PDA

View Full Version : Need help from a NYC forum member

scottcw2
03-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I have a rather unique problem (or maybe not so unique). I recently moved to the CA Bay Area from NYC. I put all my furniture, etc., including my bike, in to storage in NY until I get a job and my own place here. I want to start riding the Santa Cruz mtns., so I need to get my bike out here.

Is there anyone in the NYC area who would be willing to take delivery of the bike if I can arrange it with the storage co., then box the frame and wheels to ship to me? Of course, I would pay for all of this.

Thanks much.

Skrawny
03-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I cant help you, but welcome to the West Coast!
Drop me a line if you want to ride in the SF area...
-s

neverraced
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
What you suggest is a logistical, financial, and social nightmare. Spend a couple of hundred on a used beater that will serve as a rain bike when your real bike finally arrives.

scottcw2
03-20-2006, 05:55 PM
What you suggest is a logistical, financial, and social nightmare. Spend a couple of hundred on a used beater that will serve as a rain bike when your real bike finally arrives.

Huh? thanks for a useless reply.

neverraced
03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Let us know how it goes finding someone to go to your warehouse in...where?
And talk to...who?
And then carry? ride? your bike back to their house, take it apart, pack it, ship it to you in CA for...how much?

Giving you a good suggestion to save yourself a lot of grief...but have fun watching everyone else ride.

News Man
03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a rather unique problem (or maybe not so unique). I recently moved to the CA Bay Area from NYC. I put all my furniture, etc., including my bike, in to storage in NY until I get a job and my own place here. I want to start riding the Santa Cruz mtns., so I need to get my bike out here.

Is there anyone in the NYC area who would be willing to take delivery of the bike if I can arrange it with the storage co., then box the frame and wheels to ship to me? Of course, I would pay for all of this.

Thanks much.

Why not contact a bike shop in the area?

OldDog
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
It sounds as though you can arrange for the storage company to deliver the bike to a helping hand.

Have it delivered to a bike shop.

Maybe re-phrase your question, "can anyone recomend a good shop who can take delivery of my bike and pack and ship to me"?

Good luck.

mjbyl
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Not in NYC anymore so can only offer a partial solution:

Larry and Jeff's on the Upper East Side
http://bicyclesnyc.com/index.cfm

will box and ship bikes for a reasonable price (I think they charge $35 to break the bike down and box it).

I guess you now need to figure out how to get the bike to them.

Good luck.

Louis
03-20-2006, 09:30 PM
this is none of my business, but what was so horrible about NR's beater idea?

Samster
03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
nigerian scam :eek:

ok ... kidding ...

but seriously, what's wrong with the beater idea? you could get a nice giant for... like $600, and then either just keep it around, sell it or donate to charity when you get yours in one batch with your other stuff. a little more expensive, maybe but a lot fewer headaches to be sure.

scottcw2
03-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Giving you a good suggestion to save yourself a lot of grief...but have fun watching everyone else ride.

I will have fun riding and ignore your "good" suggestion.