PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Rides on Cross Bikes: Tubulars vs. Clinchers?

RonW87
11-05-2014, 04:12 PM
This past Sunday I did a long ride (80 km) with friends on a mix of single and double track and dirt and asphalt roads on my cross bike. I like riding my 32mm tubular tires with file tread and side knobs.

In case of flats, I took some Pit Stop sealant and, as a back-up, a normal size road tire (23mm).

We're set to do a similar ride this weekend and I'm getting jittery about running tubs again. With clincher cross tires, not only can I change a tube and be good as new again, but I can also borrow spare inner tubes from my friends in case of multiple flats.

On the other hand, if I just carry a full size spare tubular cross tire, that might solve the problem. Will it fit under a saddle?

I would love to hear what other tubular aficionados think about long mixed-surface rides on tubulars.

R.

old fat man
11-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I ride my tubies at the local trails, but I'm never more than 5 or 6 miles away from home in case things went totally south. I carry sealant and pump.

I host a 60 mile adventure ride in the spring and had a participant ride tubies. He double flatted at a particularly gnarly section so even though he had a spare tire, he was SOL. I guess it depends on how understanding your buddies are. If you ride the tubies and you double flat, are you okay with being left on your own, or are you going to ruin the ride for the rest of them? That's how I'd make my decision.

Cat3roadracer
11-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Clinchers for rides such as this. Save the tubies for race day.

RonW87
11-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys. Good perspectives.

sandyrs
11-06-2014, 07:11 AM
It's my understanding that good CX tubulars wear rather quickly because the rubber compound used in the tread is quite soft. This is another reason (aside from flatting concerns) that I only use my tubulars for race day. Also, to get real benefit out of CX tubulars, I find that one has to run pressures low enough to make handling on pavement terrible.

Scuzzer
11-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I use Vitt XN or Grifo XS tubulars for the vast majority of my all terrain rides whether they're 2 hours or 8 and it's worked out great. I carry a full size spare and 2 CO2 cylinders in a Jandd tubular seat pack along with a bottle of Stans in my jersey and I've never been stranded in the 3 years I've been doing these types of rides.

I'm a large guy for a cyclist (6'2"/210 lbs) so working that fine line between pinch flats and comfort on the rocky roads that I ride usually ended up with me riding on tires that felt like garden hoses (I'm looking at you Vittoria Randonneur) so when I switched to tubulars with 50 psi or so in 'em it was a revelation. Also, I don't race cross so my pile of tubular laden wheels would sit unused if I only used them for race day.

Riding tubulars makes me smile so if you think they'd make you smile as well give them a try. If worrying about flatting and holding up your buddies causes you more angst than the positives of riding tubulars then leave them at home.

joosttx
11-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Have you considered tubeless? I tried them this summer and will never go back to clinchers. I have had only one flat for the last 5 months of riding on tubeless. And a innertube fixed that.

So, if flats are the issue I think the tubeless route is the way to go because they are as flat resistant as tubulars and when you get a flat, they are as easy to fix as a clincher. Best of both worlds.

Lewis Moon
11-06-2014, 11:13 AM
If I were a rich man (cue movie soundtrack) and could have four or five dedicated sets of wheels, I'd ride tubies. I'm not so it's clinchers for me.

JStonebarger
11-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Clinchers with latex tubes. Every day. Even race day.

Scuzzer
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
If I were a rich man

It's not that expensive if you wait around until you find the tires on sale. My last purchase was 4 Vittoria XN from Wiggle for $85 shipped. I did get lucky too, my father gave me three sets of old tubular wheels perfectly suited for large man gravel riding.

krismac23
11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I ride tubular's year around. Only really own one set of Clinchers for winter training. I do MTb trail on my cx tubular's all the time also. BUT i always carry 2 Co2 canisters and a Stan's 2oz bottle with a mix of stan's and some glitter. Never had to use it for cx while riding or trainning but did have to use it once or twice after a race for cx. Had to use it twice so far on the road.

I figure the big fear of tubular tire's isn't a pinch flat but rather the dreaded side wall cut or something sealant normally can't over come. I figure that would end my day with clincher's. I know you can boot it but your still stuck out of a tire when you get home. Plus I usually have a cell phone to get back. If your really worried you can always carry and extra wrapped up tubular.

catchourbreath
11-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I've seen people doing gravel/adventure stuff flat their tubie miles from the nearest shop. I personally either do clincher or tubeless and bring an extra tube and a metrocard to fix any sidewall issues.

zennmotion
11-06-2014, 12:32 PM
I've considered tubs, if only because I have several pair where the tread actually wore down before they became unreliable (sealant only goes so far before it's a crap shoot to have a tire slowly deflate during a short hard CX race) or the sidewalls rotted- tires that I would no longer race CX with. The question for myself was, how much better does a CX tub feel on pavement and gravel roads compared to a 32mm clincher? I would tend to run them at similar pressure for mixed pavement/gravel, maybe 40-50psi. And the difference at those pressures wouldn't feel (to me anyway) all that much different. And the back-of-my-brain concern over a flat (though admittedly in reality no big deal) would detract from an otherwise care-free (read: relatively car-free) ride. On the joy ride gravel adventures, I bring 2 tubes, one for me, one for a friend and a full size frame pump, extra chain link, spare cleat and screws, denim strip for a tire boot and a good multi-tool. It's all about the Boy Scout Motto, then no worries mon. But a gravel race that I really wanted to compete? Then I might be tempted to throw on one of my well-used grifos with worn smooth center tread.
As far as tubeless, that works well for some, but sometimes theory (what should work easily) and practice (does your setup work easily) are two different things- I've also waited in frustration for someone struggling to remove or re-seat a tubeless tire with an innertube, not always easy by the side of the road- YMMV.

flydhest
11-06-2014, 03:39 PM
What about a slashed sidewalk that can't be booted? I have had that happen in these cases. Tubular ... you replace the tire.

redir
11-06-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm a big fan of riding tubulars but probably not for a ride like that. Like you said worse case scenario, double flat, you can at least borrow something from some one else.

sparky33
11-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Riding tubulars makes me smile so if you think they'd make you smile as well give them a try. If worrying about flatting and holding up your buddies causes you more angst than the positives of riding tubulars then leave them at home.

CX tubs ride soooo much better....cornering, traction, comfort. Clement tubs wear nicely and do well with sealant. Racing, trails, just riding... love my tubs for that.

That said, for epic dirt adventures I'm liking big Challenge Gravel Grinder 38 clinchers ....a big file tread tire. The GravelGrinderNews review on these is spot on. Better than a CX tub in some ways for a ride like that.