PDA

View Full Version : homegrown cassettes?

CNY rider
03-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Anyone here building their own Shimano cassette combos by starting with a full cassette and substituting individual sprockets as suggested by Sheldon
Brown?
I'd like to make my own 13-30 cassette by starting with a 12-27, losing the 12, adding a 30 on the large side.

Should be possible, no?

Ahneida Ride
03-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Visit the Sheldon Brown site or Harris Cyclery.

They make a few custom cassetts including a Shimano 13-30.

CNY rider
03-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually the idea came from Sheldon's website.

His pre-made 13-30 is $90.

I just spent at least 3 hours figuring out that I could do it myself, for a total of $78.

It's interesting psychology, isn't it? I won't get into what I make an hour at work, but let''s just say my time there is much better compensated. Why am I now so happy that I just earned the equivelent of $4 an hour for 3 hours work? Is it because I now can do something on my own that i couldn't do before (or more accurately didn't have the kowledge to do)? Or is it all about saving $12? What do our econo types think?

And BTW I bought most of the goodies from the Harris website, so don't be *****in' about freeloading..... :D

Argos
03-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Your happy because you can say you did it yourself, and it was fun and interesting... If anyone asks, you can say you did it yourself. You do not have to mention the part about the costs, 'cause that is not what's important.

Good for you!

palincss
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Anyone here building their own Shimano cassette combos by starting with a full cassette and substituting individual sprockets as suggested by Sheldon
Brown?
I'd like to make my own 13-30 cassette by starting with a 12-27, losing the 12, adding a 30 on the large side.

Should be possible, no?

Possible, sure - that's pretty much how Sheldon makes the Century Special. However, you did leave one thing out: you need to lose both the 12 and the 13, and replace the 13 with a 1st position 13. Slip the 30t behind the 27, and you're good to go.

Last time I replaced a cassette (I use the 13-30 Century Special on 3 bikes) I bought a new 12-27 and had the LBS swap the 13 and the 30 off the old one, exactly as described above. Since I ride mostly on the middle of the cassette, the 13 and the 30 ought to be good for a long, long time.