PDA

View Full Version : Talk of a non-bicycle classified section?

veggieburger
11-06-2014, 08:06 AM
I seem to recall discussion about a classified section where we could sell non-cycling items. I guess nothing happened with that? I have a bunch of sporty items: boots, backpacks, etc etc, stuff that isn't cycling-specific, but kind of fits the lifestyle. I *hate* ebay with all of my heart, so I guess I'll hawk it on craigslist if it can't be offered here...

SpeedyChix
11-06-2014, 08:11 AM
It would be nice to have a sports-related sub forum. Have a crossbow that I'd like to sell but really do not enjoy dealing with ebay. Once their newest policy change goes into effect I won't use it to sell.

pbarry
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
It would be nice to have a sports-related sub forum. Have a crossbow that I'd like to sell but really do not enjoy dealing with ebay. Once their newest policy change goes into effect I won't use it to sell.

Please tell me more.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-06-2014, 08:25 AM
What change is that? Sorry, trying to peruse their "agreement changes" is like getting root canal with no anesthesia.

AngryScientist
11-06-2014, 08:25 AM
we have discussed this before, and i am personally against the idea. we want to keep this place a community of cyclists first and foremost. if we open the forum up to non-cycling related classifieds, it will encourage more people to join just to move "stuff", and that's not what i want to see happen here.

veggieburger
11-06-2014, 08:32 AM
we have discussed this before, and i am personally against the idea. we want to keep this place a community of cyclists first and foremost. if we open the forum up to non-cycling related classifieds, it will encourage more people to join just to move "stuff", and that's not what i want to see happen here.

I totally get that. I wish there were another site identical to the paceline forum, same members, for different interests. Ah well.

lovethesport
11-06-2014, 08:32 AM

I agree

nighthawk
11-06-2014, 08:34 AM

That seems like sound reasoning to me.

Speedychix, I think you should post up a classified ad with some bike stuff... and just slip the cross bow in there between a couple of used cassettes.
Or how about adding "does not include handlebar mount". Problem solved.

tumbler
11-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Once their newest policy change goes into effect I won't use it to sell.

What change is that? I avoid them almost entirely, unless I have something really obscure that I can't sell or give away on Craigslist. Wondering how they can get much worse than their current 10% cut for letting you place an ad on their horrible website and providing next to nothing in terms of service. It's surprising with all the tech 2.0 startups that no one has put them out of business.

avalonracing
11-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Make the product you want to sell cycling related. For example:

"Sweet 1"x 3" Rock Shox sticker, lightly used condition, currently applied to crossbow. Will ship sticker in big box for $500. CONUS."

seanile
11-06-2014, 09:13 AM
maybeee keep the min. post count to sell bike stuff in the bike classifieds the same as it is, but then jack up the min. post count for non-bike stuff to borderline unreasonably high so randoms can't access it without making an effort to not spam (read: get banned) to hit the minimum?

disclosure: i have a couple nice lightly used dress shoes i'd like to unload and was thinking about asking this same question for this forum

93legendti
11-06-2014, 09:17 AM
maybeee keep the min. post count to sell bike stuff in the bike classifieds the same as it is, but then jack up the min. post count for non-bike stuff to borderline unreasonably high so randoms can't access it without making an effort to not spam (read: get banned) to hit the minimum?

disclosure: i have a couple nice lightly used dress shoes i'd like to unload and was thinking about asking this same question for this forum

Agreed...ie 1000 post minimum and/or 5 yr membership for non bike stuff classified posting threads?

josephr
11-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Speedychix, I think you should post up a classified ad with some bike stuff... and just slip the cross bow in there between a couple of used cassettes.

Exactly! Go ahead and put a Giro helmet sticker on it too and then spray with clearcoat and make it look factory....just say "this is not a for sale listing of a crossbow."....heck, or could say "will trade crossbow for bike parts."

Seriously -- there's a lot of facebook pages for sale pages, craigslist, stevebay, and others....as much as I'd like to have a non-bike classified section, I think there's something said to keeping it limited.
Joe

thegunner
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Agreed...ie 1000 post minimum and/or 5 yr membership for non bike stuff classified posting threads?

harsh.

oh wait.

makoti
11-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I would vote for that. I don't give enough of my money to you guys. ;)

Nooch
11-06-2014, 10:13 AM

But just think about all the watches we could sell too!!!!

seanile
11-06-2014, 10:27 AM
...5 yr membership for non bike stuff classified posting threads?
vsalon and bikeforums charge a membership to post FS threads, could be a good strategy for the non-bike goods. i'd be into that.

firerescuefin
11-06-2014, 10:30 AM
vsalon and bikeforums charge a membership to post FS threads, could be a good strategy for the non-bike goods. i'd be into that.

I think Adam has a very good idea. Make the hurdle high. I much rather buy other stuff from forum members and I know they've got some cools stuff.

That said, if it adds to the work load of mods to manage it, then I get your point Nick.

veggieburger
11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I think Adam has a very good idea. Make the hurdle high. I much rather buy other stuff from forum members and I know they've got some cools stuff.

That said, if it adds to the work load of mods to manage it, then I get your point Nick.

Same! This might be a good way to put some $$ in the paceline coffers? Even if it was somehow be password protected, so those in the outside world couldn't peek their heads in..?

merlinmurph
11-06-2014, 10:47 AM

I'm good with this.
KISS.
And no on the membership status to sell stuff. Again, KISS.
Plenty of other places to sell stuff.
Remember, people volunteer to run this place.

SpeedyChix
11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Please tell me more.
What change is that? Sorry, trying to peruse their "agreement changes" is like getting root canal with no anesthesia.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

eBay more and more is siding with the buyer leaving the seller little recourse with bad buyers.

: ) It could be a combo with that Zanc winter jacket in the bonus package.

kramnnim
11-06-2014, 11:00 AM
There are other places to sell stuff, yes. But the forum has brought many of us together as friends, and while I'm not especially keen on giving away non cycling related items to random people on CL, I'd happily pass along stuff to a fellow forumite...

Would it be possible to have some sort of offshoot that is approved by the forum staff, but doesn't create extra work for them?

professerr
11-06-2014, 11:43 AM

I agree. This site has a good balance of who it appeals to. Broadening the classifieds will change that mix. That might not be a good thing

Louis
11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd stick with cycling stuff only, unless we think the forum is getting stale and want to broaden our horizons a bit (I'm not saying it is, just being open to thoughts from other folks). In that case, we might consider opening up to other exercise-related stuff in the classifieds. I'm not sure what that would mean, but listing for things like running or trekking shoes that just don't fit probably wouldn't have a massive impact on the type of traffic we get in the Classified section or on the vibe of forum.

54ny77
11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a jobs subforum. Might be few & far between though.

(Shameless plug: if someone's looking for holiday season part-time retail work in Greenwich, CT, PM me!)

kramnnim
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
I guess it could easily become a yard sale of grandma's attic crap...though Slowtwitch doesn't have specific rules, and it's almost all tri related, with a smattering of dress clothes and iphones.

RonW87
11-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I like the idea of being able to sell non-cycling related stuff here, but only open it to those with large post-count (let's say, oohh, 448 ;)), long history here.

thwart
11-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Much as I'd like to be able to sell some stuff I have lying around, I have to agree with Nick's view on this.

This is a cycling forum, with volunteer moderators, currently working well… so don't mess with it.

zzy
11-06-2014, 01:50 PM
If I can piggyback on this, I would REALLY like to see a separate WTB/Wanted forum. Some members frequently post - and bump - obscure/specific wanted ads which weighs down active selling listings. Many places do this, and the posts are autolocked so all communication is via PM.

Cat3roadracer
11-06-2014, 02:42 PM

And golf clubs!

gasman
11-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm against it. We already have a very robust classified section and adding more items for sale will just point us away from being a bike-centric forum. It will also increase the mods time commitment trying to watch for inappropriate items.

Steve in SLO
11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

fuzzalow
11-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Agree. If non-cycling classifieds were to happen here it would change the timbre of this place immensely. "There goes the neighborhood".

The success of the existing classifieds already occasionally brings in a somewhat manic, crystal-meth focused type hell bent on scoring a deal or getting clued into what stuff is worth. They bring nothing to the table other than self-interest, posting drivel to jack their post count up to get entry to the promised land. Or so they think.

pdmtong
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Agree. If non-cycling classifieds were to happen here it would change the timbre of this place immensely. "There goes the neighborhood".

The success of the existing classifieds already occasionally brings in a somewhat manic, crystal-meth focused type hell bent on scoring a deal or getting clued into what stuff is worth. They bring nothing to the table other than self-interest, posting drivel to jack their post count up to get entry to the promised land. Or so they think.

+1

the idea of expansion is nice in the idyllic world where we really are a close community of passionate contributing folks - as in contributing across posting, buying and selling.
But that's a dream world not the real world.

the bike classifieds have created enough angst in folks..but we end up self-policing for better or worse. open the door to non-bike and you'll get non-bike folks..no thanks.

Keith A
11-06-2014, 05:59 PM
+1

the idea of expansion is nice in the idyllic world where we really are a close community of passionate contributing folks - as in contributing across posting, buying and selling.

the bike classifieds have created enough angst in folks..but we end up self-policing for better or worse. open the door to non-bike and you'll get non-bike folks..no thanks.Nicely stated...and I completely agree.

pbarry
11-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Already been done here, and I had no problem with that.

Crossbows, watches, vintage Leica gear, would all fit in. :beer:

dustyrider
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Is there a way google docs. could work for this type of application?
Certainly permissions could be customized to match sensitivities...
Kinda like the spoke trading spreadsheet someone cooked up. As a community we'd "know" where to go, but the hordes at the gate wouldn't.
I'm not volunteering mind you. Just thinking out loud.

Don49
11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Would there be a "Personals" section for lonely cyclists?

Louis
11-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Would there be a "Personals" section for lonely cyclists?

You have to go to the BMX forum for that. Here we're strictly roadies...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3ke8bCg1kikm2Fitw7wPNETg97uD_H tjLJRmiCz4oKZ-2piqZ

Jason E
11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm against.

I'd be for a frameset and bike vs parts forum, a little specialization so things dont get pushed down so quickly, but non-cycling is opening the box.

avalonracing
11-06-2014, 08:26 PM
WTB, black Deda bar tape... You can wrap it around a nice Oris watch to ship.

shovelhd
11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Already been done here, and I had no problem with that.

Crossbows, watches, vintage Leica gear, would all fit in. :beer:

Reminds me to sell my vintage Leica gear.

Steve in SLO
11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm against.

I'd be for a frameset and bike vs parts forum, a little specialization so things dont get pushed down so quickly, but non-cycling is opening the box.
You mean like separate Campy, Shimano and broken SRAM subforums?

I apologize to all SRAMophiles, but feeling a bit snarky tonight.

WNCRider
11-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm against.

Agree totally.

ntb1001
11-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Reminds me to sell my vintage Leica gear.

And I got a lot of Hassleblad stuff I could move...;)

BumbleBeeDave
11-07-2014, 05:51 AM
. . . and I remain against the idea for this and several other reasons. Dealing with the classifieds as they are now takes a lot of time and effort from mods. Keith reports he gets at least one email a day from people not being able to post--because they didn't read the clearly stated rules and don't have enough posts. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Additional classifieds would increase work for mods and not offer any service that's not offered MANY other places online.

BBD

+1

the bike classifieds have created enough angst in folks..but we end up self-policing for better or worse. open the door to non-bike and you'll get non-bike folks..no thanks.

unterhausen
11-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I posted this somewhere on here before, but if you search for the paceline on google and get ranked results, the classifieds come up first. I find this somewhat problematic, and I don't think it's a good idea to expand.