PDA

View Full Version : Ok, confess

sfscott
11-03-2014, 08:01 PM
With all the Rapha threads and now the Paul Smith thread, I have to ask.

Who bought a $450 Silca pump? I am sure one of yous did.

foo_fighter
11-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Don't have the Silca, but I do like the looks of the Velowurks pump:
http://wurksglobal.com/prime-floor-pump/ (only 1/3 the cost of the Silca)

bluesea
11-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I will order a Pista next year, GW. I think its foolish not to, seeing how often it gets used.

And yes, I've also ordered some NFS chainlube.

Louis
11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Poke her with the soft cushions!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS49c9KZw8

Steve in SLO
11-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I did not fall for the pump, but I have to confess I did buy a T-shirt.
It is nice.

happycampyer
11-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I did not fall for the pump, but I have to confess I did buy a T-shirt.
It is nice.The Paul Smith t-shirt, or the throwback Silca t-shirt?

Steve in SLO
11-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Silca.

fuzzalow
11-04-2014, 06:12 AM
If I were in the market for a floor pump, I would buy the Silca superpump. If it were to last as long as the Silca I already have, over time it would wind up costing me next to nothing as well as being a neat gadget the grandkids got from grandpa. And I do not yet have grandchildren.

I gotta admit, the Paul Smith t-shirt did make a liar outta me when I said that nobody buys a $175 t-shirt. Then somebody posted a link to a $345 Hermes t-shirt that looked interesting that I could imagine buying in a paroxysm of temporary insanity.

I'm guessing from the look that the Hermes t-shirt is made from a very heavyweight cotton and getting cotton woven that thick while still having a nice silken hand is where the difference lies. C'mon, it's not like Hermes put a logo on a Hanes-quality t-shirt and thought the moneyed suckers would just buy a t-shirt marked up 10,000% for the logo. Hermes is not Varvatos.

Nice looking shirt but rather than buying the shirt, I'll find a way to copy the look for less.

jr59
11-04-2014, 06:17 AM

And yes, I've also ordered some NFS chainlube.

I bought the lube as well ..

Lionel
11-04-2014, 06:21 AM
I gotta admit, the Paul Smith t-shirt did make a liar outta me when I said that nobody buys a $175 t-shirt. Then somebody posted a link to a $345 Hermes t-shirt that looked interesting that I could imagine buying in a paroxysm of temporary insanity.

I posted that link to the Hermes tshirt. I use it to clean my custom Sachs, it's the best way not to scratch the JB paint :)

oldpotatoe
11-04-2014, 06:31 AM
With all the Rapha threads and now the Paul Smith thread, I have to ask.

Who bought a $450 Silca pump? I am sure one of yous did.

Guy who owns a shop looked at it at interbike and he said it was very, very nice. He intends to have one on the floor, sell one, but 2 more..

mktng
11-04-2014, 06:36 AM
I have a Lezyne steel floor drive. In no means am I comparing it to a Silca. But even at $100 I was asking myself... Why..

Fast forward 8 years....

Best pump I've ever owned. Never failed me. I even use it to top up the wheels on my car. Gauge is accurate. Doesn't give under pressure of over usage. Haven't had to replace any parts so far internally, except...the rubber washers within the valve head bit.

I think if this pump ever gives out one me... I'd be interested in the Silca pump :)!

velomonkey
11-04-2014, 07:18 AM
I have not one, but two, serfas pumps downstairs that will no longer clamp on my valves. I can get the tires pumped, but it's a major PINTA.

I flirted with the idea of a slica, for a second, but thought better. $450 is just over the top for me. I put that money into another bike, a merckx, and purchased my groupset off of pace line (Record EPS). I think I made the right choice allbeit spent more than $450.

Might have to go Lezyne for a pump - been happy thus far with all their stuff.

pbarry
11-04-2014, 07:34 AM
I have not one, but two, serfas pumps downstairs that will no longer clamp on my valves. I can get the tires pumped, but it's a major PINTA.

I flirted with the idea of a slica, for a second, but thought better. $450 is just over the top for me. I put that money into another bike, a merckx, and purchased my groupset off of pace line (Record EPS). I think I made the right choice allbeit spent more than $450.

Might have to go Lezyne for a pump - been happy thus far with all their stuff.

A Silca head might fit on the Serfas hose. Worth a shot.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2014, 07:56 AM
A Silca head might fit on the Serfas hose. Worth a shot.

Or a Tanaka or Hirame(tougher to find tho)

I have a Hirame head on my Silca SuperPista and now at the home shop, my kid will use it till he's my age...

gospastic
11-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Had a Tanaka pump head, didn't last very long...what a piece of crap

bking
11-04-2014, 09:01 AM
I caved. its on order.

fuzzalow
11-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I posted that link to the Hermes tshirt. I use it to clean my custom Sachs, it's the best way not to scratch the JB paint :)

You sir, have exquisite taste. And I would wear rags like that anyday. With a workshop rags collection like that found in your abode, who needs the shop at St. Honore.

54ny77
11-04-2014, 09:35 AM
go big or go home.

http://www.airnowcompression.com/index_files/airnow_compressorS.jpg

Steve in SLO
11-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I have a Hirame head on my Silca SuperPista and now at the home shop, my kid will use it till he's my age...
This is what I am using as well. My 35-year-old Silca pump was new life because of a Hirame head. I also have a Lezyne floor pump, but never use it because the Hirame head is so superior.

velomonkey
11-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Here is what I did - competitive cyclist matched probike and sold me a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive for $45. Just link to the probike kit price over chat and they will meet the price.

Then I order the original Hirame head for $60.88 (http://www.amazon.com/KUWAHARA-HIRAME-Pump-Head-Yoko/dp/B003EIIXSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1405508094&sr=1-1&keywords=KUWAHARA+HIRAME).

total price - $105.88

oldguy00
11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Here is what I did - competitive cyclist matched probike and sold me a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive for $45. Just link to the probike kit price over chat and they will meet the price.

Then I order the original Hirame head for $60.88 (http://www.amazon.com/KUWAHARA-HIRAME-Pump-Head-Yoko/dp/B003EIIXSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1405508094&sr=1-1&keywords=KUWAHARA+HIRAME).

total price - $105.88

Thanks a lot. Now I'm ~ $75 poorer.....just ordered. Now, do I chop up the Specialized Air Tool Pro to put this new head onto, or my Lezyne floor drive...

bluesea
11-04-2014, 06:38 PM
This is what I am using as well. My 35-year-old Silca pump was new life because of a Hirame head. I also have a Lezyne floor pump, but never use it because the Hirame head is so superior.

I had a NIP Hirame that I sold not long after familiarizing with the Lezyne threaded pump head. Seems pretty darn accurate (efficient). I have a lower level Classic Floor Drive, and not even 6 mo old and starting to short stroke already.

Steve in SLO
11-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Funny, bluesea, but I just ordered a second Hirame head for my Lezyne pump because I don't like my threaded Lezyne head.
Oh, and I bought extra one for my brothers xmas gift. He also owns a Lezyne pump has not been happy with his pump head.

bluesea
11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
^ Its all good....till I get a Silca. :)

1centaur
11-04-2014, 08:37 PM
I am asking my wife for that Silca pump for Christmas.

Louis
11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I am asking my wife for that Silca pump for Christmas.

In that case, ask Santa Mouse for a replacement chuck, because sooner or later you'll need it.

avalonracing
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't have the Silca, but I do like the looks of the Velowurks pump:
http://wurksglobal.com/prime-floor-pump/ (only 1/3 the cost of the Silca)

That is a nice looking pump!