PDA

View Full Version : Campy Compatability Question

msl819
11-02-2014, 10:00 PM
I bought a bike that is running Chorus 9. I was cleaning the drivetrain tonight and was surprised to see it was running a Shimano HG93 chain. Is this an issue or will Campy 9 and Shimano 9 interface fine as far as chains?

Also, while I am asking. I will be going through all the 9 Speed stuff getting it polished and pretty this winter. For buying chains, cassettes, and chain rings, can these still be source easily new and what is a good source? My LBS has gone the way of a gun shop.

ceewho
11-02-2014, 10:31 PM
It's probably fine, but they may not recommend it. For my 10 speed campy I run a Shimano chain, and my wrench said its fine. I have a sram 971 on my campy 9 speed.

rustychisel
11-02-2014, 10:51 PM
My LBS has gone the way of a gun shop.

eh?

Shot through? Pulled the trigger on itself? 'boomboom (out go the lights)?

msl819
11-02-2014, 11:05 PM
eh?

Shot through? Pulled the trigger on itself? 'boomboom (out go the lights)?

No... Owner found a way to make more money. Can't blame him but not much of a bike shop anymore. To the point that if it is not on the shelf he will tell you to check online first for better prices.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2014, 05:35 AM
I bought a bike that is running Chorus 9. I was cleaning the drivetrain tonight and was surprised to see it was running a Shimano HG93 chain. Is this an issue or will Campy 9 and Shimano 9 interface fine as far as chains?

Also, while I am asking. I will be going through all the 9 Speed stuff getting it polished and pretty this winter. For buying chains, cassettes, and chain rings, can these still be source easily new and what is a good source? My LBS has gone the way of a gun shop.

9s chains are 9s chains..all are intercompatible. Campagnolo, KMC, shimano, even spam.

9s stuff is readily available...the bike shop guy is being lazy..margin is margin..he 'should' carry consumables..go in, wave and say adios..

msl819
11-03-2014, 08:22 AM
9s chains are 9s chains..all are intercompatible. Campagnolo, KMC, shimano, even spam.

9s stuff is readily available...the bike shop guy is being lazy..margin is margin..he 'should' carry consumables..go in, wave and say adios..

Where would be the best place online to look? Closest place to me is 45 miles.

Dr Luxurious
11-03-2014, 09:40 AM
9s chains are 9s chains..all are intercompatible. Campagnolo, KMC, shimano, even spam

yep. chains are chains as long as the width is right (and/or pitch but that doesn't matter here)
I've been running mixed 9 bits for years (since 9 was new!!) with no problems.

all kinds of 9sp chains can be found online. just grab one from whomever has the best price. I troll ebay for NOS / NIB Campy C9 chains...

oldpotatoe
11-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Where would be the best place online to look? Closest place to me is 45 miles.

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I don't use online places...former bike shop owner.

Ken Robb
11-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I suppose searching Amazon would give you many choices.

Ralph
11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I usually make up an order for a years worth of chains, cassettes, wires and housing, other parts etc, and order from Ribble in UK.

But NASHBAR.COM has some real good prices online as well. For all kinds of cycling related stuff. I almost get a new ad each day from them.