PDA

View Full Version : Another Wheelbuilding Question/s

Javaman
11-06-2014, 02:02 AM
So finally decided that I will do it and build my own wheel (front wheel only). Been wanting to do it for a long time but too worried that I will mess it up. So, I think I have all the basic tools I need; truing stand, spoke wrench and nipple screwdriver. Am I missing something? Also, I want to make sure I order the correct spoke length. I am using a used Chris King R45 front hub (figure if I'm building my own wheel might as well build a nice wheel;)) and Mavic OP, 32h. I used the UBI spoke length calculator and was told to order 294.8mm spoke length.
For those who has experience building R45s and Mavic OPs; is that the correct length? Just want to make sure so soliciting advise here.
Thanks all!

marciero
11-06-2014, 04:39 AM
Good for you. As you doubtless know, There are several online tools for calculating, as well as apps and downloadable excel spreadsheets. I have not used UBI but Im sure someone will chime in.
I've used the one on Wheelbuilder.com (or ProWheelbuilder.com-I forget). Might be a good idea to try a couple of these and see if they agree, and also round up-this was advice of Peter White.
On one wheel I built the DS spokes were coming out a little short, with one or two threads showing. I think I used an app to calculate those. So I un-laced and ordered longer spokes. That cost me like $25 and some time, but was well worth it to do it right. I would bet some LBS's would have just called it good.

Also, before this thread turns into a debate on lube/thread lock/no lube, let me weigh in early and say that I swear by anti-sieze!

oldpotatoe
11-06-2014, 06:20 AM
So finally decided that I will do it and build my own wheel (front wheel only). Been wanting to do it for a long time but too worried that I will mess it up. So, I think I have all the basic tools I need; truing stand, spoke wrench and nipple screwdriver. Am I missing something? Also, I want to make sure I order the correct spoke length. I am using a used Chris King R45 front hub (figure if I'm building my own wheel might as well build a nice wheel;)) and Mavic OP, 32h. I used the UBI spoke length calculator and was told to order 294.8mm spoke length.
For those who has experience building R45s and Mavic OPs; is that the correct length? Just want to make sure so soliciting advise here.
Thanks all!

Yep, get the same number on DT spoc calc..get 295...I use Mobil One between the nipple and the rim, boiled lindseed oil for the spoke threads..applied in wee bottles with dripper nozzles..build slow and have fun..how most of old fart wheelbuilders started, with one of our own wheels.

AND brass nipps..

Figure out a way or have a LBS check spoke tension.

Lewis Moon
11-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Yep, round up. I also got caught a couple of threads short using an online calculator, but I took a different route: I ordered longer nipples.

I learned to build with just a spoke wrench. I still build my wheels on the bike, then use a dish tool. One little tool I really like is a cut off spoke: thread the nipple onto the improvised tool upside down to make it easier to get the nipple into the hole on aero(ish) rims. I HATE losing a nip inside a rim. I've never used BLO but I might on my next sets of wheels, on the back non-drive side. Otherwise, IMHO, tension should be enough to keep the nips from loosening. I really hate getting a little wobble and having the nipple round off because it's glued and won't turn.

Gummee
11-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Building wheels isn't rocket science. If *I* can learn, anyone can.

I've built 4 wheels within the last month so its coming back... Got another few pairs to build here 'soon.' Going 11sp has been hard on my wallet. :nod

Stick with 32/32 3x wheels for a bit till you get comfortable with em.

Good luck!

M

Tony T
11-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Brass or Alloy nipples? :)

krismac23
11-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Get a tensionmeter, Aim for 95-100kgf on the DS for rear or both side's for the front before tube and tire. Take your time. Try and keep the tension evenly distributed between spokes. It's all in the prep work for an easier wheel build. Make sure everything is sorted. Things that are lubed need to be lubed. And you have ample time on your first set. It takes time on your first try.

classtimesailer
11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Where will the OP get 295s? I would like 301s (my measurements and online calculator say 300.7) but can only find 300 and 302.

Lewis Moon
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Where will the OP get 295s? I would like 301s (my measurements and online calculator say 300.7) but can only find 300 and 302.

Sapim lasers come in odd sizes.

Javaman
11-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks all! Searching online and yup, most spoke lengths are even sizes. So 296 will work?

bjf
11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Back in the day (I'm 67 now) I built all of my own wheels; never had any problem with them going out of true. But I think now I would get a spoke tension meter in addition to the tools you have.

oldpotatoe
11-07-2014, 05:57 AM

I get 'em at yee olde bike shop. Yes, most bike shops can't speel 'wheel build' anymore but some do..and keep every MM in stock, like a good bike shop....should.

yeeegads, spoke makers make these things in every MM from shortys of 240s to 310+...'online' availability does NOT the bike biz make...AND a decent bike shop will cut and thread spokes also...yikes, the bike biz has gone to hell...

Vecchios.com

oldpotatoe
11-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks all! Searching online and yup, most spoke lengths are even sizes. So 296 will work?

If ya gotta get 'online', get 294, then 14mm or 16mm nipps..oh, gee..they don't have those either, 'online'? What a surprise.

Davist
11-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Our local shop had a spoke cutter/threader and "blanks" from Phil Wood, I think Phil still offers this service and the tool..

As OP said, this was more available in the past prior to the ubiquitous "wheel system" proprietary aluminum mavic spoke era (at least around here, grr)..

I built my own wheels, 1st time in 20 years this spring, no worries.

Javaman
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
If ya gotta get 'online', get 294, then 14mm or 16mm nipps..oh, gee..they don't have those either, 'online'? What a surprise.

:) That's case, I will go to my LBS eventhough it will be a bit expensive (I'm in Japan).

etu
11-08-2014, 05:11 PM
as a fellow beginner wheel builder (on my 5th set now), next to a good truing stand, the park tool tensiometer was invaluable. takes the guesswork out of what is generally agreed to be a critical part of a good wheel - evenly tensioned spokes. asking a beginner to use "feel" or "tone" is not great advice. also checking the tension at various times helped me understand the building process better.

R3awak3n
11-08-2014, 05:55 PM
as a fellow beginner wheel builder (on my 5th set now), next to a good truing stand, the park tool tensiometer was invaluable. takes the guesswork out of what is generally agreed to be a critical part of a good wheel - evenly tensioned spokes. asking a beginner to use "feel" or "tone" is not great advice. also checking the tension at various times helped me understand the building process better.

100% agreed.

Decided to skip the cheap stands and go straight for the park and its excellent.
Also believe the tension meter is essential. I is also pretty cheap and might not be as accurate as a $400 meter but it will at least let you know if the wheel is evenly tensioned which is something you want if you want to keep your wheel true for many miles.

gdw
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
"If ya gotta get 'online', get 294, then 14mm or 16mm nipps..oh, gee..they don't have those either, 'online'? What a surprise."

Really, I thought Danscomp included 16mm nipples with their Sapim spokes.... brass ones too.:banana:

oldpotatoe
11-09-2014, 05:37 AM

An experienced wheelbuilder shouldn't use "feel" or "tone" either. Truing stand, good spoke wrench, dish tool, tension meter..basic tools needed, IMHO.

Patience.

oldpotatoe
11-09-2014, 05:39 AM
"If ya gotta get 'online', get 294, then 14mm or 16mm nipps..oh, gee..they don't have those either, 'online'? What a surprise."

Really, I thought Danscomp included 16mm nipples with their Sapim spokes.... brass ones too.:banana:

Why 16mm as standard? 12mm for proper length spokes work fine. Does Danscomp have all length of spokes, 1mm increments?

buldogge
11-09-2014, 08:07 AM
All lengths in 1mm…and I believe they send 14mm nipples…FWIW.

I only wish they had CX Rays and straight pull Laser/Race...

-Mark in St. Louis

Why 16mm as standard? 12mm for proper length spokes work fine. Does Danscomp have all length of spokes, 1mm increments?