PDA

View Full Version : Mini V Brakes: Paul vs TRP

campy man
11-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Looking to make the jump from canti to mini V brakes. I'm hearing the Paul Mini Moto and TRP CX9/8.4 are good choices.

Any feedback on either choice and compatibility with Campy Ergo shifters?

vqdriver
11-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Can't speak to the pauls or even the trp since I haven't installed them yet. But for campy you're looking at the 8.4

Steve in SLO
11-02-2014, 11:52 PM
If you are just dipping your toes in mini-vs, don't overlook the Tektro models: I have used both the the 926A and RX-5 on my cyclocross bikes, and both are great brakes. They will set you back less than $50 for a bikes worth.

AustinHorse
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
I've used all 3. Only the Paul's are built for the long haul. Consider the cheapies to bea consumable on par with a set of tires for the season. The trp fancy deals are still just cast and then machined. The metal is soft enough for the tensioning screw to rip the threads out of the arm. The Paul's are certainly the most reliable and easiest to tune at the end of the day.

dbh
11-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I run 8.4s with campy 10 speed. A few things to take into account when transitioning from cantis: the stopping power is very high but you give up the modulation with cantis, your wheels need to be perfectly true given the distance between pads and rim, and wheel changes can be finicky depending on rim width etc. The 8.4s work very well with campy. As for durability, I've had them for a season and haven't had any problems.

donevwil
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I run 8.4s with campy 10 speed. A few things to take into account when transitioning from cantis: the stopping power is very high but you give up the modulation with cantis, your wheels need to be perfectly true given the distance between pads and rim, and wheel changes can be finicky depending on rim width etc. The 8.4s work very well with campy. As for durability, I've had them for a season and haven't had any problems.

I run the Paul's on old gen Campy 10 and have the same experience as dbh with the TRP's, very powerful, but lack of modulation can catch you off guard. My bike with the Mini-Motos is the only bike I've ever unintentionally locked up the rear and it's happened more than once.

eBAUMANN
11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
i have to say, everything about the setup and adjustment of TRP brakes kinda infuriates me. All of the bolts are designed to be super light and thus super not-durable, take a look at any set of used TRP brakes and I can promise you that there will be tool marks all over every adjustment point.

Every bolt on a paul brake is steel.

Also, a set of TRP Revox (granted, not a mini v) has FIVE bolts/points of adjustment on EACH SIDE. Thats 10 things to fiddle with every time you set them up and at least 4 to fiddle with every time you change wheels.

Paul mini motos have FIVE bolts to adjust, TOTAL. Both sides, 5 bolts.

This fact entertains me to no end.

brando
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM
TRP 8.4s are great. I used them on a cross bike I dual-purposed as a road bike with slicks and they have great stopping power and the modulation is good, a huge upgrade from cantis. I barely ever needed to adjust them.

I'm selling a set of RED TRP CX 8.4 locally for $70. Will sell for $70 shipped, incl paypal to the forum.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bop/4739542259.html

cinema
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I have an RX5 front brake on my cross bike and it STOPS MY ASS. Way better than any canti and I've had many. Never looking back. The mini-motos look bad ass and if any of them came up used at a great price I'd jump on it for the bling factor. The lever feel isn't perfect. Nothing will feel or modulate like a good side pull caliper brake.

The brake pads on the rx5 are loud, though, and I'll eventually replace them with something better.

Steve in SLO
11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
A little toe-in on the RX5s will do wonders for both modulation and squeal.

foon
11-03-2014, 07:01 PM
I've had cx8.4 and the super cheap 926al. The 926als modulate better and still have tons of power. The 80mm arms on the 926al gives a bit more rim clearance than most other mini-Vs as well. I run them loose and have no problem doing one finger braking down LA's many canyon roads.

Steve in SLO
11-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I've had cx8.4 and the super cheap 926al. The 926als modulate better and still have tons of power. The 80mm arms on the 926al gives a bit more rim clearance than most other mini-Vs as well. I run them loose and have no problem doing one finger braking down LA's many canyon roads.

I think foon hits it here : if you're going to run mini-vs, you have to get used to 1 to 2 finger braking under most circumstances, rather than the grabbing a handful/praying you would do with cantis.

mtechnica
11-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I have the 8.4's and my friend has the pauls. They're both nice looking and seem to work well. I don't think the modulation on on either are comparable to road calipers but they are very powerful. The tektros I installed for someone seemed decent but not as powerful as the 8.4

jdp211
11-04-2014, 06:51 AM
I have a set of the Pauls and a set of the TRPs both on Campy 11. I raced the TRPs all last season and performance-wise, they're great, but haven't been the most durable. I just set up the Pauls a week or two ago, but haven't had the chance to actually test them. They were definitely easier to set up and feel like they'll hold up to the rigors of CX better. Next opportunity I have, I'll be replacing the TRPs with Pauls.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Looking to make the jump from canti to mini V brakes. I'm hearing the Paul Mini Moto and TRP CX9/8.4 are good choices.

Any feedback on either choice and compatibility with Campy Ergo shifters?

8.4 and they work great but as has been mentioned, TRP stuff is somewhat fragile.

Paul almost twice the $ at some sort of MSRP..if you can get a 'deal' on Paul, I'd get them.

druptight
11-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Dip your toes in with some RX5's. They're $30 for a pair online with a simple google search, then another $15 to replace the pads. I'm on my 2nd season using them on my commuter (probably close to 2000 miles) and no issues aside from the finicky squeal on the front which I've gotten better at adjusting out. They don't seem particularly "fragile" as mentioned above with the TRPs and they're stealth black.

catchourbreath
11-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm on my second cross season with the same TRPs and haven't had any problems. I'm sure the Paul's will last your longer, but that wouldn't really surprise me given the price and quality.

nooneline
11-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Also, a set of TRP Revox (granted, not a mini v) has FIVE bolts/points of adjustment on EACH SIDE. Thats 10 things to fiddle with every time you set them up and at least 4 to fiddle with every time you change wheels.

Paul mini motos have FIVE bolts to adjust, TOTAL. Both sides, 5 bolts.

This fact entertains me to no end.

Yeah, I've also found many of TRP's models to require pretty regular servicing, and to be pretty light, race-oriented gear.

But I think you're just comparing cantis to mini-v's, here, not TRP to Paul. for example, TRP's cx8.4s also have threaded pads, so each arm has two points of adjustment (the threaded pad, for alignment and toe,) and the tension screw - and then the whole system has the cable anchor bolt, obviously.

For the RevoX I'm not sure how you're counting 5 points of adjustment on each arm. I only see 3 - pad holder, inline pad (toe-in), and tension adjuster - and that comes from using post-style pads rather than threaded ones.

bshell
11-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Using the CX-9 here with Campy because they hadn't come out with the 8.4s at that time.

Super easy to set up. Rims do need to be true but shouldn't they always be?

Great braking power w/o any modulation issues. Would never use a canti brake again.

Incidentally, all of the bolts on these are steel and nothing has been fragile. Do they actually make brakes w/alloy bolts out there as suggested a few posts above? That seems like a silly place for Al.

mtechnica
11-04-2014, 01:08 PM
I also don't understand the fragility comments wrt the 8.4, they seem completely fine and people complaining about the bolts must not know how to use an Allen wrench

eBAUMANN
11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I also don't understand the fragility comments wrt the 8.4, they seem completely fine and people complaining about the bolts must not know how to use an Allen wrench

sorry you are right, the 8.4's are an exception...speaking mostly about the eurox and revox, which have light alloy hardware and are a pain in the ass to adjust...kinda just turned me off to TRP as a brand.

staggerwing
11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I know they don't sell the same models, but aren't TRP and Tektro the same company, kinda like Lincoln and Ford?

Wish there were road levers available whereby the mechanical advantage could be adjusted. I know there were some MTB levers with that feature. Increasing the distance between the pivot and cable end on the lever end would decrease mechanical advantage, increase pad to rim clearance, and improve modulation.

Yeah, I know there is the Travel Agent.

eBAUMANN
11-04-2014, 02:10 PM
I know they don't sell the same models, but aren't TRP and Tektro the same company, kinda like Lincoln and Ford?

Wish there were road levers available whereby the mechanical advantage could be adjusted. I know there were some MTB levers with that feature. Increasing the distance between the pivot and cable end on the lever end would decrease mechanical advantage, increase pad to rim clearance, and improve modulation.

Yeah, I know there is the Travel Agent.

TRP = tektro racing products

eBAUMANN
11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
For the RevoX I'm not sure how you're counting 5 points of adjustment on each arm. I only see 3 - pad holder, inline pad (toe-in), and tension adjuster - and that comes from using post-style pads rather than threaded ones.

Paul has the best designed brakes on the market, IMO. Easy/fast to setup and adjust and they just work.
More points of adjustment = more points of failure

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/15092376683_e9801d7e7e_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7518/15526888730_0b27db34b7_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7496/15711746385_4f5c06ee9a_b.jpg

staggerwing
11-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Help a confused fella out...aren't points 1 and 9 on the RevoX simply to hold the brake body to the canti stud, save as any other brake, and not really an independent point of adjustment. From what I see, points 2 and 8 set the retraction spring tension, yes, while Pauls have their adjustment built into points 1 and 2.

I have no doubt that Pauls makes a fine product, but I only see one additional degree of freedom on the RevoX, and that points 4 and 6, which allow for setting vertical height, something I would think would be a set once and forget it type of operation. Something I'm missing here?

eBAUMANN
11-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Help a confused fella out...aren't points 1 and 9 on the RevoX simply to hold the brake body to the canti stud, save as any other brake, and not really an independent point of adjustment. From what I see, points 2 and 8 set the retraction spring tension, yes, while Pauls have their adjustment built into points 1 and 2.

I have no doubt that Pauls makes a fine product, but I only see one additional degree of freedom on the RevoX, and that points 4 and 6, which allow for setting vertical height, something I would think would be a set once and forget it type of operation. Something I'm missing here?

i count the main mounting bolts because the trp brakes still use the little holes on the canti bosses to set spring tension.

also, a weakness of the TRP system is that they depend on a specific canti post length in order to tighten down properly. I have a bike with revox's on it and there is a little front to back play in the brake arm on one side of the rear...and the thing lets you know it (squeals). I held the arm to test this theory while riding and the thing does in fact vibrate when actuated.

anyways...many people like trp stuff and use it without any problems...i am merely suggesting (or declaring i guess haha) that the DESIGN of paul brakes is superior, in my humble opinion/experience.

brando
11-04-2014, 03:24 PM
sorry you are right, the 8.4's are an exception...speaking mostly about the eurox and revox, which have light alloy hardware and are a pain in the ass to adjust...kinda just turned me off to TRP as a brand.

Ah ok, for a second I thought I was missing something. The CX 8.4s have held up just fine for me.

staggerwing
11-04-2014, 03:31 PM
anyways...many people like trp stuff and use it without any problems...i am merely suggesting (or declaring i guess haha) that the DESIGN of paul brakes is superior, in my humble opinion/experience.

Not for a second doubting the Pauls are a superior design, just trying to get unconfused.

I've noticed both the TRP and tektro designs are sensitive to canti stud length. Would much rather see a bearing or bushing on the brake body proer, whereby the inner race can be fully cinched to the canti stud. From what I gather, the Pauls are of this design?

eBAUMANN
11-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Not for a second doubting the Pauls are a superior design, just trying to get unconfused.

I've noticed both the TRP and tektro designs are sensitive to canti stud length. Would much rather see a bearing or bushing on the brake body proer, whereby the inner race can be fully cinched to the canti stud. From what I gather, the Pauls are of this design?

yep, the paul brakes have a sleeve that slides into the brake arm and over the canti stud, effectively creating a new mounting point for the brake arms and ensuring that no matter the length of the canti post, the brake will always mount and adjust the same.

rockdoc
11-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Paul Mini Motos are available individually, which means you can run cantis in back and Paul up front. That looks like a good way to go. That's what I'll do if I hang onto my cross bike.

donevwil
11-04-2014, 04:28 PM
yep, the paul brakes have a sleeve that slides into the brake arm and over the canti stud, effectively creating a new mounting point for the brake arms and ensuring that no matter the length of the canti post, the brake will always mount and adjust the same.

If one's canti equipped bike uses Paragon's threaded brake bosses (mine did) Paragon offers a Paul specific replacement stud that eliminates the sleeve referred to above, leading to a noticeably stiffer and more positive setup.

I made the change on the front of my CX bike, just because, and was amazed that I actually felt the benefit.

kmla320
11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I talked to Paul today,Have Neo Retro on the front with Touring Canti on the back
of an IF planet x.He said just put a Mini-Moto on the front and that would stop better.

pinkshogun
11-04-2014, 10:04 PM
do Mini Motos need to be close to the rim like mini vees to work well

nooneline
11-05-2014, 08:41 AM
do Mini Motos need to be close to the rim like mini vees to work well

yes, mini motos are mini-vs.

weightshift
12-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Adding to this thread: I built up a new IF Planet X last year with TRP CX8.4s (SRAM) having come off Paul Neo-Retros. I knew going into it, that the TRP mini-v's would be super grabby and they have proven thus.

I've read a smidgen of anecdotes about how Mini-Motos are a good mix of that modulation plus stopping power and I'm considering a switch for some gravel/adventure style races here in the Bay Area (the Grasshopper series and the SuperPro series). Would you find that the MiniMotos do indeed give that more modulated feel over 8.4s?

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
either brake would only ned to last long enough until my cx gets replaced with disc

hahahaha

seriously, 4 seasons racing on TRP 8.4 no issues