PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day for Car and Humor Lovers

Richard
11-03-2014, 03:55 PM
http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77

Had contests with my friends to see if any of us could beat them to the diagnosis punch. Funny, smart guy.

vqdriver
11-03-2014, 03:57 PM
just read that story myself. really sad to hear of his passing. what a wonderful show to pass a weekend hour. this is turning out to be a rough year.

texbike
11-03-2014, 04:02 PM
That is really sad to hear. Funny guys!

Texbike

John Price
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Tom's laugh was so infectious. I'll miss him a lot.

dnades
11-03-2014, 04:18 PM
bummer. Wife and I listen to them every saturday morning while we make breakfast and drink tea. Such and uplifting show in today's times. Great fun. I'll miss him.

echelon_john
11-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Between Menino and now this, my world is rocked.

Please don't let Bobby Orr or Larry Bird die this week.

RIP Tom—you were one smart, funny son of a gun.

eddief
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
as a career counselor, I often think hard about what I and other people do for work and what they contribute to the world. What a great gig they made for themselves and a fine and fun contribution to the world.

bcroslin
11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
RIP Tom you funny bastard. this news puts their sudden stepping away from producing original shows a few years ago into perspective. guessing Tom was diagnosed around that time and that's why they pulled the plug.

I witnessed a friend succumb to brain cancer recently and watching his dramatic slide into oblivion was terrible. I wouldn't wish alzheimer's on my worst enemy.

guido
11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
He will be missed! This has been a hard, hard year for this sort of going on...

Keith A
11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Haven't listened to these guys in a while, but have done so in the past...always enjoyed their show. Sad news indeed.

gasman
11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Sad news indeed. I was just listening to them on Saturday (well a rerun or not previously aired show). He will be missed. I wonder if that was the reason they stopped the show.

slidey
11-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm remembering him by listening to this - http://video.mit.edu/watch/1999-mit-commencement-exercises-raymond-and-thomas-magliozzi-guest-speakers-6713/

laupsi
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Click & Clack, along w/Jon Miller..., just a few of my favorite radio personalities!

dustyrider
11-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Stunned! Can't count how many hours clicked by on the road thanks to these two. Always a wonderful game to see who had the right diagnosis....sad.

soulspinner
11-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Used to spend Sundays cleaning my house listening to them. Its one of the reasons I evaluate cars for the place I work.....they taught me while keeping me interested with their humor.

dave thompson
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
If you have XM radio, their re-runs are on 3 hours a day on channel 121.

pbarry
11-03-2014, 09:08 PM
A life well lived, and shared with so many. I'll miss him and wish I'd called in just once, especially in my vintage Volvo days. Long live Tom!

rwsaunders
11-03-2014, 09:27 PM
I received this text from my daughter today..."say a prayer, Tom M. of Car Talk passed away, saw it on the NPR website." They had her laughing when she was eleven and she didn't even know what they were talking about. Sad day for intellectual humor for sure.

Hawker
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
I've been laughing at and with these guys for thirty years. I was the program director at an NPR station when they started and at the time adding a "car repair" program was waaaay outside the box. What a fantastic program with wonderfully talented guys. RIP Tom.

wc1934
11-03-2014, 09:55 PM
The good news garage won't be the same . I have squander many hours listening to Tom and Ray and it was so enjoyable - Don't drive like my brother - RIP Tom

commonguy001
11-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Very sad... RIP Tom you were a great one to spend the morning with.

My wife and I caught a couple hours being replayed on satellite radio on our way home from Glacier NP and even though it was from 2003 it was as good as it ever was.

Great article too, thanks for sharing

victoryfactory
11-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Sad to hear...

I remember Tom telling a girl who was worried about driving an old Toyota
across the country to fool the car by just putting in $2. worth of gas at a
time so it wouldn't catch on.

Those guys were the best.

A prayer for Ray and the rest of the family

thwart
11-04-2014, 10:14 AM
I remember Tom telling a girl who was worried about driving an old Toyota
across the country to fool the car by just putting in $2. worth of gas at a
time so it wouldn't catch on.
Ha! Love it.

He'll certainly be missed.

Dead Man
11-04-2014, 10:15 AM
RIP

On the other hand, maybe I'll be able to listen to NPR on Sunday mornings, now... (f'ing hated Car Tawk)

redir
11-04-2014, 10:16 AM
I will miss him greatly. He was such a down to earth personality who could really make you feel like he was a friend. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and I hope it can be eradicated some day. To take such a beautiful mind away it's just terrible.

saf-t
11-04-2014, 10:28 AM
We were in a local restaurant eating at a table next to Tom, Ray, and the family a few months ago, and had to try really hard not to laugh out loud at the conversation- even off air they were hilarious. I'll miss hearing him.

Johnnyg
11-04-2014, 11:00 AM
RIP Tom. Don't drive like my brother.

pjmsj21
11-04-2014, 11:35 AM
What a great legacy to leave behind....we should all be so lucky.

slidey
11-04-2014, 12:18 PM
On the other hand, maybe I'll be able to listen to NPR on Sunday mornings, now... (f'ing hated Car Tawk)

That's a first - someone hating Car Talk!

Oh well, I'm waiting for the day when Terry Gross is shoved off air - I can't stand her drivel drone of a voice while she hobnobs with some of the most pointlessly vain people.

Car Talk/Wait Wait/Radiolab was/is my weekend of indulgence.

OtayBW
11-04-2014, 12:54 PM
In a decade-and-a-half of listening to Tom and Ray, I can honestly say that there was not a single time that I can recall NOT breaking out into a full belly laugh. Love these guys. So sorry to see Tom go. Now we know why he could never remember last week's Puzzler!

RIP Tom.

p nut
11-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Sad to hear the news on NPR yesterday. I had no idea Tom was an MIT and Northwestern grad.

Exonerv
11-04-2014, 05:41 PM
For me, Car Talk was consistently one of the most entertaining programs ever. I've rarely missed a week of the show after discovering it about 15 years ago.

The re-runs from the past year have contained some great shows. Check out shows #1429 (Click & Clack VS Electric Brakes) and #1430 (The Andy Letter) if you missed them this summer. If you don't laugh, you need fixin.

Tom & Ray had a great run and seem to have found the ideal gig. Their often self-deprecating humor was loved by everyone (with the exception of Melissa Peterson - #1421: My dog hates you too)

I expect I'll continue to listen to the re-runs as long as they are aired, because much like Ray, I can never remember last week's puzzler anyway. Here's to a life well lived and the humor he shared with his many fans.

Louis
11-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I think at first it might be a bit strange to listen to a guy who's died so recently.

pbarry
11-04-2014, 06:19 PM
RIP

Weak backhand for an epitaph. Assured here that TM did not miss you not listening. :hello:

Louis
11-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Weak backhand for an epitaph. Assured here that TM did not miss you not listening. :hello:

Plus, the show will go on.

mkbk
11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Bravo to click & clack! They constantly entertained, amused and informed me throughout my adult life. One program finished me for buying used cars: a guy did his own oil changes, he drained and ran the engine for 30 seconds to get the last bit of old oil out! The brothers were laughing sooooo much! They couldn't stop, they kept bringing up other things we knuckle heads do to our cars, all while laughing and enjoying and sharing. Re-runs rule!

SpokeValley
11-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I love the staff credits at the end of the shows! Always crack me up.

Seat cover inspector: Mike Keester
Complaint Department: Heywood Jabuzzoff
etc, etc, etc

:)

OtayBW
11-04-2014, 09:29 PM
weak backhand for an epitaph. Assured here that tm did not miss you not listening. :hello:
Really.

callt5
11-05-2014, 12:02 AM
On a cross country road trip learned the proper technique to properly set both outside rear view mirrors while listening to their show. Definitely worked and makes a huge difference. That was 2003. Every time I adjust rear view mirrors I think of those two. Sad day indeed.

mcteague
11-05-2014, 07:01 AM
I love the staff credits at the end of the shows! Always crack me up.

Seat cover inspector: Mike Keester
Complaint Department: Heywood Jabuzzoff
etc, etc, etc

:)

Actually, that is when I switched channels until Wait, wait, don't tell me would come on. The first time or two, it was cute, but they kept adding and adding to the "credits" and it got tiresome IMO. Loved the main part of the show though.

Tim