PDA

View Full Version : shimano vs. campy

athekap
03-19-2006, 08:53 PM
My next decision on new Ottrott: shimano or campy. A lifelong Dura Ace user, I am considering a switch. All thoughts/comments welcome.

rnhood
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
The current Dura-Ace is top notch and, a pure pleasure to use. You now know my vote.

Sandy
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh no!!!

Serotta Sandy

ludedude
03-19-2006, 09:04 PM
That's what I have been thinking.... 165mm Dura Ace crankset/BB with the rest being Campy (Campy doens't make 165 cranks).

Larry
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Both are fine choices.
The difference is..........Campy gets better and better as you ride it and break it in........it gets better and better like a fine wine.
Shimano is very good when you first start riding it, but that feeling does not last over the long haul.
So......you need a couple weeks to get the feel of Campagnolo. Then its simplistic brilliance shows up.
Shimano just does not have that really sweet feel......cranks, bottom bracket, etc.
Important factor when you choose......Which brake hoods feel more comfortable when you are riding on the hoods?
And....which shifting motion of the right hand feels most natural as you click through the gears?

I vote Campy with clean, Italian tradition and reliability.

vandeda
03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Find someone with a similar size bike equipped with Campy, or maybe your LBS, maybe the one where you bought your Ottrott. Then try it out. If you like it more than your Dura Ace, then go for it. I've used both, and I preferred Campy. So I went with Campy. The Dura Ace is just as good imho, I just preferred the Campy.

If you can't find someone who has Campy, hey, why switch if you've enjoyed Dura Ace up until now? It's all personal preference anyway as they're both great parts ... you'll find some say Shimano, while others will say Campy. They'll all give good reasons why, but it'll likely turn into a flame war in the end.

Dan

mwos
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Campy, with a Specialities TA 165 mm crankset. That's what I use.

My LBS is trying to convince me that I should switch to Shimano for the short reach levers. But, the hoods feel so uncomfortable to me, I have small hands.

So, do I get Shimano for short reach levers or Campy for comfort over the hoods?

Kathi

Random
03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I find these discussions absurd, but have to weigh in to counter Larry on this. I have been riding the same DA 9 setup since 1999 for 55K miles. I have traded out the cranks recently (FSA SLK Compact) but otherwise ride DA throughout, even the wheels. I switched over from Campy reluctantly because of the feel of the DA shifters. The urban legends about DA are simply wrong. They last if maintained, they do get "sweet" (I recently replaced my cable housings and cables and everytime I shift I smile) and they are reliable. The biases people have about the products are fine, I have mine as well. But let's not pretend one is better than the other. If you like the shifters on one, you won't like the shifters on the other. Choose by the ergonomics, not rumors. I recently outfitted a new all carbon bike and used DA 10. Works great.

mwos
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
My LBS thinks I should get Ultrega, but I'm not convinced. That is the only reason this is an issue for me. I ride with Campy 02 Record but can't reach the brakes from the drops. Shimano hoods are so wide that I can't grip the brakes well from the hoods, plus shifting is harder because my fingers are so short.

So which do I go for? Short reach levers for braking on long mtn passes or comfortable hoods.

I'm also exploring some handlebars which may help.

Argos
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Absurd thread.

Oh well.

I have and love both. I used to ride exclusively Shimano, thought I'd hate the Campy. I love them both, they both are top-notch. Put all the BS about one being art and one being a tool aside and go with what you like.

If you've never ridden Campy, and getting does not mean swapping over every little thing elsewhere in your collection (other wheelsets, etc...) then do it. You CAN'T be unhappy with either choice.

vandeda
03-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Absurd thread.

You CAN'T be unhappy with either choice.

x2

dan

Fixed
03-19-2006, 09:46 PM
bro they are both great .but one gets in the 11 better i.m.h.o. cheers

Litespeeder
03-19-2006, 09:55 PM
In many cases it just comes down to ergonomics. But the new DA10 is really something special. It's really in a different league and the outboard crankset bearings stiffen up the BB. DA9 and Record were comparable and the choice usually came down to feel and ergonomics. But DA10 is the smoothest and most efficient system available.

What I don't like about Campy is the shifting. IMO, the thumb shifting is a bad idea but there is also this clunking noise as the chain is shifted to the adjacent gear. With DA10, the chain glides over the cog to the target gear. With DA10, I can be mashing out of the saddle going 25 mph and shift effortlessly without any clunking. I have never had that experience with Record.

Both systems are going to do what you want them to do. You will most likely be happy with either. I would just ask you to try the DA10 before you make your decision. I think that the answer will become clear to you after you put DA10 through the test.

andy mac
03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
3rd time...

from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php...mar06/mar20news
Boonen also explained that a small mechanical in the final sprint prevented him from obtaining a higher placing, possibly outsprinting Alessandro Petacchi. "I couldn't get the chain on the 11," he recalled, speaking of the moment when he was on Petacchi's wheel in the last few hundred metres of the Via Roma. "It's the third time this has happened this year. But for me it was better that Pozzato won. I could sense that Milram was losing, as the panic was so great that Zabel went to the front 1500 metres from the finish and drove himself right out of it."

:beer:

sg8357
03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh no!!!

Serotta Sandy
Poor fellow doesn't know enough to ask for Simplex and TA or his local
stockist doesn't have any Nivex.

Scott G.

FierteTi52
03-19-2006, 10:58 PM
shimano or campy. A lifelong Dura Ace user, I am considering a switch.
If you are a life long D/A user, why are you considering switching now? Have you tried the 10spd D/A yet? There is a huge difference compared to the 9spd.
Jeff

SoCalSteve
03-19-2006, 11:20 PM
is truly amazing!

So much better than the 9 speed stuff....from shifting to brakes. All around superior to the 7700 line.

You will love it!

Steve

William
03-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Only one question:

Do you have big or little hands?

William ;)

Ray
03-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I don't agree with the poster who said that if you like one, you won't like the other. I've used both and love both equally. Different shaped hoods, different shift movements. Both work pretty flawlessly. Both are comfortable for my hands. I've ultimately stayed with Shimano 9 speed because you can mix road and mountain components and because I like all of my wheels to be compatible with all of my bikes. Although one of them has Campy 10-spd shifters with the cable wrapped around the derailure pinch bolt to work with Shimano 9 spacing. I find that Campy shifters work better with triples with non-standard chainrings. If you stick to the specified stuff, both work fine with triples too.

Unless you just find one hood shape uncomfortable, you really can't go wrong.

-Ray

catulle
03-20-2006, 06:40 AM
I only know Campagnolo, and have never used Shimano. However, it wouldn´t occur to me to say that one is better than the other. If you have more than one bicycle, though, it might be practical to stick to one manufacturer and avoid some redundancies. I find the Shimano brake hoods butt ugly, though; but that's just my own particular and meaningless preference. Not that present day Campagnolo brake hoods are much better looking than Shimano.

On the other hand, you just might want to have a bicycle set up with Campagnolo for the sake of becoming acquainted with the Italian product. Why not? I use Campagnolo because I started riding many decades before Shimano was born. I'm also happy with the way Campagnolo components work, and I'm partial to the idea of tradition and legacy. And, again, I like the way Campagnolo parts look better than Shimano. Decisions, decisions.

Smiley
03-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Both very good , the new 10 speed hoods from Shimano need to be accounted for in your fit as they are LONGER , otherwise which Feels best for your hands much like saddles . I chose Shimano because I can swap wheels and parts much easier across all my bikes. And I like the ergonomics or the Shimano shifter.

If you can wait , the New SRAM stuff will settle your issues once and for all as it appears to be a HYBRID of the best of both systems. I await to see the compatability with wheels and cassettes , This will be an interesting grouppo to look at in the near future ( fall 2006 ).

dbrk
03-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Tastes great...NO!!...Less filling! Sucks!!...NO!!!...Blows!!

I make this decision now entirely on price. I could care less about who makes it, where it is made, tradition: modern parts aren't worth thirty seconds of thought because they all work just fine. I'm also with Ray, I use both and unless you have strong preferences then it's not an either/or. What's worth it to you is your own decision but I can't find enough difference between 105 and DA or Centaur and Record to justify 30cents. I'm not just a cheapskate, but enough is enough.

dbrk

stevep
03-20-2006, 06:58 AM
the quote from boonen is funny. luckily he probably wont need the 11 for flanders or pr!
who remembers lemond when he had campy stuff ( c record i think on la vie clair?) and his chain kept falling off during climbs in the tour? i remember 4-5 photos of him off the bike screwing with it. nobody could get that stuff to work!

Kevin
03-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Pick the one that you think looks better, because the performance is going to be comparable.

Kevin

Dave B
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey there is always SRAM!!!!!

Too Tall
03-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I finally (gulp) read this thread out of morbid curiosity. Low and behold Kevin and M.P. nailed my thoughts....It is a fashion decision or wait for SRAM. I kid you not.

steelrider
03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Campagnolo breaks in, ShimaNO breaks down. I have large hands and the Ergoshifters work just fine. Campagnolo is rebuildable,

William
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Campagnolo breaks in, ShimaNO breaks down. I have large hands and the Ergoshifters work just fine. Campagnolo is rebuildable,

Yes, and Campy parts are soooooooooooo inexpensive. :rolleyes:

William ;)

PS: Break the mold, try SRAM. :beer:

gdw
03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
mwos
It sounds like the shop you're dealing with (S.G. in Boulder?) might be more interested in selling you a new group than solving your immediate problem. I've set up several Campy equiped bikes for petite women and bar selection makes a big difference in ease of use. Check out the women's specific handlebars from Terry and ITM before you consider switching to Ultegra.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?c=Bike+Parts+%26+Accessories&sc=Terry+Specific+Parts&item_no=22000
http://www.itm.it/catalogo/inglese/sc_pr_pi.asp?id=65&tab=pieghe

Larry
03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=William]Yes, and Campy parts are soooooooooooo inexpensive. :rolleyes:

You get what you pay for. Campy parts are expensive, especially those
small springs for the shift levers.
But the look is total class, and the function is rock solid.

I could never imagine Shimano parts on a bike as distinctive as a Richard Sachs. It just would not work, and Richie would give you a real lecture concerning component selection!!!!!!!!!! Campy rules!!

andy mac
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=William]Yes, and Campy parts are soooooooooooo inexpensive. :rolleyes:

You get what you pay for. Campy parts are expensive, especially those
small springs for the shift levers.
But the look is total class, and the function is rock solid.

I could never imagine Shimano parts on a bike as distinctive as a Richard Sachs. It just would not work, and Richie would give you a real lecture concerning component selection!!!!!!!!!! Campy rules!!

hey style man, better to keep the women italian and the engineering japanese.

(one group has won the last 7 TDF's and the other is called campy)

:beer: :D :butt: :cool: :rolleyes: :beer:

Johny
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
one group has won the last 7 TDF's ...

Rumors are that his group contained traces of EPO, steroids...

97CSI
03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
My LBS is trying to convince me that I should switch to Shimano for the short reach levers. But, the hoods feel so uncomfortable to me, I have small hands. So, do I get Shimano for short reach levers or Campy for comfort over the hoods? KathiHow much time do you spend on the hoods and how much time shifting/reaching for levers? I spend about 90% on the hoods, 8% in the drops and 1-2% working levers. Hoods win about 90-to-1 for me. How about for you? That said, I definitely prefer Campy.

hey style man, better to keep the women italian and the engineering japanese.Believe the engineering in Italy is just fine. After all, F-1 racing gear is considerably more complex than bicycle racing gear. And the Italians (and French) have been handing the Japanese their hats for many, many years in F-1 racing. And, Campy engineering is part of those wins, IIRC.

andy mac
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Believe the engineering in Italy is just fine. After all, F-1 racing gear is considerably more complex than bicycle racing gear. And the Italians (and French) have been handing the Japanese their hats for many, many years in F-1 racing. And, Campy engineering is part of those wins, IIRC.[/QUOTE]

i am delighted they can build a car that usually can hold together for 2 hours.

ever owned or known an owner of a ferarri??

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=110116

:beer: :beer:

97CSI
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
i am delighted they can build a car that usually can hold together for 2 hours. ever owned or known an owner of a ferarri??
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=110116The folks I've known who own a Ferrari (or two) always have the highest of praise for them. I would very much like to have one. :D And, MS is only speaking about the fact that he hasn't finished first. The place he has become accustomed to. No Ferrari has DNF'd this year and has only been beaten by one Japanese car (Button in a Honda). Check the points. Italy is doing just fine.

Grant McLean
03-20-2006, 06:27 PM

that's one way of looking at shimano's tour record...
another is that only 1 man has ever won the tour on
shimano in over a hundred years...

-g

Ray
03-20-2006, 06:41 PM
For the last seven years, the TDF has been won by a rider with one nut and lost by a bunch of guys with two. I guess we should all go get one lopped off then?

Come on guys. Campy vs. Shimano has as much to do with who wins the TDF as our predictions do. This started off as the LEAST flamable discussion of this venerable topic EVER. Let's not descend into a stupid flame war at this late date.

-Ray

andy mac
03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
For the last seven years, the TDF has been won by a rider with one nut and lost by a bunch of guys with two. I guess we should all go get one lopped off then?

Come on guys. Campy vs. Shimano has as much to do with who wins the TDF as our predictions do. This started off as the LEAST flamable discussion of this venerable topic EVER. Let's not descend into a stupid flame war at this late date.

-Ray

awww, but the campy kool aiders are so serious it's so hard not to have fun with them!!

xoxo

andy - (who couldn't give a toss.)

Samster
03-20-2006, 09:49 PM
hey, those japanese dudes took over my native peninsula just one too many times...

cam--py! cam--py! cam--py!.....

but then again, my current rig is a mutt so who am i to talk.

SoCalSteve
03-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Believe the engineering in Italy is just fine. After all, F-1 racing gear is considerably more complex than bicycle racing gear. And the Italians (and French) have been handing the Japanese their hats for many, many years in F-1 racing. And, Campy engineering is part of those wins, IIRC.

:beer: :beer:[/QUOTE]

A few people that I have known in the movie indusrty over the years have owned Ferrari's. Most of them have been really disappointed from a purely mechanical and reliability stand point. I guess there are a few things that are better left to an assembly line. I think car making is one of them.

I could tell you some Ferrari stories (from people who have owned them) that would make you very happy knowing that you own a Toyota Camry.

Steve

andy mac
03-20-2006, 10:10 PM

:beer: :beer:

A few people that I have known in the movie indusrty over the years have owned Ferrari's. Most of them have been really disappointed from a purely mechanical and reliability stand point. I guess there are a few things that are better left to an assembly line. I think car making is one of them.

I could tell you some Ferrari stories (from people who have owned them) that would make you very happy knowing that you own a Toyota Camry.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by andy mac
Believe the engineering in Italy is just fine. After all, F-1 racing gear is considerably more complex than bicycle racing gear. And the Italians (and French) have been handing the Japanese their hats for many, many years in F-1 racing. And, Campy engineering is part of those wins, IIRC.

that's not my quote - the evil camp(y) empire has hijacked and flipped my prose/ramblings!!

:argue:

(nb: italian: women, wine, song, food, topless beaches, fashion :beer: )

vaxn8r
03-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Apples and Oranges. State of the art racing sloops, for example, are ultra light weight and tuned to performance, but long term reliability and longevity is not the goal of these race craft. They snap rudders, masts, spinnikar poles, blow out sails routinely. I suspect car racing is similar. Don't they completely rebuild the engines after one or two races?

I don't look at bike componentry as quite the same thing. They aren't pushing the envelope to the same degree. I suspect if you lightened the bike to 7-8 lbs it would be a better analogy.

The Spider
03-21-2006, 02:31 AM
my vote, Shimano 105 and spend the money where it really matters....a custom frame then some damn fine wheels. derailleurs are derailleurs (I still cannot tell the difference betweeen record/chorus/da/ultegra and if your happy with your current frame then a nice pair of wheels, handbuilt and custom to your needs.....oh baby!

If you can start or contribute to a flame war over who builds your front derailleur then you are an idiot.

William
03-21-2006, 04:17 AM
See this little guy here ----> ;)

He's telling you that some one is joshing you. Yes, him----> ;)

Now, when you see ----> ;) , take it light heartedly. Remember ----> ;)

He's saying, "heh, I'm pulling yer leg pal, lookie me" -----> ;)

So, -----> ;) = kidding, -----> :butt: = not really kidding (but I might be ----> ;) ).

So in the end it doesn't matter, Shimano, SRAM, or Campy. Same-O, same-O, choose your poison. Besides, I'll kick your arse on yer silly, delicate handed, Campy gruppo bike anyway. ;)

William

97CSI
03-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Apples and Oranges. Don't they completely rebuild the engines after one or two races?And what possible difference can that make? They both (actually, all constructors) have exactly the same engineering parameters to deal with. And, for the past many years the Italians have come out on top of everyone but the French. So buy Mavic. ;) As far as bicycle components, they are all good today.

dave thompson
03-21-2006, 05:21 AM
[<snip>....................I could never imagine Shimano parts on a bike as distinctive as a Richard Sachs. It just would not work.......<snip>
Really?

97CSI
03-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Man.....that's ugly with those components. As 'they' say, no accounting for (lack of) taste.

stevep
03-21-2006, 06:59 AM
sorry, but back to ferrari. i remember reading somewhere that one of the ferrari models came without a clock, ok. but to get a clock on the dashboard in the clock space cost $10,000.
funny.
and the ferrari clock tick tocked like an old grandfather clock,.
just thought it was too funny. it did not need to be wound however. and it only lost 3 minutes a month. i believe richard sachs makes the clocks because it takes 3 years to get one but i am not positive about this last.

vaxn8r
03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
And what possible difference can that make? They both (actually, all constructors) have exactly the same engineering parameters to deal with. And, for the past many years the Italians have come out on top of everyone but the French. So buy Mavic. ;) As far as bicycle components, they are all good today.
The difference is that these super high performance racing cars or boats are not meant to be daily drivers/sailers. They don't hold up in that manner of usage. I just think its a wrong analogy to compare the technologies, though I do get the point you are making.

Big Dan
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Really?

Way to go Dave..enjoy the ride.... :p

William
03-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Prove it. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4739)

mwos
03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=gpdavis2]How much time do you spend on the hoods and how much time shifting/reaching for levers? I spend about 90% on the hoods, 8% in the drops and 1-2% working levers. Hoods win about 90-to-1 for me. How about for you? That said, I definitely prefer Campy.

The problem is that the Shimano R-700 brifters are being promoted for short fingers and yes, they do solve the reach problem from drops. However, I am convinced they were not made for small hands. My hands measure 5" from the tip of my thumb (spread open) across the palm. So it is harder for me to grasp and brake from the hoods. I do brake from the hoods more than from the drops and because the grasp is harder my concern is that braking wouldn't be as precise as it is on my Campy brifters.

Thanks for the thread, I know some think the topic redundant, but I was thinking I was being a "Campy snob" and rejected the R-700's for that reason. This thread got me to thinking maybe I was looking at the wrong brifters so I did some more checking, found some bikes with the R-700's on them reconfirmed my thinking and now I'm more convinced than before that Shimano won't work for me.

Kathi

coylifut
03-21-2006, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=William]

I wonder if this guy got the lecture?

chrisroph
03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
C'mon, we all know that clinchers suck.....wait a minute, wrong thread. Nevermind.

William
03-22-2006, 04:13 AM
C'mon, we all know that clinchers suck.....wait a minute, wrong thread. Nevermind.

Not in France....oh wait, still wrong thread.

William ;)

Larry
03-22-2006, 07:20 AM
[QUOTE=Larry]

I wonder if this guy got the lecture?

Point confirmed........Those Shimano Brake Hoods just do not look good on a RS! This rider must have bought the parts cheap, or else the team was on a tight budget.

Big Dan
03-22-2006, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=coylifut]

Point confirmed........Those Shimano Brake Hoods just do not look good on a RS! This rider must have bought the parts cheap, or else the team was on a tight budget.

Are you trying to be funny????....... :crap:
Get to know Dave.... :hello:

Johny
03-22-2006, 10:46 AM
http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/data/3006/mini-sachs4.JPG

coylifut
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Larry]

Are you trying to be funny????....... :crap:
Get to know Dave.... :hello:

Dan. My wife's grand father told me,

"Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty and the pig likes it!"

davids
03-22-2006, 11:13 AM
My next decision on new Ottrott: shimano or campy. A lifelong Dura Ace user, I am considering a switch. All thoughts/comments welcome.
I'm curious to know why you're thinking of switching.

Personally, the thumbshifters on the Campys are right where I want to rest my hands while riding on the hoods (85% of my riding), so that was a deal-breaker. The Shimano hoods, both 9 and 10 speed, feel good to me. I haven't put enough time on the 10s to know if I've got a preference there.

I liked the mechanical action of the Campy a bit more than the smooth Shimano action, but both are excellent in their own rights.

And now back to the partisan sniping...

marle
03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a Campy Record and Shimano DA 10 bikes. Enjoy them both. Last summer was hot and humid in NY. At the end of it, I lost the ability to shift the Campy FD. Why?

My sweat poured into and down the left brifter thumb lever. The resulting salt deposits froze the lever. I think this is less likely with DA10. The DA10 design has a tight seal around the inner brifter mechanicals. There you have it - at least one more mechanical differrence.

vaxn8r
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I have a Campy Record and Shimano DA 10 bikes. Enjoy them both. Last summer was hot and humid in NY. At the end of it, I lost the ability to shift the Campy FD. Why?

My sweat poured into and down the left brifter thumb lever. The resulting salt deposits froze the lever. I think this is less likely with DA10. The DA10 design has a tight seal around the inner brifter mechanicals. There you have it - at least one more mechanical differrence.
More likely than not something mechanically jammed the shift mechanism, like the brake hood moved or wedged into the mechanism or the bar tape got bunched up or frayed under the hood. That seems way more likely than sweat corrosion, even in a sticky summer. IMHO.

jerk
03-22-2006, 06:08 PM
it doesn't matter. they both work fine. the old campy campy lever shape was better than either the new campy or the new shimano shape; but both systems work ffine and they both look nice in there own way. for the jerk, it doesn't matter.

jerk

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
it doesn't matter. they both work fine. the old campy campy lever shape was better than either the new campy or the new shimano shape; but both systems work ffine and they both look nice in there own way. for the jerk, it doesn't matter.

jerk

Is your real name Jan?
Shouldn't you be training....

-g

Larry
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=coylifut][QUOTE=Big Dan]

Dan. My wife's grand father told me,

"Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty and the pig likes it!"[/QUOTE
]
Inappropriate comment for forum. No originality.

Q U A C K !!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kellogg
03-22-2006, 07:40 PM
You mentioned that you had difficulty reaching your levers from the drops and even some from the hoods. I assume that there may be some issues with hand strength on long descents as well ... if that is the case, I would suggest two things;

1) ST-R600 control levers. The brake lever resting position is adjustable for much smaller hands if you need it.

2) Shimano in any case since the force required to accomplish a shift and to brake at a given rate is considerably less than with Campy.

I do realize that Campy brakes do modulate better than Shimano brakes do, but if you can't get enough stopping force with Campys, who cares.

Boy, it is getting late and I am way too tired to write. My apologies ...

pale scotsman
03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Ok my buddy is gonna kill me, but here's what his sachs looked like before he bought it. Yep, that's a 105 triple group which rode just fine for the 88 year old gentleman that sold it to him.

dave thompson
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Dura Ace triple group rides fine for the 64 year-old gentleman that owns it.

Jeff N.
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Dura Ace triple group rides fine for the 64 year-old gentleman that owns it.Red and white...red and white....is that the mandatory color scheme for all RS owners? Jeff N.

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Red and white...red and white....is that the mandatory color scheme for all RS owners? Jeff N.

Don't push your luck, or else.....

No soup for you!

-g

jerk
03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
those bikes are so ****ing ugly. someone please make it stop. its like putting 15 steel wheels and 5 mph bumpers on a ferrari daytona. some one please go steal those bikes and set them up proper.

jerk

Marcusaurelius
03-22-2006, 10:07 PM

I doubt there is a winner except campagnolo makes all their parts to be rebuilt and has spare parts even for really old parts. Camapgnolo has paired down their inventory a little but usually you can get most anything. Shimano on the other doesn't make their shifters or anything else rebuildable. The also don't keep a large inventory of old parts as I recently discovered when I asked about a 9 speed ultegra triple front derailleur. If you want something you can rebuild in 5 years so it works like new--or something that will not be rebuilt. (Shimano parts really seem to show their age after about 5 years, I've lost track of the number of sti shifters that have ceased to function)

Sandy
03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I doubt there is a winner except campagnolo makes all their parts to be rebuilt and has spare parts even for really old parts. Camapgnolo has paired down their inventory a little but usually you can get most anything. Shimano on the other doesn't make their shifters or anything else rebuildable. The also don't keep a large inventory of old parts as I recently discovered when I asked about a 9 speed ultegra triple front derailleur. If you want something you can rebuild in 5 years so it works like new--or something that will not be rebuilt. (Shimano parts really seem to show their age after about 5 years, I've lost track of the number of sti shifters that have ceased to function)

I had at least 5 sti shifter on my 1998 CSi (9 speed).

Sandy

manet
03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

marle
03-23-2006, 07:20 AM
More likely than not something mechanically jammed the shift mechanism, like the brake hood moved or wedged into the mechanism or the bar tape got bunched up or frayed under the hood. That seems way more likely than sweat corrosion, even in a sticky summer. IMHO.

Could be but my story came from my wrench. Who know? Thanks :beer:

Larry
03-23-2006, 07:28 AM
those bikes are so ****ing ugly. someone please make it stop. its like putting 15 steel wheels and 5 mph bumpers on a ferrari daytona. some one please go steal those bikes and set them up proper.

jerk

You are precisely right.......hands down!
The Shimano Brifters stick out noticeably. Plain ugly.
A beautiful and detailed RS needs the finess of Campy. Then the whole package comes together!!

Johny
03-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I had at least 5 sti shifter on my 1998 CSi (9 speed).

Sandy

Sandy,

Were they right side shifters?

You have better luck with 10 speed STI?

Big Dan
03-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Wow the Kool Aid mix was pretty strong.............. :eek:

The Spider
03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Stronger bike for Boonen

Tom Boonen is to ride the E3 Prijs with a sturdier frame, reports Sportwereld.be. The brute strength of the Quick.Step rider in the sprints has seen him have several mishaps with his gearing. Thus, Quick.Step's frame supplier Time is beefing things up for Tornado Tom, just in case.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar25news

Grant McLean
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Stronger bike for Boonen

Tom Boonen is to ride the E3 Prijs with a sturdier frame, reports Sportwereld.be. The brute strength of the Quick.Step rider in the sprints has seen him have several mishaps with his gearing. Thus, Quick.Step's frame supplier Time is beefing things up for Tornado Tom, just in case.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar25news

Is it any wonder! 177.5 cranks + those legs = MP

97CSI
03-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Really doesn't matter where the engineering comes from (Italy, Japan, France, USA), to have guys with the strength of Boonen and Petacchi put all they've got into those crankarms, pedals, chains, bars, frames, etc., it is very surprising how few failures they get. Guess that's why pussies like me can get 25K out of a set of brifters (Campy, of course) without a hiccoup. Built with a much stronger person in mind.

The Spider
03-25-2006, 05:27 PM
of guys riding box rims and 32 spoke hand-built wheels makes me smile :)