Been there, done that. Definitely family. Sorry to hear of your loss. Both your lives were blessed by each other. Never goes away, but gets better with time. Best wishes.

ByronApp
11-09-2014, 09:35 AM
So sorry to hear. :(

sitzmark
11-09-2014, 09:40 AM
You'll surely miss his presence like an arm or leg, but his spirit will always be the wind at your back. Take the torch and carry him proudly when the time comes.

winmonster
11-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Our ridgeback died earlier this year, and it was hard on all of us. Seeing the kids grieve was particularly heart wrenching. My condolences to you.

Ken Robb
11-09-2014, 09:43 AM
We had to put two elderly dogs down within 6 months of each other. After the first one went we adopted Eric from the pound. We were debating the wisdom of getting a new dog while the 17 year-old pooch was failing but Leslie saw a canine face in the adopt-a-dog insert of the newspaper and we were hooked. He got along fine with the old guy and we had a dog for each lap. On the way home from that final vet trip for the old boy we agreed through our tears that we were VERY glad we were not going home to a quiet, empty house.

Opinions vary but I think most of us need an outlet for love and their is no advantage to waiting to find one. I would start cruising shelters soon until "someone speaks to you". On the last visits Leslie wanted to be there to the very end but I went outside to cry.

Heck, I'm kind of teary writing this.

josephr
11-09-2014, 10:04 AM
difficult times dude...hang in there and try and think about all the great times you guys shared! Both of you fortunate to be such solid friends!

callt5
11-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear this. Absolutely he is "family". Remember the 11 years. Very lucky to have those 11 years. Sounds like he enriched your life. And, remember he was lucky to have you in his life too.

Raffy
11-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear about what you're going through, I've been there a few years ago.

guido
11-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I had to put down my 13 year old cat a few years ago. He was diabetic for 9 years, and he was on twice a day insulin shots and frequent glucose tests. He went through some scary times. But he was at the window waiting for me when ever I came home, on my lap whenever I slowed down, slept under the covers every night and every day was filled with the music of his purrs.
He finally lost so much weight and was in such pain I had to let him go.

I have another cat in my life now, healthy but very different personality in so many ways. But he's really special too. I can't image life without a cat.

Those who question your feelings simply haven't been there. There isn't anything quite like it.

I wish you peace in this hard time.

guido

jmeloy
11-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Lost my buddy, Owen, a 9 year old lab 6 months ago and still miss him every day. Got s great new pup and she'll be a fine friend. Hang tough friend!

Scooper
11-09-2014, 12:46 PM
I am so sorry.

When Baxter, my golden retriever, died in 2005 I was a basket case for weeks. It's a good thing I had retired two years earlier because I'd have been useless at work.

It was 2010 before I finally got a golden puppy, and although he can't ever replace Baxter, he's a magnificent companion and friend in his own right. We shouldn't have waited five years to get Jason.

Lord Byron wrote this memorial to Boatswain, his beloved Newfoundland:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Miscellaneous/Boatswainmonument_zps063f4ecd.jpg

Louis
11-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Pets have always been an important part of my life, and since I too live alone I know how you feel. All we can do is give them wonderful lives when they're with us, and when it's time for them to do, as they must eventually, say "Goodbye" in an appropriate manner.

When my 22 yr old cat Abby could no longer get up from a lying position I knew it was time. I took two days off from work and on the first spent it with him. On the second the vet came out to my house and euthanized him. It was very peaceful, and he died in my arms.

Nothing lives forever, but they can live with us in our memories for the rest of our lives.

Climb01742
11-09-2014, 01:16 PM
One of the toughest things I ever had to do was put our first dog to sleep because he was so ill. Bit of advice, if you take him to the vet, don't stay with him when they do it. At least I wish I had not. Seeing the life go out of those eyes was painful.

This is such a hard question. Seeing the life go out of a dog's eyes you love is heartbreaking. It's an image I'll never forget, though there are times I wish I could. But what, for me, would have been far worse is my dog passing away with strangers, without someone who loved him holding him.

Louis
11-09-2014, 01:19 PM
But what, for me, would have been far worse is my dog passing away with strangers, without someone who loved him holding him.

+1

I want to be there, comforting him or her to the end.

Edit: I also found that digging Abby's grave for him was cathartic. Not easy, but I was happy to do it for him, and I'm glad I didn't have him cremated.

SZWONDERS
11-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Lost 2 cats in the last year, our our only way to deal is in picking out the next wonderful members of our family that we will love and cherish and share our love lives with. So sorry for your loss.

cash05458
11-09-2014, 02:33 PM
ok...he is gone...thank you friends for your notes...I feel lucky enough to have a vet come over on a sunday morning to put him to sleep...I am thankful for that...Cash was my best friend and I have never felt as close to anyone or thing in my life...so thanks guys for the notes as it helps a little and I do appreciate......Jeff

Cicli
11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
ok...he is gone...thank you friends for your notes...I feel lucky enough to have a vet come over on a sunday morning to put him to sleep...I am thankful for that...Cash was my best friend and I have never felt as close to anyone or thing in my life...so thanks guys for the notes as it helps a little and I do appreciate......Jeff

My dog Al is sad for you. He hopes you find a new friend soon.

uno-speedo
11-09-2014, 02:56 PM
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

RIP Cash.

tumbler
11-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Really sorry to hear this. As someone else posted, our dogs aren't like family, they are family. In many ways, they are the best example of family as they love unconditionally, stick with you no matter what, and ask for very little in return. I'm sure that Cash had a great life and you are both better off for the years you spent together. Just typing this out gives me a knot in my throat. I wish Cash a peaceful rest. You'll get through this and be left with memories that last forever. Sending good thoughts your way.

cash05458
11-09-2014, 05:06 PM
hey...sorry to be so muted as I am in shock...but all of your notes I read mean so much to me...THANK YOU...

just for a little info...I had a buddy come by with a bulldozer...we dug a hole you could fit ten bodies in....it is night and all the neghbors came out via the lights and everyone here knows my boy Cash...so we had a nice funeral burial ect....I really appreciate all the nice notes from the members here....thank you!

Gsinill
11-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Jeff!

We lost our beloved dog a few years ago and one of our 2 cats was just diagnosed with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis.
I always tell my wife that besides having a great life, our pets don't need to suffer more than what is necessary once they get ill. This said, I am glad you could go the vet route and were able to celebrate Cash's life with your neighbors.
Time heals all wounds and the good memories will prevail.

Hang in there and think about how lucky Cash was to have you as his daddy!

cash05458
11-09-2014, 06:32 PM
honestly, thanks folks...hurting here, but it means alot via our community....some nice words here fromm good people...thank you... !!!

robin3mj
11-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Our dogs bring out the best in us. I'm sorry for your loss and will give my pup an extra scratch before today ends.

Scooper
11-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Jeff, please don't feel guilty about mourning your loss.

I've had both parents, two siblings, and long time significant others die, but was more stressed and depressed when my dog Baxter died than at the loss of any of my relatives or intimate friends. I felt guilty about that, but have come to realize that my sense of loss about Baxter was more profound because he never complained, was never disagreeable, was always anxious to please, was always a most faithful friend and companion, and never embarrassed me. I was always proud to be in his company, which is more than I can say for some human relatives and friends.

Remember the wonderful times you had with your best friend and smile.

mosca
11-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Give yourself a pat on the back for giving Cash the love he clearly deserved. I always find people's love for dogs very moving. Peace to you and Cash.

lovethesport
11-10-2014, 10:35 AM
As I get older I appreciate more the reciprocal love I have enjoyed thru the years with our various dogs. We lost our Golden Retriever( a true family member) two years ago to cancer. We could not bear to replace her with another Golden so after a year we found a wonderful English Springer. Thru new experiences she has become a family member as well by complementing vs competing with the old memories.

rphetteplace
11-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I can't even read this because it still hurts too much from the loss of my best friend over a year ago. Hardest thing I ever went through. My heart goes out to you for your loss.

Ryan

makoti
11-10-2014, 04:39 PM
This is such a hard question. Seeing the life go out of a dog's eyes you love is heartbreaking. It's an image I'll never forget, though there are times I wish I could. But what, for me, would have been far worse is my dog passing away with strangers, without someone who loved him holding him.

I agree with this so much.
I've done it eight times. It is NEVER easy, it never gets any easier. But, and I know everyone is different & you can only do what you can do, I take it as my responsibility to my pet to be there for them at the end. So they see my face, hear my voice, feel my touch as they pass.
They asked so little & gave me so much. I couldn't let them suffer and I couldn't leave them with strangers at the end.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

enr1co
11-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Very sorry and sad for you loss of your best friend. Like others posting and fwiw, absolutely share the pain and tears with you. Take some comfort in that he knows how much you loved him and he will always be in your heart.

runbike8
11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry for your loss...just went through the same thing 6 weeks ago - hang in there

Ken Robb
11-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Our vet gives a "sleepy-bye" shot so our pet drifts off in our arms. After 15 minutes or so of private time he comes back with the lethal shot and gives us the option of going or staying. By this time our "kid" is totally unconscious. I have to leave but Leslie stays. We both cry a lot.

cash05458
11-10-2014, 08:38 PM
thank you so very Much guys...came on here after all day today and it means the world to me to read these notes...I cannot say that enough so I just need to press that via our forum...I am in outer space vie my head and it has been a rough day...but all of your stories and support have helped so VERY much...I didn't expect...so thank YOU!!!! I never say things like this but thank you for the love guys....it really really helped...

my only consolation is I was able to bury him right...have a vet come to my house on Sunday as I know and made a cheap call that I am her mailman...and she came and was wonderful...I feel so friggin lucky for that... ended and community support from my neighbors here at my place via a giant bulldozer coming down...we dug a pit I could throw ten bodies in....folks helped me out and that was surprising...THANK YOU forum members....Jeff