PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro Alternatives?

veggieburger
11-07-2014, 10:59 AM
My cousin would like to get a camera for hunting and cycling, but doesn't want to shell out the big bucks for a Go Pro. I have heard good things about the Sony cameras, and Contour Roams. Anyone tried one of the cheaper alternatives?? Opinions?

Thanks again!

dave thompson
11-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Contour. Clean, neat, not bulky, easy to use.

kmla320
11-07-2014, 11:32 AM
i have a contour roam with gps i'll sell you

sitzmark
11-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Good experience with the Contour Roam2 and Contour+2 for cycling and other outside activities. Prefer form factor to GP. Mid-range $$ but very robust.

Looked like Contour was a dead duck for a while, but now moved to UT with renewed support/ownership and recently released the new Roam3. Hopefully will be able to remain competitive.

The Roams are just dead simple for most uses. Waterproof enough to use without special case for cycling, skiing, etc. Battery life will go 2.5-3 hours @720/30 depending on temps. Higher resolutions limit batt accordingly. Many OEM mount options. Standard camera mount also allows for GP, Sony, and other adapters/mounts. NEOpine and Garmin have harnesses that can be adapted for shoulder mounting with right hardware.

Using an (excellent) Womo Designs mount for cycling. Somewhat expensive, but rock solid and easy on/off of the camera - always aligned properly. Mostly use the Roam2 unless planning an extended ride and want to capture all mileage. For continuous operation over 2.5 hours, I'll use the Contour+2 so I can swap batts. C+2 requires planning for weather conditions accordingly - waterproof case or other. Easy enough to set up on-bike supplemental batt for Roam2 for continuous use if weather permits. Swap SD cards as needed for both cameras - 32gb largest.

Some solid gun/bow mounts for hunting, but no experience with them.

veggieburger
11-07-2014, 12:35 PM
i have a contour roam with gps i'll sell you

Message sent...

crownjewelwl
11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
the base model of the new hero 4 is only $129

also contour is bankrupt if you're worried about future support

sitzmark
11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
the base model of the new hero 4 is only $129

also contour is bankrupt if you're worried about future support

Shouldn't pass on false information. Company is not bankrupt. It was purchased earlier this year and relocated to Utah under the direction of sr. mgr who previously headed Apple's worldwide reseller channel and was Walmart VP for 5 years. Where the co. goes from here no one knows, but well experienced/funded people are behind it.

LJohnny
11-07-2014, 01:18 PM
During the past weeks there have been some Garmin VIRB at Amazon ranging from $90-160 depending on the stock/ inventory.
I missed the lowest priced wave, but purchased one at $130. Still a nice discount.

For anyone looking for an action camera, I'd keep an eye on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crownjewelwl
11-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Shouldn't pass on false information. Company is not bankrupt. It was purchased earlier this year and relocated to Utah under the direction of sr. mgr who previously headed Apple's worldwide reseller channel and was Walmart VP for 5 years. Where the co. goes from here no one knows, but well experienced/funded people are behind it.

it went bankrupt then purchased out of bankruptcy by some private equity firm...old models won't get support

old fat man
11-07-2014, 03:03 PM
it went bankrupt then purchased out of bankruptcy by some private equity firm...old models won't get support

are you basing that on the serotta model of restructuring?

sitzmark
11-07-2014, 03:04 PM

Depends on definition of "old". Models discontinued 2-3 years ago will be supported to the extent possible. Contour +2 and Roam2 are fully supported. Warranties are being honored based on purchase date - 1 year - regardless of when manufactured.

callt5
11-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Sony AS15. Picked one up this past summer. Great color. Stabilizer function works great. Reasonable price. Will probably buy another.

weisan
11-08-2014, 06:31 AM
http://www.dropzone.com/news/Gear/Best_Action_Camera_2014_-_Ultimate_POV_Camera_Shootout_1027.html

tmf
11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
http://www.dropzone.com/news/Gear/Best_Action_Camera_2014_-_Ultimate_POV_Camera_Shootout_1027.html

This picture from the camera shootout is great!

http://www.dropzone.com/articles/action-cam/action-cameras-mounted.jpg

Ti_on_Steel
11-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I've been looking at the Polaroid Cube. $99 and a pretty small outer diameter.

AustinHorse
11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Just received 2 of the Sony action cams with some extra bits too (wrist remote, head bike and other attachments...). Using them on a trip, will report back in 2 weeks

oldpotatoe
11-09-2014, 05:52 AM
This picture from the camera shootout is great!

http://www.dropzone.com/articles/action-cam/action-cameras-mounted.jpg

Yikes, when he landed, was his head still attached?

AustinHorse
11-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Just received 2 of the Sony action cams with some extra bits too (wrist remote, head bike and other attachments...). Using them on a trip, will report back in 2 weeks

Well first impressions of the attachments is that they are all kinda crappy. So now I've got an aftermarket k edge for gopro running a tripod adapter.