PDA

View Full Version : handlebar help

wisdom-doc
03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Has anyone got experience with the b2 H-bar from ZIPP? I'm building an Ottrott(my dream bike) and its completion is being held up awaiting its arrival, My LBS has highly recomended it but I'm becoming impatient and am considering an FSA K-wing. Any help is appreciated.

Jay Torborg
03-17-2004, 10:33 PM
No experience with the ZIPP bar, but you might also consider the Stella Azzurra Tirreno carbon bar. Similar to the FSA K-Wing but a little classier (also pricier). A perfect match for the Ottrott. One of the best cycling products I've ever bought.

Spinner
03-18-2004, 10:30 AM
went to your website. you stud. what a challenge and what an adventure.

i may be able to cheer you on at some point while crossing indiana.

all the best in this incredible undertaking.

NateM
03-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I have had a Zipp bar on my Calfee for the last season.What is it that you would like to know? I dont know what the H designation you included means, is this different from the model B2 on their website?

wisdom-doc
03-18-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. The H was just short for handle . My inquiry was to get an overall sense of whether the Zipp b2 bar was worth waiting for or if one of the other ergonomically designed carbon bars was as good or better. I understand the reply involves subjectivity but I find most of the opinions on this board helpful. Thanks.

Jay Torborg
03-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Headset -

Thanks for the words of encouragement. By the time I get to Indiana I'll either be in great shape or a basket case, but either way I'd love to meet up with you.

- Jay

NateM
03-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry when I reread your post I realized the H- was for Handlebar. I have been using the bar (42 on center) on my Calfee with Record 10 levers.The bars have a semi ergo bend to them which allows me more than one grip when in the drops.The top flats of the bar have an airfoil like shape.Double grooves for cables so they wrap front and back if you use Campy.I find the bars to be stiff enough for me but not as stiff as the Easton EC90.I weigh 144lbs and dont stress the bars hard when sprinting.Like most carbon bars they absorb small road vibrations.Sort of a glowing review so far.Now here are my negative issues.The bars have a titanium mesh wrap where the lever clamps are to be mounted.The Campy levers need to be mounted above this reinforcement in order to be level on the hoods.You could mount the levers on the mesh but then you would have to rotate the bar so the tails point down,way down.The cable grooves start near the mesh so by moving the levers up they dont align well with the grooves.I spoke to Zipp about these issues and they said the bar was strong enough outside of the mesh.STI might work a little better.If you would like to see my solution to running Campy Levers (positioning of bars) e-mail me at nhm@cbsnews.com and I will zap you a photo. I have used Easton EC90,Modolo Curvissima,3TTT More,Kestrel Pro.Bars are like saddles in that what works for me may not work for you.Too bad they are so expensive and hard to swap and test.

saab2000
03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Mr NateM,

How did you like the Modolos? I have a one waiting for a frame I expect next week. I still do not know which stem will work best with it.

Any suggestions or tips or feedback on that bar? I think I like the shape which is why I got it.

Thanks

NateM
03-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I liked the fit ,feel in the drops on the Modolo bar .It is another bar with a modified ergo shape (not a pronounced bump). I hated the outward curve on the tops.They angle your wrists so that your elbows want to stick out. I initially thought this was ok ,a reminder to keep an open chest while climbing. But I prefer to keep my wrists straight on the tops and that finally made me say no to them. They have a really tiny print (warning void warranty) on them telling you to NOT use a open face clamp on your stem.

saab2000
03-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I like the old Cinelli 65 bars which have a similar outward bend. I hope I like my Modolos.

If you cannot used a stem with an open faceplate, what does that leave me with?

Which stems would be appropriate?

Thanks

NateM
03-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Stems? Ritchie Comp/Easton EC70/Thompson/3TTT Forgie/Zepp
most have 2 bolt solid face plate.

saab2000
03-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by NateM
Stems? Ritchie Comp/Easton EC70/Thompson/3TTT Forgie/Zepp
most have 2 bolt solid face plate.

After I thought about it I remembered that there are a lot good solid face plate stems out there. I will be looking for one for the Modolo bars. I had wanted to go with a Ritchey WCS or Deda Newton, but I will find something that works.

Thanks