PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Etiquette in LaLa Land

campy man
11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Is it just in LA or have cyclist all over stopped asking if riders on the side of the road are ok and/or need anything?

Had a flat this morning in Griffith Park and 2 different riders didn't blink an eye as they passed. Both had nice bikes and kits so it was obvious they were experienced riders. It was the main road cutting through the park so it wasn't like we were on a secluded road.

Same thing happened about a month ago. I stopped to help a father and son fix a flat, the dad did not know how to use CO2 to inflate the tire. Two guys that were obviously very experienced riders never slowed to ask or acknowledge us on the side of the road :no:

It doesn't take much effort to slow and ask a rider stopped on the side if they need anything.

While I have your attention, the next idiot that yells in my ear "on the right" as they pass me is going to get chased down and have a stick shoved in their spokes. Is it really necessary to shout at a rider that is obviously riding slower & the far right of the bike lane :confused:

cinema
11-07-2014, 01:43 PM
A lot of insane people in Griffith park. Don't take it personally. Women were assaulted there several times this year. A man is in a coma right now after being beaten up within an inch of his life last weekend on a hike to the hollywood sign. I've tried to help people several times but usually they are intent on walking or don't know what they're doing. One time I wasted a tube on a homeless person who I didn't realize was homeless until some other crack head came out of the trees with all their crap. Wanted help with another bike. No thanks.

I often say hello to cyclists I see on most days unless it's real packed and I'm almost never acknowledged. Rode up Griffith with a good friend just yesterday who was passed on the right, on the far right side of the road, by someone on a modern aluminum bike in basketball shorts and cheap flat pedals. The place is not pro or even sane.

90% of all pro looking ass hats that fly down the backside of the park are dicks and will not acknowledge you last week I almost killed one who was climbing on the wrong side as I was bombing down. Some giant carbon bike wearing a kit with brand names on it, the guy you would usually think knew what he was doing.

I have stopped, for the most part, trusting anyone in that neck of the woods but I will still yell out and ask if someone needs help who I see on the side of the road, and give a peace sign to most folks that look like they're enjoying their ride. A lot of times people just exercising in the park will flat and I do not want to get involved with that. Usually they have tires that are so bald they will flat by the time they descend again or have schrader valves. And a lot of the time people don't even want help.

makoti
11-07-2014, 01:45 PM
It's not just LA...

Steve in SLO
11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I always ask, and have been stopped in response two or three times in the past year to either provide a tube or help fix their flat. I'm always happy to do it, but that's just here in small-town USA.

josephr
11-07-2014, 01:56 PM
How many times have you passed a rider and asked them if they needed help and got the response "no thanks, I got it"....I don't ask anymore cause no one ever takes up the offer.

Of course, its different if its someone I'm riding with or a cyclist I know, I'll pull over until they get back on the road.

Steve in SLO
11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Mostly they answer "no thanks", but I just do it out of common courtesy. In my mind, I believe that some people feel better that I have asked.

campy man
11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I always ask, and have been stopped in response two or three times in the past year to either provide a tube or help fix their flat. I'm always happy to do it, but that's just here in small-town USA.

Same here, the guys that showed me around when I started riding always took the time to stop and help a brother/sister on the road.

makoti
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
How many times have you passed a rider and asked them if they needed help and got the response "no thanks, I got it"....I don't ask anymore cause no one ever takes up the offer.

Every time. And I hope that's what they say every time from now on. Why would I stop asking just because, so far, everyone has been self-sufficient?

cinema
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Every time. And I hope that's what they say every time from now on. Why would I stop asking just because, so far, everyone has been self-sufficient?

Same here. Actually most of the time when someone needs help they will flag me down and I'm happy to help. Unless homeless crackhead woods squatter. There may certainly be a macho aspect to a lot of cyclist personalities here, as if accepting help would hurt their ego, but I honestly hope that they all really can fix a flat and they do 'got it'.

cat6
11-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm in LA and I always ask. Have multiple stories of helping people out w/results of gushy gratitude and others with barely a thank you.

vqdriver
11-07-2014, 02:33 PM
same here. i've probably handed out more tubes than i've used myself. it's remarkable how many people carry patches and air but no tube. lots of surprised gratitude so i'm guessing not a lot of people actually stop and offer.

fwiw, a full kit and nice bike is no indication of a rider's experience here in LA.

Dead Man
11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Are you a babe? You're probably not a babe. I only stop for babes

SpokeValley
11-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I always ask and like some others, I've given out more tubes than I've replaced. I've also done my share of fixing broken chains (that are ALWAYS caked with gunk) and der adjustments galore.

I'm kind of a Boy Scout, do a good turn daily, and it just makes me feel better whether my help is needed or not.

campy man
11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
That's probably my mistake to assume a nice bike and kit indicates experience & membership in the fraternity of cyclist.

Have all the recent riders learned about cycling via Armstrong videos? I remember training rides when experienced guys would cruise in the back and offer advice to the beginners about holding lines, over lapping wheels and conserving energy. The other way, beginners would kinda hold back and observe the stronger riders. Heck, I can remember when I started doing group rides a Cat 1 rider screaming at me for not holding a line in a turn ... I learned that lesson quickly.

fogrider
11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Is it just in LA or have cyclist all over stopped asking if riders on the side of the road are ok and/or need anything?

Had a flat this morning in Griffith Park and 2 different riders didn't blink an eye as they passed. Both had nice bikes and kits so it was obvious they were experienced riders. It was the main road cutting through the park so it wasn't like we were on a secluded road.

Same thing happened about a month ago. I stopped to help a father and son fix a flat, the dad did not know how to use CO2 to inflate the tire. Two guys that were obviously very experienced riders never slowed to ask or acknowledge us on the side of the road :no:

It doesn't take much effort to slow and ask a rider stopped on the side if they need anything.

While I have your attention, the next idiot that yells in my ear "on the right" as they pass me is going to get chased down and have a stick shoved in their spokes. Is it really necessary to shout at a rider that is obviously riding slower & the far right of the bike lane :confused:

I ride on tubulars and don't carry a tube or patch kit so if I see someone on the side of the road I try to notice if they have a pump since that's the only thing I can provide. most of the time, I can see they have what they need so I keep going...without asking. I've been on the side of the road before and a bunch of people ask "do you have what you need?" as I'm pumping my tire back up...I yell back - Yes, thanks! again and again. I'm thankful that people ask, but if I'm there with three other guys and pumping the tire back up, I'm good! So if you're riding and don't carry any way to fix a flat...and I know guys that don't, am I going to stop for you? I mean if your spare tube is also leaking and your glue dried out and your pump broke, I'm willing to help, but if you went out thinking that if you get a flat, you were going to call a buddy for a ride and there is no cell coverage where you flatted...walk.

as for people yelling on the right...it doesn't seem to happen here in the bay area...except for when they have the groups training for the AIDS ride and they almost never pass me...but they do give me dirty looks for passing them without yelling a warning.

MattTuck
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
That's probably my mistake to assume a nice bike and kit indicates experience & membership in the fraternity of cyclist.

was going to point this out. it is faulty logic. a nice bike and nice kit are really only indicators that the person is willing to spend a lot on their cycling. Doesn't say if that is because they have a lot and dropping 10K on a bike is an afterthought, or if every spare penny after rent and food go toward their passion.

I always ask.
Except when I'm going for a KOM on strava, then I just yell "strava!" as I pass them, so they atleast know I'm not a total jerk. ;)

EDS
11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
In NY, with so many cyclists, it is hard to ask everyone. Generally, if someone looks like they know what they are doing and are focusing on the job at hand I probably won't ask if they need help.

bobswire
11-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Me thinks many of those riders in nice kits and bikes that passed you wouldn't be able to help you much less themselves if they had a mechanical. They just get on their cell and call for a ride.

Waldo
11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Three of us pulled over to help a guy with a double flat a few months ago on Grizzly Peak climb in Berkeley. A rider in matching jersey and shorts, whizzed by, chasing Strava status. My friend Howie called out: "We are fine, thanks for asking!" Ensuing laughter delayed flat repair by 60 seconds.

Saint Vitus
11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
In NY, with so many cyclists, it is hard to ask everyone. Generally, if someone looks like they know what they are doing and are focusing on the job at hand I probably won't ask if they need help.

This.

That said, I crashed last week on my workplace grounds (slick pavement from first rain), 4 cars passed and no one stopped to ask if I was OK and it was obvious that I was not sitting on the curb for the hell of it...

josephr
11-07-2014, 11:07 PM

well, if they're having a problem...won't they let you know? I wouldn't hesitate to stop...but, jeez...so many people let their pride get in the way. Heck, do we need to be reminded of that gal that went on a anti-dude rant just because someone passed her going up hill saying 'almost to the top' and interpreting that as some misogynistic insult?

pdmtong
11-07-2014, 11:20 PM
In LA making eye contact is a sign of weakness

Dead Man
11-08-2014, 12:17 AM

FTW

---

Today I got my first flat in quite a while. I had about a 15 mile TT approach to my first big climb, and vaguely remember running over something pretty big while I had my head down pumping it out... arriving at my climb, I get about 1/4th of the way up, feeling strong, going for a PR..... wah, wah, waaaaah- back tire is half flat.

I'd noticed at least two cars laden with MTBs shuttling up and down the road, intermittently- tons of downhill as well as road riding on this particular area (Rocky Point, for you local boys). I had some trouble locating the puncture- tried to use my generally-successful method of patching whilst everything stays mounted on the bike, but turn after turn produced no hissing. Finally had to strip it off, inflate the tube to about 3 times its normal size before I FINALLY found the smallest/slowest little one-sided snakebite I think I've ever seen.

In all that time wasting away on the side of the road, the MTBers didn't even slow down and shout "y'all'rite?" out the window, but a non-bike-laden motorist did.

Dave Ferris
11-08-2014, 12:25 AM
I've been here 36 years in Jan. The thrill has long been gone. Basically I hate LA. Like the weather, the high level of musicians to play with and the few remaining gigs left. I do like my hood over here in NE Glendale, Montrose and La Canada.

That said- if I could pick up our house, and my studio, and plunk it down somewhere in Ventura - I'd be gone tomorrow.

Never have dug the GP area for running or biking, even though it's not far from my house. Too close to the funk of LA. . The only time I go over there is if my running club is doing a club run on the trails on a Sunday.

I much prefer the Rose Bowl area. Any road rides I do, I head over through Descanso/ Berkshire/Linda Vista and either do a few loops of the Bowl or head down the Arroyo south to Mission and turn around there. Nice area, feels safe and more mellow then the GP area.

Yes agree, roadies are generally pretty snooty around here. Although I run into many road bike guys riding up the fireroads in the Verdugos on their mtn. bikes. Maybe being off the road (away from the speeding Beemers & Mercedes) and on the trail takes the edge off them. They always seem friendly up there.

ispy
11-08-2014, 12:56 AM
My son and I ride through GP to the Griffith Observatory and find passing riders are friendly enough... but then again we are on a cargobike festooned with robot decals. And most people aren't so heartless as to ignore a kid yelling out Hi! (I encourage my son to say Hi to other cyclists and to say something nice about every bike :-).

Interestingly though, I find the older/experienced/stronger riders to be more affable. Maybe because seeing a little kid reminds them of younger days? Or because they cycled in an earlier culture of (reputedly?) friendlier etiquette?

I find commuters tend to acknowledge each other, even with just a nod as we pass each other, I think out of empathy/support in a town not so conducive to cycling. Ironically I suspect it's also this scarcity of ridership that leads to apathy to fellow cyclists in trouble. I happen to subscribe to Jane Jacob's thesis that walkable cities are safer. When I lived in NYC I felt way safer than in LA. Here when someone on the sidewalk gets in trouble, it's so easy to just drive by and let that moment pass (even if remorse takes over, try making a U-turn...).

Ti Designs
11-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Are you a babe? You're probably not a babe. I only stop for babes

A good looking girl stopped on the road is an instant fred-fest. I'll stop for anyone, but I really want no part in that.

makoti
11-08-2014, 10:59 AM
well, if they're having a problem...won't they let you know? I wouldn't hesitate to stop...but, jeez...so many people let their pride get in the way. Heck, do we need to be reminded of that gal that went on a anti-dude rant just because someone passed her going up hill saying 'almost to the top' and interpreting that as some misogynistic insult?

I think these two things are quite different. "Need any help"? or "You ok?" to someone sitting on the side of the road is just being thoughtful. I can't imagine anyone sitting there thikning "What a jerk! Doesn't think I can take care of myself!" I can, however see the other as both annoying & perhaps condescending IF you get them ALL THE TIME (which, as I recall, was the issue). In a few years, I expect the young whippersnappers riding on rides with me to offer such "encouragement" as the pass me. I plan to ride with toeclips, so I can get my foot out in time to kick them. ;)

Dead Man
11-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Screw the sour pusses. Remember that just because someone acts like you're an idiot for being a good person doesn't mean you're an idiot for being a good person- it just means they're having a bad moment (or life). Nothing to do with you.

SoCalSteve
11-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Lived in LA my whole life. Been a cyclist for the last 15. Been a pretty decent bike mechanic for the last 10. Been a cycling coach for the last 7.

I ALWAYS ask people with road bikes who are stopped along the side of the road. ALWAYS. And, for the most part, people ask me.

LA is not for everyone. Cycling in LA is pretty amazing. The same concept as you can surf and snow ski on the same day in So Cal applies to cycling. From Griffith Park, to the canyons in Malibu to the switchbacks in Palos Verdes...there is something for everyone.

Steve

Ken Robb
11-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Of course, its different if its someone I'm riding with or a cyclist I know, I'll pull over until they get back on the road.

Jeez, think of all the air you saved by not asking any more. :rolleyes:

callt5
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I always welcome and appreciate the "need help", "are you ok" gesture from a passing cyclist. I carry a pump and tubes in my car. Will stop if I can, to offer assistance. Have to say, on more than one occasion I have sensed annoyance from a cyclist on the side of the road.

Bit of a side note. In Aug I was climbing Ventoux. (slowly but steady). A cyclist in full kit, obviously very fit and younger that me tapped me on the shoulder on the way by and said good job, keep going. I didn't feel insulted at all. Thought it was a cool thing to do.

That said, I don't ride in LA.

rustychisel
11-08-2014, 03:40 PM

This.

Over here a massive increase in the popularity of cycling means a massive increase in dickhead numbers on bikes. It just is.

You can be grumpy or at least appreciate that at least they're on the bike (but really, you're right, they have all the right gear, a Spesh/Cippolini/Cannon/Trek factory produced piece of vanity, a knees out riding style from the comic books and all the attitude and not much of a clue).

shovelhd
11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I got right hooked on a group ride today by a car with a Cannondale Evo on the roof. It was on a 6% grade so no carnage but come on.

mvrider
11-09-2014, 02:49 PM
When I see riders by the side of the road, the question I've come to ask is, "do you have everything you need?" This is more empowering than, "do you need help?" Usually, the answer is "yes", and I just ride on.

But there was one instance in which I saw the rider from afar manage to blow up a tube. Sensing he needed more than the usual help, I made it a point to stop and insist that he take a spare tube. I told him to do the same for the next guy.

beeatnik
11-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Only in the communities which have 25,000 gang members...

Anyway, here's the deal: LA is fragmented. Fragmented by language, fragmented by geography (the Valley which is half the city is on the other side of a mountain range) fragmented by culture (half the white people here are from another place) and fragmented by the built environment (freeways and bad urban planning). Are people friendly and solicitous? Maybe not on the macro level. When it comes to coworkers, baristas, YMCA employees, the clergy, Trader Joe's cashiers - ya know, regular people - people are as kind and generous as anywhere else.

A few months ago, I saw an old dude standing over his bike on the sidewalk. It was a Saturday night, around 9:00pm. For some reason, it seemed to me that he had locked his bike to a light pole and the front wheel had been stolen. I figured I could help out and rode over. Turned out he had a flat and had been trying to install a tube for around 45 min. The sidewalk was strewn with old tubes, some tools, saddle bags and other assorted items one would take on a long ride. I quickly realized that this man had not done the best patch job in the low light and that he just wouldnt give up on his old tube. So, I offered a tube and installed it for him (dude just couldnt understand how he got a flat on Gatorskins). Just before I rode off he told me he had about 10 miles left and that would leave him at 160 for the day. That's when I noticed the Rando stickers on his Bruce Gordon. This cat must have been super bonked if he needed a guy like me to help him get home.

I bet Cinema would have thought the dude was a homeless person (he had a beard!).

Today on the MUP, a tri dork and his lady where blocking the path. They were both off their bikes and just standing around. I figured they had a mechanical and were helpless. I mean he was a Tri dork. As my buddy and I passed, we asked if they needed anything and tri dork goes, "no she's OK." Then on the way home we saw them again. He was about 10 bike lengths in front her. Cycling, bringing the family together!