PDA

View Full Version : mtb fork>Black Sheep, Steve Potts Type II, other?

SpeedyChix
11-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Looking at putting a non-carbon rigid fork on the 27.5 mtb. This all started because I rode a Black Sheep rigid w/o struts on a friends bike last week, nice. Reminds me of the Logic fork on the 26" bike from pre-suspension era but even more comfy.
Would prefer 15 thru-axle to make wheel swaps easy given existing wheels.

Black Sheep: intrigued as I don't mind the flex and I'm not a big rider, light weight. Hesitate based on some reports of it taking ages to finish things that are ordered (and price).

Potts Type II: reputed to be a great ride. A bit heavier. Lead time? Price could be as much as the Black Sheep.

Custom steel unicrown: if the builder has tapered stays and options based on rider weight, then maybe.

Stock steel: Vicious

Please share you experiences and insight. Also if current $ for the first two are known, please post that too.

joosttx
11-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Check Chris Igleheart's fork which is model after the Fat Chance big one inch

donevwil
11-04-2014, 01:50 PM
The Type II is a pretty incredible fork. The use of a separate. rigid crown that extends down to the blades provides a very rigid, yet forgiving fork that is very customizable. Steve made one for my road bike (below). It is expensive, but the ride (on my road bike) is unlike anything I've experienced before (carbon, typical lugged steel and unicrown).

Kirk Pacenti
11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Hard to beat the Type II.

pbarry
11-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Dean makes a nice Ti MTB fork and they are pretty accomadating with custom requests. You are the ideal rider weight for Ti. ;)

http://www.deanbikes.com/forks.html

p nut
11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Walt Works. I have one (and a matching frame). Ride is great. I'm ~160lbs and most other production forks felt pretty harsh. I have 29x2.4 on this fork and can bomb down most trails without (much) issue (hey, it's still rigid). Fat tire clearance, even for the new 29x3" tires. Pretty good lead time for custom (I believe forks are 6 week wait vs a 6 month on the frame). The dude knows his forks.

pbarry
11-04-2014, 05:33 PM
^^ Agreed. Another great builder to have on your radar. Best deal out there for a segmented steel fork.

don'TreadOnMe
11-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Waltworks w/tapered legs is really tough to beat.

JAGI410
11-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Another vote for Waltworks!

uno-speedo
11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Quite a wait for the Type II fork I believe and north of $500, but worth the wait!

charliedid
11-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Type2 thru-axle. Does it exist?

Dave Ferris
11-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I didn't get the type II but a Fox 100mm, and the wait was 11 months on the Potts 29er. I just received it the first week of Sept. I assume the fork would be less wait.

I believe the Type II is currently at $750. I paid $842 for the Fox. I agonized for quite some time going between the two before finally settling on the cush.

At age 61 (with an arthritic neck) and considering the condition of the trails around here in LA from the extended drought, it was a wise choice, no regrets. But the funny thing is, I'm finding myself riding much more on the road then I thought I would. So in that respect, I wish I'd gone for the rigid type II. The Fox locks out nicely though but not quite the same.

Steve has moved out of his house and his workspace, which was his garage. He's in a much larger work space now. I don't how that will affect the wait time though.

nmrt
11-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I weigh 140-145 lbs. So, please take my experiences based on my weight. I think Dave Kirk says it perfectly that lighter riders prefer the ride of Ti bikes when compared to steel. I think this might apply to forks as well.

I have a Dean Ti 29er SS. It was mated to a Vicious steel fork. I HATED the ride of this bike. The fork was harsh, difficult to maneuver, and jarring over everything.

Then I had James at BS make me a unicrown Ti fork. Turn around time was one month exactly as he promised. My Dean bike is now a super fun handling fun machine. At my weight and power levels I cannot flex the fork. I get more flexing because of the low psi in the tires. The BS fork is plush and light. My bike front end has consequently morphed into a blithe and comfortable race machine.

In conclusion, I feel you would be much better served with Ti fork at your weight.

BTW, I did consider a Dean Ti fork. Both Dean and BS are local to me. But I chose BS simply because I like the unicrown look of the BS better.
Since you asked for the price, the going rate last year for BS unicrown Ti was $650.

p nut
11-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I weigh 140-145 lbs. So, please take my experiences based on my weight. I think Dave Kirk says it perfectly that lighter riders prefer the ride of Ti bikes when compared to steel. I think this might apply to forks as well.

I have a Dean Ti 29er SS. It was mated to a Vicious steel fork. I HATED the ride of this bike. The fork was harsh, difficult to maneuver, and jarring over everything.

Then I had James at BS make me a unicrown Ti fork. Turn around time was one month exactly as he promised. My Dean bike is now a super fun handling fun machine. At my weight and power levels I cannot flex the fork. I get more flexing because of the low psi in the tires. The BS fork is plush and light. My bike front end has consequently morphed into a blithe and comfortable race machine.

In conclusion, I feel you would be much better served with Ti fork at your weight.

BTW, I did consider a Dean Ti fork. Both Dean and BS are local to me. But I chose BS simply because I like the unicrown look of the BS better.
Since you asked for the price, the going rate last year for BS unicrown Ti was $650.

I'd love to try out the BS fork one day. They look so nice. But can't seem to justify another fork purchase when Walt's performs so well.

By the way, I've heard mixed reviews on Vicious forks. Some reported a harsher ride than stock forks, such as Salsa. Never ridden one myself, though.

SpeedyChix
11-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the great feedback

SpeedyChix
11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Have taken a look at some of the other options. Leaning toward a BS ti or else a Type II.

YoKev
11-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I had a Surly fork and upgraded to a Vicious. It was a night and day difference, in a good way!

I haven't ridden any other rigid fork, but I recently did reach out to Geekhouse to see if they could make a segmented fork for me. I was informed that they are currently not making forks unless I would buy a frame.

SpeedyChix
11-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Just picked up a loaner BS fork. Looking forward to seeing how it rides.