PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Wahoo Kickr and Apple

dekindy
11-06-2014, 08:17 AM
I have a Windows PC and have been using TrainerRoad previously with a KK Fluid and am now using the Wahoo Kickr. I would like to get an iPad so that I can also use Kinomap. Will also use it with TrainerRoad so that I only need one computer for the Kickr. TrainerRoad has submitted their iPod/iPad app and it should be available in a couple of weeks and is free to current subscribers.

So what do I need to know about Apple before purchasing? What else might I use the iPad for since I am a PC user? I might use it to surf the internet since it appears to operate under battery for quite awhile.

I am hoping that the cheapest iPad model will be adequate or an iPad mini(need to confirm the mini with TrainerRoad) because I am not sure what else I might use the iPad for except to surf the Internet.

makoti
11-06-2014, 08:29 AM
You have a pc. Have you considered PerfPro? Much like TR, but one time fee vs monthly. Works with PC's, but not mac's. I use it with my Kickr (also used it with my KK) & love it. Works great with my laptop with a ANT+ dongle. Just an idea if you're getting the ipad just for this reason. Save some cash.

dekindy
11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
You have a pc. Have you considered PerfPro? Much like TR, but one time fee vs monthly. Works with PC's, but not mac's. I use it with my Kickr (also used it with my KK) & love it. Works great with my laptop with a ANT+ dongle. Just an idea if you're getting the ipad just for this reason. Save some cash.

May need to make it clear but getting the Apple is to use Kinomap, not TrainerRoad, but thanks.

ceolwulf
11-06-2014, 09:10 AM
The differences in iPad models is only the storage capacity and whether or not it has a cellular modem so the cheapest one will be fine.

I use mine for a lot more than I bought it for (which was basically to read manga). It's much better for reading than any computer. Not just books but web articles saved with Instapaper or similar. There's lots of games available if you like that. Lots of educational apps, I like Duolingo for example, and some things like Skritter (learning Japanese characters via stroke recognition) are much better on a tablet than any other platform. Great for relaxing with a video as well, of course, YouTube or Vimeo or stream from your computer with AirVideo. Basically, just about anything you'd use a computer for but not do a lot of typing is better on a tablet. (And of course you can connect a keyboard too if you want. Great for distraction free writing.) Quite a few days I don't open my laptop at all.

Spdntrxi
11-06-2014, 09:39 AM
The iPad segments app is always good fun. No time to explain it.. Read up on it.

dekindy
11-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would this also be true for the iPad Mini?The differences in iPad models is only the storage capacity and whether or not it has a cellular modem so the cheapest one will be fine.

I use mine for a lot more than I bought it for (which was basically to read manga). It's much better for reading than any computer. Not just books but web articles saved with Instapaper or similar. There's lots of games available if you like that. Lots of educational apps, I like Duolingo for example, and some things like Skritter (learning Japanese characters via stroke recognition) are much better on a tablet than any other platform. Great for relaxing with a video as well, of course, YouTube or Vimeo or stream from your computer with AirVideo. Basically, just about anything you'd use a computer for but not do a lot of typing is better on a tablet. (And of course you can connect a keyboard too if you want. Great for distraction free writing.) Quite a few days I don't open my laptop at all.

dekindy
11-06-2014, 12:36 PM
The iPad segments app is always good fun. No time to explain it.. Read up on it.

Got it, thanks. Was aware of it but may have not remembered it when I get around to implementing Apple!

ceolwulf
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would this also be true for the iPad Mini?

It's the same just smaller. All the same apps will run.

dekindy
11-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Just to verify, should I consider the A7 or is the A5 chip adequate? Both 64-bit?

Looks like I could get a refurbished iPad Mini with 16GB and WiFi for $209.

Spdntrxi
11-22-2014, 11:19 PM
A5 is adequate ...

11-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Rumor is that Apple will be discontinuing the iPad mini. They launched it, then made the decision to do the iPhone Plus, and they are focusing software development and marketing on the iPhone Plus and on the forthcoming iPad models. Apple has cut the mini out of their development plans and so advised key developers.

As for chip, you can get an A6 iPad cheaply. There is a tremendous increase in power between each of the recent generations of A series chips. Newer training emulation applications are increasingly demanding the power available in the newer chips. You may want Kinomap right now but in a year there will be a couple amazing new apps on the market, both with more in physiology sensors and with virtual reality capabilities. And the ability to analyze your workouts is unprecedented. So I'd suggest you go for a basic A6 iPad. You don't need cellular and you don't need a lot of storage just for cycling training apps.

Get a subscription to Amazon Prime and you have hundreds or thousands of movies available for free streaming. So your iPad has loads of entertainment as well if you are so inclined and if your cable set top box isn't already WiFi enabled.

Otherwise, definitely the Kickr is becoming the default standard for software development. It's in everybody's plans and all the indirect power measurement systems (like Kurt's) and all the interface software are being measured up to the state of the art on the Kickr. Wahoo did a beautiful job of bringing in the whole market to support their product unreservedly. Even Shimano is making their wireless capability seamless with Kickr, so you can create one integrated file with gearing, cadence, and speed delivered by Shimano. And both Shimano and GoPro videos can soon be integrated into training videos so you can re-live a race (or experience someone else's race) as you train -- so you can basically run a race on your Kickr. All this does require extra video power, and even if the A5 chip provides basic processing, it doesn't have the onboard video capacity that the A6 and later have.

dekindy
11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
I have not seen the A6 on any of the models that I have reviewed so will be on the lookout or will go with the A7.