PDA

View Full Version : New Giro Synthe Helmet

bobswire
11-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Another cool but highly overpriced piece of sculptured foam. Give it two years and get for 1/3 the price much like Giro Attack.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/giro-synthe-helmet-review

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1172042_-1_400026__400026?utm_source=Retail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=141108Sa&utm_campaign=R_BotBanner1_Giro&cm_mmc=Email-_-Retail-_-141108Sa-_-R_BotBanner1_Giro&cm_em=bobswire@yahoo.com&cm_lm=sp:bobswire@yahoo.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_ite=141108_Retail_DoublePts3%20%281%29&spMailingID=11398753&spUserID=NjA5NzIxMzAzOTAS1&spJobID=383368892&spReportId=MzgzMzY4ODkyS0

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qiy8f4.jpg

LG Course Helmet

http://i58.tinypic.com/2s8lobl.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/152mkck.jpg

buck-50
11-08-2014, 01:55 PM
And this helmet is why the air attack is currently selling for under $100...

I really like Giro's retromodern style direction- from shoes with laces to helmets that don't have ridiculous wings and points, I think they've got some of the best looking and working gear in the business.

thirdgenbird
11-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm all a out retromodern but thought the air attack was a horrible example. It was an ugly design both times around. I would only consider one for cold weather riding if the price dropped to around $30

Anyway, synth looks alright, I could get behind that at around $100 provided it fits my big head.

Dead Man
11-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I'm afraid I don't see any improvement in asthetic.. ?

Still just looks like fat ugly corn rows on your head.

The idea of a good looking helmet violates the law of noncontradiction. Accept them as a necessary PITA, certainly try to minimize the aesthetic detraction as much as possible... but you're kidding yourself if you think oh man, I look good with this big ass chunk of crap strapped to my dome.

:p

thirdgenbird
11-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I will take fat corn rows over an ice cream bowl.

SlowPokePete
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Always have liked (and used) Giro, and I like the looks but too much $$$ for me...

SPP

tigoat
11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
It looks pretty nice to me with that aero/cool shape. You guys would drop thousands of your disposable income on some useless 11-speed Super Record/Dura Ace/carbon this and that and then complain about a retail $250 helmet that might save your life, not to mention it is a lightweight high performance piece of useful gear. No body in their right mind would pay anything retail nowadays so shop smart like most of us do.

Llewellyn
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM

The Air Attack is such an ugly helmet (well, they're all ugly, but it's uglier than most) that you'd have to pay me a truckload of cash to wear it.

I've always liked the Atmos, it's the peak of Giro's helmet designs IMO.

thirdgenbird
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
It looks pretty nice to me with that aero/cool shape. You guys would drop thousands of your disposable income on some useless 11-speed Super Record/Dura Ace/carbon this and that and then complain about a retail $250 helmet that might save your life, not to mention it is a lightweight high performance piece of useful gear. No body in their right mind would pay anything retail nowadays so shop smart like most of us do.

I'm not complaining about the price, I'm just saying I won't buy one at the current price point. I've got what I think is a better looking helmet that is just as capable of saving my life, and it cost much less than what this will. Giro will have no problems selling these to others and more power to them for it.

ultraman6970
11-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Nice helmet but...

Anybody remember this kid that died like 3 years ago in the giro?? to many this coment has no sense but there is a reason I'm ventilating that accident up.

DRietz
11-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Nice helmet but...

Anybody remember this kid that died like 3 years ago in the giro?? to many this coment has no sense but there is a reason I'm ventilating that accident up.

And what reason is that? To prove that if you collide with a guard rail and then subsequently a wall at over 50mph, that a helmet probably won't be the deciding factor between life and death?

Yeah, probably not. But why not wear one anyway? It doesn't have to cost $300. $40 ones protect your head the very same way.

For those of you baulking at the price - nothing in the bike world is worth its retail price. Not even close. That's just stating the obvious.

But there's a butt ton of people out there willing to pay to be faster/more/aero/cooler/a bigger fanboy so more power to Giro for capitalizing on that until the next big marketing trend. Looks like a fine lid.

ultraman6970
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Dont want to start a 10 pages thread about it, but the reason I mentioned it was because every year the helmets are getting more and more thin in the forehead, that is ok for the looks and to lower costs in materials but you get no protection in the forehead and the nose at all.

For the example, the pro in the picture, hit something head on and land in your face and sure the nasal septum will say bye bye together maybe with your brains, well... if you have the bad luck of that to happen it could happen well at 80 km/h where any helmet wont work anyways, but at lower speeds it wil lsuck to crack the nose just because it (nose) wast protruding too much out than your forehead protection. If you looked that day of the accident the guys thought at the begining was an asian rider... I told my wife when I saw the live video.. "the guy flatted his face, the dude wont last", and that happened just the year that the helmets started getting thinner in the forehead, just a thing of opinions here ok? besides for 300 bucks I cant afford it either :D

I know the chances of that to happen are low too, but you never know, there is a reason helmets used to be quite big in the neck area too (protect the neck) and the forehead area was there to protect the face, in a matter of fact the feature is still seen in kids helmets and darn work, seen it with my kids and other kids in the park, but is sadly gone in some high end adult helmets, mktg maybe??

:)

r_mutt
11-08-2014, 06:59 PM
looks like Giro liked what they saw the LG Course helmet.

bobswire
11-08-2014, 07:38 PM
looks like Giro liked what they saw the LG Course helmet.
I see what you mean, I added one to the thread on top. I think I like the Course better

Ti Designs
11-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Can't have a safe helmet without headphones...

makoti
11-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Was going to let this go, since I figured it was a team member in the pic, but yeah - that was the first thing I noticed. Not the helmet, the earpiece.

oldpotatoe
11-09-2014, 09:15 AM

I really like Giro's retromodern style direction- from shoes with laces to helmets that don't have ridiculous wings and points, I think they've got some of the best looking and working gear in the business.

I like the 'hairnet-esque' look of it. Have a Aeon, don't like it, too big, with the mentioned wings and points. Had a Atmos, better, but smaller also. Gotta wear one of the things...like it when it's small.

ByronApp
11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I like the 'hairnet-esque' look of it. Have a Aeon, don't like it, too big, with the mentioned wings and points. Had a Atmos, better, but smaller also. Gotta wear one of the things...like it when it's small.

Giro Atmos is one of my favorite helmets. I have an Air Attack and agree with the others that it is ugly as sin....but if it makes me feel more aero, that's all that matters! :banana:

Spdntrxi
11-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Atoms is a great looking helmet.. I used one and my daughter still currently does..
The synthe .. Not so much

callt5
11-09-2014, 10:22 AM
$250.00 Really?

I agree. Attack ugly. Atmos their best yet!

Llewellyn
11-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Atmos their best yet!

It would seem that lots of other people agree because they seem to have been around for donkey's years and they're still made AFAIK aren't they?

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2014, 04:27 PM
. . . because my Boreas had a big thick forehead area. That's right where I landed when I went over the bars and doc told me if I didn't have the helmet on I'd be dead.

I'm really not familiar with the testing standards for helmets. I know they have to have a certain impact resistance, but are they also required to pass tests with hits from a variety of angles that are at least attempted to resemble real world crashes?

I would imagine going over the bars and landing on the facial area is a fairly common scenario. I agree this new helmet doesn't look like it would give much of any protection in that situation. Good-bye, nose . . .

BBD

r_mutt
11-10-2014, 06:21 AM
I see what you mean, I added one to the thread on top. I think I like the Course better

i do. i've been wearing it for a year now and i am very pleased. had a few teammates go down hard and thus far, the helmet has done it's job. i can't speak for it's aero-ness- i wouldn't believe anyone who can tell by the seat of their pants that it's "faster". it's very comfortable, yes, and i recall reading that "even giro acknowledged that the LG test very well in the wind tunnel. no wonder they copied it.

:beer:

that looks like tj van garderen so it's possible that it's an ear piece he's wearing.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2014, 06:25 AM
$250.00 Really?

I agree. Attack ugly. Atmos their best yet!

I actually liked the Pneumo..small, fit better.

BTW-have a Synthe 'on order'..in stock first or second week of December..I'll report back. Anybody wanna buy a medium Aeon? Titanium?

PM me..

regularguy412
11-10-2014, 08:42 AM
I like the Synthe. I'd own one. Too pricey right now, tho. I use an Atmos. This is my second. Used the first one up and still here to talk about it.

Mike in AR:beer:

berserk87
11-11-2014, 09:12 PM
I actually liked the Pneumo..small, fit better.

There is no past tense when regarding the Pneumo. It's back by popular demand!

I've been wearing the Pneumo for years. Fits my dome and is now pretty cheap compared to some other options out there.