PDA

View Full Version : Easton ec90 equipes + Deda Newton - who's using this combo?

BdaGhisallo
03-19-2006, 03:11 PM
I have been running an Easton ec90 equipe pro bar for a couple of months now and I love it. The shape is great. I am using Ritchey's new 4axis stem with it, the one designed specifically for carbon bars. On top of having to endure the horrid graphics on the stem, I am still getting an ungodly creaking out of it. I posted about this previously and have taken heed of all the suggestions that you have thoughtfully provided, but to no relief!!

So I am strongly considering putting the newton back on. I know that four bolt stems are somewhat worrisome for carbon bars in some quarters. I used it for about a fortnight when I got the bar before putting on the ritchey. I torqued it at 6nM, the low end of the range Deda spec on the stem and while there was a tiny bit of creaking, it was nothing compared to the hell I am currently living through.

For those that are using this combo, how is it holding up? Is the newton causing any issues or worry? I see that Easton now states that the 31.8mm bar is compatible with four bolt stems, something they didn't say previously ( I guess they were trying to sell their two-bolt stems).

Also, I have some of this new Tacx dynamic assembly compound coming. It is designed to aid in the install of carbon bits, providing a bit of an adhesive and filler effect, allowing you to get the same clamping force with slightly lower bolt torques. This should tame the cacophony somewhat I hope, but if it doesn't do the trick the Newton is coming off the bench into the game and the ritchey will be exiled to the penalty box!!

http://www.cbike.com/tacx_dynamic_assembly_compound.htm

So what do you guys think? Is the newton safe?

Of course, there's always the Deda Arimo, though only in an 82deg bend. I could take a face plate off an Arimo, with its carbon bikini face intended to spread the clamping force, and put it on the Newton and be done with it!!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=1541&CATEGORY.ID=38&MODE=

Thanks again for the help.
Geoff

gone
03-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Geoff,

I've been using an EC-90 with a Deda Newton stem for about 9200 miles on moderately rough terrain (chip seal) with no problems whatsoever. I torque it to 8nm and have had no squeaks, squeals, cracks, creaks or any other problems. Go for it!

Argos
03-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Agreed. Me too. I use that combo on three bikes currently. Love it.

stevep
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
deep six that crap and put on alloy bars.
sorry.
but it will save you a lot of a pain in the ***!

Argos
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
What pain? No problems here. He already has them and wants to know about stems... It's all good.

Fixed
03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
bro creaks can mean cracks check it out bro ,cheers

stevep
03-20-2006, 06:45 AM
reread his post. sounds like a lot of pain in the a&&& to me.