PDA

View Full Version : Park Tools Superpatch kit fix

r_mutt
11-06-2014, 09:14 PM
is this self adhesive sticker a 'permanent fix" or something to get you home with and then changed out for another tube?

what do you gents do?

Cat3roadracer
11-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Very reliable patches. Good as new tube.

Dead Man
11-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Leave 'em on... never even wondered if they might be temporary, but I guess I can see how they might seem like it

Great product. I don't even carry a spare tube anymore, unless I'm going really deep.

bjf
11-06-2014, 09:44 PM
I have never had any success with them at all.

Dead Man
11-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I have never had any success with them at all.

Well then, my friend, you have done something wrong. I've used dozens, and they've always worked great.

Louis
11-06-2014, 09:52 PM
If you're talking about these (top image) I don't use them unless I have to. They invariably leak, some the next day, some in a few months. I carry a spare tube, and swap it in for the bad one. I've never had two flats in one ride, but if I ever do the plan is to use the temporary patch to fix one of the two tubes, then when I get home swap that out for a third "virgin" tube.

IMO the only truly permanent patches are the ones that use vulcanizing fluid. (bottom style) Park also makes some of those. The problem with them is that even though you get a fair amount of fluid, what's left in the tube they give you after use #1 dries out soon after you puncture the seal, no matter how carefully you reseal it.

Edit: tubes are cheap. Flats are a hassle. I'm willing to spend the $ to use a new tube every time. Then again, I typically go one or two years between flats. (I know I shouldn't have said that, but I just did.)

http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/102-thickbox_default/super-patch-kit-gp-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg

http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes_jpg/o_rema_01_kit.jpg

Lewis Moon
11-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Well then, my friend, you have done something wrong. I've used dozens, and they've always worked great.

Only patches I carry. They work wonderfully.

xjoex
11-06-2014, 10:40 PM
They work like a champ, only thing to keep in mind if it is too far below freezing they do not adhere very well. Learned that the hard way!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BgO3fbsnoJE/UQXgs82bQ4I/AAAAAAAAKk4/AQ8HggtdCTM/s512/P1270460.jpg

-Joe

likebikes
11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
rema tip top patch kit or nothing.

Scuzzer
11-06-2014, 11:18 PM
They are by far the best glueless patches out there but with that being said I only carry them to fix other guys tubes. Like Louis said above they'll eventually leak (usually a few months) so I replace my own flats with a new tube and fix the punctured one back home with real patches.

Dead Man
11-06-2014, 11:46 PM
I haven't noticed any leaking...... ?

batman1425
11-07-2014, 08:24 AM
I've had mixed success. If the pinch is on a smooth section of the tube, they work fine. Where I've had trouble is if the pinch is near the seam in the tube. The material the patch is made of doesn't conform perfectly to the seam and over time I find that air can work along that space and eventually make a complete path to the perimeter of the patch. I go with the traditional adhesive based patches in those cases.

Dead Man
11-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I've had mixed success. If the pinch is on a smooth section of the tube, they work fine. Where I've had trouble is if the pinch is near the seam in the tube. The material the patch is made of doesn't conform perfectly to the seam and over time I find that air can work along that space and eventually make a complete path to the perimeter of the patch. I go with the traditional adhesive based patches in those cases.

Just gotta sand the seam off so it lies flat- that little piece of sandpaper they give you makes short work of it

professerr
11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
IMO the only truly permanent patches are the ones that use vulcanizing fluid. (bottom style) Park also makes some of those. The problem with them is that even though you get a fair amount of fluid, what's left in the tube they give you after use #1 dries out soon after you puncture the seal, no matter how carefully you reseal it.

I too prefer the old style patches that melt everything together. The way to keep the fluid from drying out in between flats is to squeeze the glue tube just enough after use to force all the air out and then cap it. I will last for years that way if you get it right.

cinema
11-07-2014, 11:11 AM
i used one about two months ago and it's still in there going strong. Haven't noticed any leaking. I lost the rest of them though :(

cinema
11-07-2014, 11:12 AM
i used one about two months ago and it's still in there going strong. probably around 500 miles on it. Haven't noticed any leaking. I lost the rest of them though :(

wallymann
11-07-2014, 11:20 AM
is this self adhesive sticker a 'permanent fix" or something to get you home with and then changed out for another tube?

if there is any dirt/moisture, as you'd get when flatting on a wet ride these things are junk. completely useless.

rema tip top patch kit or nothing.

this. i have tubes with >6 tip-top patches that have many thousands of miles in them. a vulcanization patch is the way to go -- permanent.

stephenb
11-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I too prefer the old style patches that melt everything together. The way to keep the fluid from drying out in between flats is to squeeze the glue tube just enough after use to force all the air out and then cap it. I will last for years that way if you get it right.

I'll give it a try if and when I have my next flat :bike:

Corso
11-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Those Park sticky patches have worked well to stop a leaking Camelback bladder.

Rema is best, but I always carry a couple Sticky’s too. You have room for both!