PDA

View Full Version : Removing seized barrel adjusters

sandyrs
11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I recently ordered a set of Dave Kirk's brass barrel adjusters because I feared mine may have seized. I was right, and now I can't get them out, at least not by the simple method (clamping them and turning). Steel frame, presumably aluminum adjusters. Has anyone encountered and overcome this issue?

Hat
11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
I would try a penetrating oil like PB Blaster and then a pair of vice grips after letting it all sit for a couple days.

unterhausen
11-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I have a frame awaiting repair with this issue. My plan was to try an easy-out. Drilling with a left handed drill bit is the next step.

Dave Wages
11-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I've drilled plenty of these out of frames over the years. One of the nice things about barrel adjusters is that they already have a hole perfectly centered, so drilling them is pretty easy. I always just used a standard drill bit, (no need for left hand drill bits), and just pulse the drill gently so you don't blow through it super fast and damage the paint on the down tube, especially if the barrel adjusters are aluminum, a drill bit will go through that super fast. Often, as I start to drill it will unscrew the remaining barrel as I go.

One thing to think about, if you are using a standard drill bit, then it might make sense to carefully cut the large head of the adjuster off before drilling so that if it does start threading itself into the braze on the head won't bottom out and damage any paint.

Good luck,
Dave

zmudshark
11-04-2014, 01:34 PM
I've drilled plenty of these out of frames over the years. One of the nice things about barrel adjusters is that they already have a hole perfectly centered, so drilling them is pretty easy. I always just used a standard drill bit, (no need for left hand drill bits), and just pulse the drill gently so you don't blow through it super fast and damage the paint on the down tube, especially if the barrel adjusters are aluminum, a drill bit will go through that super fast. Often, as I start to drill it will unscrew the remaining barrel as I go.

One thing to think about, if you are using a standard drill bit, then it might make sense to carefully cut the large head of the adjuster off before drilling so that if it does start threading itself into the braze on the head won't bottom out and damage any paint.

Good luck,
Dave

Great advice.

sandyrs
11-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Good luck,
Dave

I feel a little dense reading this, but I can't figure out if in your description, you're drilling clockwise or counterclockwise. If the adjuster unscrews itself while drilling, that sounds like it's turning counterclockwise, but if there's danger of the barrel head hitting the braze-on, that sounds like the adjuster is turning clockwise.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. That goes for the above two as well!

Dave Wages
11-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I feel a little dense reading this, but I can't figure out if in your description, you're drilling clockwise or counterclockwise. If the adjuster unscrews itself while drilling, that sounds like it's turning counterclockwise, but if there's danger of the barrel head hitting the braze-on, that sounds like the adjuster is turning clockwise.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. That goes for the above two as well!

I've only ever done this drilling clockwise, so if the barrel adjuster does start unscrewing, it'll be going out toward the down tube rather than backing out the way it screwed in. Some braze ons are not open on the bottom (DT) side, so in that case you may need to get a left hand drill, but I've never had to do this.

Hope that helps?
Dave

sandyrs
11-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I've only ever done this drilling clockwise, so if the barrel adjuster does start unscrewing, it'll be going out toward the down tube rather than backing out the way it screwed in. Some braze ons are not open on the bottom (DT) side, so in that case you may need to get a left hand drill, but I've never had to do this.

Hope that helps?
Dave

That clears it up completely. Thank you! My confusion comes from the fact that my braze-on is closed on the bottom, with only enough room for the cable to pass through. Looks like I'll be borrowing a left-handed drill bit.