PDA

View Full Version : skin + saddle question

plattyjo
11-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I've been doing a lot more riding in the past few years due to my randonneuring exploits, and my husband noticed that the skin around my, uh, "saddle" area has changed in color. It's noticeably darker -- almost like bruises, but there's no pain. It's like my saddle has imprinted itself on my skin in that area! Just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon from logging lots of miles...and if I should be worried!

seanile
11-05-2014, 01:48 PM
i can't say i can see that far up my own ass to give a direct comparison, but what you've got sounds like my heels. theyre flushed blood red and slightly purple full-time, and if you press on them they go very white, and when you release they go back to bruise-like mode. been the case for as long as i can remember.
probably something to do with the constant amount of contact/pressure on the area.

regularguy412
11-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Is it possible that some of the dye from the saddle may have leached into your skin? I've had some saddles that look noticeably lighter in color, as opposed to the original black, after they've had several thousand miles ridden on them. For this reason back in 1996, I began using waterproof saddle covers on all my saddles. Have not had an issue with skin or with saddle color bleaching out- or with the salt from sweat permeating the saddle foam and turning it into a rock.

Mike in AR:beer:

guido
11-05-2014, 02:15 PM
The bike/human melding has begun!

rain dogs
11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
This sounds like a question for your doctor/OBGYN.

I have noticed on myself and a few women, a very, very slight change, which i would almost say looks to just be a slight toughening of the skin. But noticeably darker? Like bruises... not that I've seen (although sample size understandably isn't numerous).

If there is no pain, it may be a circulation thing. I'm not a doctor, and I'd say that if there is no pain it's likely not an emergency or reason to be overly concerned, but I'd get it checked sooner than later anyway.

plattyjo
11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I'll ask some of my female rando friends to see if they've noticed this happening, too. It really looks like a saddle's been tattooed on my sit bones area! I have been using a Cambium C17 saddle and the color's been bleaching out of the fabric slowly, so maybe that's contributed also...

Louis
11-05-2014, 03:01 PM
I assume the OP uses shorts those shorts have a chamois... :eek:

Dead Man
11-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes- I also have this. And some other related phenomena.

Ken Robb
11-05-2014, 03:57 PM
This is another subject that is hard to assess without photos. :)

pitonpat
11-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Yup, somebody had to say it!!!

Dead Man
11-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Excellent observation. Concur.

nicrump
11-05-2014, 04:30 PM
wrong thread

Don49
11-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes, photos with a metric tape measure alongside.

Seriously though, does sound like dye leeching off the Cambium.

Dead Man
11-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Yes, photos with a metric tape measure alongside.

Seriously though, does sound like dye leeching off the Cambium.

Tis not, with me... I've had the same thing happen in other spots on my body from other activities also- I've gotten the same type of tan spots on my hips from wearing a harness for hours a day. It's some kind of reaction to damage in the skin.. maybe just a thickening f the skin and subsequent increase in melanin? That's my best guess.

In my case, my "related phenomena" is hard cysts in the same spots- They're like saddle sores, but don't hurt to ride on and aren't poppable. There's definitely a biological effect on my ass from the saddle.

plattyjo
11-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Haha - I don't think my husband would appreciate me posting any photos of my saddle tattoos on here!

And come to think of it, I used to play a lot of tennis when I was young and I have similar discolorations on my fingers in certain sections from the friction from tennis racquets -- and if I don't wear cycling gloves, I get similar "wear patches" on my thumbs. So perhaps it's just as The B said and it's a thickening of the skin and a side effect of that.

I do, of course, wear shorts with chamois and use a lot of cream to go along with it. Wouldn't be able to survive the long rides without either! :)

cash05458
11-05-2014, 04:52 PM
this thread is about as close to physically excited as I have been ever on this site...:no:

all laughs aside, I hope you work it out PlattyJo...should not be a big deal I would think...

plattyjo
11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks -- I don't think it's a big deal, but I'll be sure to ask my doctor next time I see her just to be sure.

Keith A
11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Ok guys, let's keep it clean. plattyjo asked a legitimate question and there have been some helpful replies, so let's stay on topic.

Admiral Ackbar
11-05-2014, 05:57 PM
wow and here i was thinking this forum was full of mature adults..? pretty lame..

well anyway...I'm bestowed with male organs..but I too have some skin discoloration in my "saddle area" and between my thighs where i rub the nose of my saddle, and the skin under my sit bones is a bit rough/tough. if i don't ride/ride often for a few days / a week, or more it seems to fade back to looking/feeling relatively normal.

I've never really paid it much attention as it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, besides a bit of self consciousness. imo id say you're okay. but of course it would probably be best to get an opinion from a dermatologist or the like

ultraman6970
11-05-2014, 06:04 PM
callus? :)

Are you sure is not the saddle that is not discoloring?? or maybe the shorts??

MattTuck
11-05-2014, 06:10 PM
The bike/human melding has begun!

Couldn't find an image with "SHE"...

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1c/1cf9c76ca50b0393509fb33ca0aafaab875d4ae6df32836d42 eef80fda68eda9.jpg

You could also talk to a dermatologist. It is possible that particular chamois cream you're using is the culprit.

plattyjo
11-05-2014, 06:33 PM
^^^Haha, nice Obi Wan quote!

I actually use a variety of chamois cream brands, so I don't think it's that -- and I rotate through different brands of cycling shorts, too (and Assos for the rides 200k and higher.)

But it's good to hear others have this discoloration. I should track it during my "off-season" and see if it fades over time as I ride a little less over the next two months. (I've been averaging about 800+ miles a month this year.)

eddief
11-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe someone could facilitate a butt check here in Berkeley. I could be walking around with a baboon butt and not even know it. And I use WTB saddles, so my tatoo won't even be classy. Gotta love the forum.

Louis
11-05-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.luxurylaunches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/worlds_most_expensive_bicycle_saddles_2.jpg

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51358d51e4b0f7335636ca84/539880d5e4b00d5cf3c4bbff/539880d5e4b0bf3a5a5af3e4/1402503396200/-vintage-colnago-clover-logo-Carbon-specialized-phenom-pro-Custom-leather-blue-white-brown-saddle-seat-bike-bicycle-motorcycle-hand-made-cowboy-%207.jpg

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1921262263_1/design-Brand-Bike-Bicycle-Riding-Saddle-Seat-Cushion-Spider-deisign-brand-Ergonomics-full-hollow-mtb-bicycle.jpg_220x220.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/590326/photo-main.jpg?1397824224

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/bike-seat-cover-knitting-kit.jpeg

http://upholsteryjournalmag.com/repository/7/9112/full_1010_uj_f2_8.jpg

http://www.cyclingmaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Stone-Seat.jpg

cash05458
11-05-2014, 07:18 PM
wow and here i was thinking this forum was full of mature adults..? pretty lame..

well anyway...I'm bestowed with male organs..but I too have some skin discoloration in my "saddle area" and between my thighs where i rub the nose of my saddle, and the skin under my sit bones is a bit rough/tough. if i don't ride/ride often for a few days / a week, or more it seems to fade back to looking/feeling relatively normal.

I've never really paid it much attention as it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, besides a bit of self consciousness. imo id say you're okay. but of course it would probably be best to get an opinion from a dermatologist or the like

please don't talk about being "bestowed"...:fight:

cash05458
11-05-2014, 07:20 PM
P.J.: you are doing plus 800 miles a month? not sure what folks are taking outta this...but that is damn impressive!!!!:hello:

93legendti
11-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I've been doing a lot more riding in the past few years due to my randonneuring exploits, and my husband noticed that the skin around my, uh, "saddle" area has changed in color. It's noticeably darker -- almost like bruises, but there's no pain. It's like my saddle has imprinted itself on my skin in that area! Just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon from logging lots of miles...and if I should be worried!

I googled and came up with this...take it for what it's worth:

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/7829/treatment-for-dark-black-skin-in-crotch-and-groin-.html

"If you have dark skin in your groin area, there could be a lot of different causes for it. In most people, darkening of skin in the upper thighs region or the groin is caused solely due to chafing of the skin. Every time you walk, the friction between your thighs, when combined with sweat, may cause the skin around your thighs as well as your groin to darken.

Apart from this, skin discoloration causes include spilling of insulin in the skin. Elevated insulin levels are typically seen in those who are obese and those who are suffering from type 2 diabetes. There is also a possibility that the darkened groin may be caused due to side-effects from certain medications.

Darkened skin anywhere in the body could also be caused due to medical conditions such as Addison's disease. Though rare, darkened skin in the groin could also be caused due to hormonal disorders, specifically those of the thyroid gland. Acanthosis nigricans is a condition that is characterized by unusual darkening of the folds of skin. This is hereditary and it could, in rare cases, cause a darkened groin area. Such darkening of the skin may also be seen around the neck, the elbows and the ankles. You will need some skin discoloration remedies for this condition."

gasman
11-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I googled and came up with this...take it for what it's worth:

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/7829/treatment-for-dark-black-skin-in-crotch-and-groin-.html

"If you have dark skin in your groin area, there could be a lot of different causes for it. In most people, darkening of skin in the upper thighs region or the groin is caused solely due to chafing of the skin. Every time you walk, the friction between your thighs, when combined with sweat, may cause the skin around your thighs as well as your groin to darken.

Apart from this, skin discoloration causes include spilling of insulin in the skin. Elevated insulin levels are typically seen in those who are obese and those who are suffering from type 2 diabetes. There is also a possibility that the darkened groin may be caused due to side-effects from certain medications.

Darkened skin anywhere in the body could also be caused due to medical conditions such as Addison's disease. Though rare, darkened skin in the groin could also be caused due to hormonal disorders, specifically those of the thyroid gland. Acanthosis nigricans is a condition that is characterized by unusual darkening of the folds of skin. This is hereditary and it could, in rare cases, cause a darkened groin area. Such darkening of the skin may also be seen around the neck, the elbows and the ankles. You will need some skin discoloration remedies for this condition."

None of the above except friction. Not if you are riding 800 plus miles month

ptourkin
11-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I ride a Cambium on my rando bike too. Any of you dirty old men want to see pictures of MY ass?

stephenmarklay
11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I ride a Cambium on my rando bike too. Any of you dirty old men want to see pictures of MY ass?

Be careful the NSA is watching.

I really doubt the discoloration is anything to be concerned about. Your picture (if thats you) looks like your darker skinned. If so thickening of the skin and excess keratin may be the cause.

metalheart
11-05-2014, 11:16 PM
I did more and harder miles this past year and I have developed calluses and some skin discoloration in the skin where my site bones meet the saddle. I asked my GP about it and she just said something like, "what do you expect riding so much....."

plattyjo
11-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I have olive skin -- and these past two years I've been logging more miles than ever before, so I bet that + the fact I bruise easily + darker complexions might be contributing factors!

(It's all in the service of qualifying for Paris-Brest-Paris next year!)