PDA

View Full Version : Fatter and slower (tires) for winter

FastforaSlowGuy
11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
It's November. Which means pretty soon it's going to be December. And we all know what that means: 4 months of wet roads, salt and grime.

My rear Veloflex is nearing replacement, and I've got a set of 28mm Ruffy Tuffy tires in the parts bin. I've heard the RT's run a bit sluggish, but maybe that doesn't matter too much, especially this time of year. So I'm thinking of making those my "winter tires" on my road bike. I'll miss the gorgeous suppleness of the Veloflex, which are damn close to tubies. But it seems silly to go out and buy a new one now.

MattTuck
11-06-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't do a lot of riding outside in the winter, but when I do, I have primarily one dimension on which I select tires. Flat protection. I do not want to be replacing a tube in temps below 30 degrees. Ride quality be damned.

thwart
11-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't do a lot of riding outside in the winter, but when I do, I have primarily one dimension on which I select tires. Flat protection. I do not want to be replacing a tube in temps below 30 degrees. Ride quality be damned.
Yep. Been there, done that.

Once your fingers go numb, you are… to put it gently, screwed.

Winter riding is to maintain fitness, not to set Strava KOM's… :rolleyes:

sandyrs
11-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Foolishly, I rode most of last winter on Masters. Neither tire lasted the whole season (both got sidewall cuts). Not recommended! I think the RTs are a good call.

buck-50
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Come November I replace my 25mm tires with 101mm tires. They aren't fast but they are fun.

rzthomas
11-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Winter is when I ride my MTB with knobbies out on the road (or trails, natch).

Love that I can work hard trying to sustain 14MPH, which would translate to 20-23MPH on the road bike with slicks. You stay warmer with less windchill.

As for winter tires for a road bike, a 'cross bike with tires featuring side tread action and a file tread center are pretty great. Wet leaves and icy patches are less of a worry then.

coffeecake
11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

I am terrified of this situation. Imagine you don't have anyone to pick you up... that could be very dangerous. With that in mind, any recommendations?

tele
11-06-2014, 01:37 PM
It's November. Which means pretty soon it's going to be December. And we all know what that means: 4 months of wet roads, salt and grime.

My rear Veloflex is nearing replacement, and I've got a set of 28mm Ruffy Tuffy tires in the parts bin. I've heard the RT's run a bit sluggish, but maybe that doesn't matter too much, especially this time of year. So I'm thinking of making those my "winter tires" on my road bike. I'll miss the gorgeous suppleness of the Veloflex, which are damn close to tubies. But it seems silly to go out and buy a new one now.

Been riding the Ruffys for more 2 years during the spring/fall here in Western New England and have no issues with flats etc...

I thought they ride slow, especially when I throw the Veloflex tubbies on, but in reality they are a little slower, couple mphs, depending on your wheels. I have come to see them as training/rough ride tires.

Likes2ridefar
11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I am terrified of this situation. Imagine you don't have anyone to pick you up... that could be very dangerous. With that in mind, any recommendations?

schwalbe marathon plus. just leave the tire kit at home...ive thousands (and thousands) of miles commuting through the NYC and never had a flat.

the studded version is really fun to ride in the snow and ice and trails.

p nut
11-06-2014, 02:12 PM
schwalbe marathon plus. just leave the tire kit at home...ive thousands (and thousands) of miles commuting through the NYC and never had a flat.

the studded version is really fun to ride in the snow and ice and trails.

100% agree. Marathon Plus with the blue flat protection strip should be more than adequate. Or the Marathon Plus Tour for more bite in rougher conditions.

mtechnica
11-06-2014, 02:33 PM
As someone that gets paid to ride my bike in the winter, I wouldn't accept anything less than gatorskins or maybe gp4seasons for a road bike because of their flat resistance and superior rubber compound for wet and cold weather. Anything else is a gamble IMO/IME. As far as cross sized tires in the winter, I only run studded nokians. I don't think tread helps in slick or wet conditions if we're talking bare pavement, even light snow at above freezing temps narrow sicks are better. If it's below freezing and dry then slicks are fine, otherwise just use studs or you're risking crashing on ice especially black ice you don't see.

tumbler
11-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Can get them in 700x28, but they do run a bit smaller than a typical 28c. Not the most supple tires ever, but a decent ride and very durable.

sg8357
11-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Carry a frame pump along with your CO2.

Note that Conti lists a mythical 32mm 4 Season tire, never have found one.
I'm putting Jack Browns 33.3333mm on for winter night rides, xtra pot hole
protection for the dark.

Admiral Ackbar
11-06-2014, 03:17 PM
resist nomad and panaracer gravelkings are my go-to, both in 28mm

for being wire bead and CHEAP the nomads are freakin outstanding. they ride better than folding tires with 4x the tpi and price.

zennmotion
11-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Better World (auto) Club gives you 2 emergency pickups a year on your bike if you add bicycle insurance to your road side service membership. Screw AAA and their anti-bike lobby efforts. Oh, and carry a flask of hot tea and honey in your jersey pocket, keeps your lower back warm, and tastes amazing at the halfway turnaround point in Winter.
http://www.betterworldclub.com/bicycles/bike_assistance.cfm

Zoodles
11-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Winter riding should also include a switch to SPDs. You can easily run to warm up or in a worst case scenario to get home.

As far as tires go I go wider, flat resistant and cheaper - no records are being set.

rwsaunders
11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Winter duty calls for Conti 32mm Gatoskins on one bike and 25mm 4 Seasons on the other. I don't do snow and ice but both of these tires have handled wet roads, salt, loose chips and Winter debris really well over the past several years.

thwart
11-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Carry a frame pump along with your CO2.

It's not about back-up inflation tools, it's about numb and useless hands...

Uncle Jam's Army
11-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Vittoria Open Pave 27's not getting any love?

Ti Designs
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Much below 20 degrees and CO2 doesn't really work. I found that out the hard way, without the tire being warm enough to return the CO2 to a gas, the tube can freeze and shatter. It took me a few seconds to realize what I was looking at as my spare tube came out in shards...

As for winter tires, I run Nokian A10's. They are big (by road standards), studded and fast-proof. They also sound like a small dog running on a wood floor, and while cornering steel man hole covers are to be avoided at all cost.

coffeecake
11-07-2014, 07:36 AM
It's not about back-up inflation tools, it's about numb and useless hands...

That is what I am worried about. I will pick up some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and ride close to home. Sometimes I think about riding the rim home if I do get a flat. Don't want to stop riding when it's ~30 F. (Or I could just start riding the trainer.... but... ugh.)

FastforaSlowGuy
11-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Good stuff. I've got the Ruffy Tuffy set in my parts box, so I'll go with those. The roads are still fine, so I'll hold off making the switch for a few more weeks. I will also appreciate the extra pothole insurance I get. I swear that some of the towns around here have just thrown up their arms and said "to hell with it, we're done fixing potholes!"

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 08:09 AM
That is what I am worried about. I will pick up some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and ride close to home. Sometimes I think about riding the rim home if I do get a flat. Don't want to stop riding when it's ~30 F. (Or I could just start riding the trainer.... but... ugh.)

ride as far away as you want, unless you pull out a chainsaw and start hacking away at the tire you won't get a flat.

chiasticon
11-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Can get them in 700x28, but they do run a bit smaller than a typical 28c. Not the most supple tires ever, but a decent ride and very durable.
i've had good luck with these for the past few winters, in 25mm. i usually run them from fall until spring, actually. i've ridden a good bit of gravel with them too and no major issues. think i've flatted them three times in about 10k miles. i have friends that swear by their 25 and 28mm gatorskins, but i'm convinced it's just so that they can complain about the weight/rolling resistance and how they're working harder than me :rolleyes:

i've flatted in sub-freezing temps before. obviously it sucks, but not much worse than flatting any other time. (in fact, flatting in 90+ heat, with lots of humidity with no shade around is almost worse in my mind, just not as dangerous.) just keep calm and you'll be moving soon enough. in my winter experience, what sucks worse than the flat is either no where safe to change it or the inability to see what you're doing. a helmet light, even a minimal one, is great in these situations.

bobswire
11-07-2014, 08:44 AM
You guys have all the fun, after all variety is the spice of life . Here, out west (at least at sea level) we are stuck doing the same ole with the same tires year round. ;)

thwart
11-07-2014, 08:50 AM
You guys have all the fun, after all variety is the spice of life . Here, out west (at least at sea level) we are stuck doing the same ole with the same tires year round. ;)
Bob, I hope your tongue comes right thru your cheek. ;)

bobswire
11-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Bob, I hope your tongue comes right thru your cheek. ;)

Actually I thought these two thread were one,since they make more sense combined.
Grant's new book "Eat Bacon Don't Jog Fatter and Slower for (tires) Winter".

Took this photo yesterday on my ride and stopped after see all those duck all in line grooming. Weather here has been unusually warm,high 60s low 70s.

http://i57.tinypic.com/14jrthi.jpg