PDA

View Full Version : OT: why Yahoo content opens slowly on my computer

eddief
11-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I am running Windows 7, Explorer 9 and use Yahoo as a place to get breaking news. Really often when I click on an item from the home page news list, it loads incredibly slowly or locks up my browser.

As an example, here is very recent news story (yes Wendy Davis) that took 3 slow tries to be able to read it:

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-davis-survive-defeat-111650075--election.html

Maybe it is operating system or maybe McAfee - which I hate. Or maybe Yahoo just can't serve it up fast enough. Bugs the crap out of me.

Wondering if a few of you would give it a try and describe your experience.

biker72
11-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm using Chrome with Windows 7.
The page opened up instantly for me.

eddief
11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I just reinstalled Chrome and it is instantaneous. ··· with Explorer?

rePhil
11-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Works tine with Safari.

dave thompson
11-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Ditch Explorer and McAfee both. Replace with Firefox for your browser and AVG products for your security and computer performance.

makoti
Tried in both Chrome & IE. Both opened in a flash.

pbarry
Time to update, or, find another way to squeak prohibited content into the forum. ;)

eddief
11-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Is still dedicated to explorer. Will check out avg.

Ditch Explorer and McAfee both. Replace with Firefox for your browser and AVG products for your security and computer performance.

dvs cycles
11-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I am running Windows 7, Explorer 9 and use Yahoo as a place to get breaking news. Really often when I click on an item from the home page news list, it loads incredibly slowly or locks up my browser.

As an example, here is very recent news story (yes Wendy Davis) that took 3 slow tries to be able to read it:

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-davis-survive-defeat-111650075--election.html

Maybe it is operating system or maybe McAfee - which I hate. Or maybe Yahoo just can't serve it up fast enough. Bugs the crap out of me.

Wondering if a few of you would give it a try and describe your experience.

Try upgrading to IE-11.
You are too close to IE8 I use with XP and can't go any higher so I use chrome whenever I have issues with some sites.

Scooper
11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Opened instantly for me. I'm using Firefox and AVG Antivirus.

dgauthier
11-02-2014, 10:45 PM
I just reinstalled Chrome and it is instantaneous. ··· with Explorer?

I was posting some advice and saw your update. Yuck. Maybe try talking your work into using Macs?

eddief
11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
not sure why Explorer is such a POS on my computer, but gotta say, Chrome for most stuff, is a godsend. yahoo!

fkelly
11-11-2014, 08:30 AM
If your IT department is supporting IE 9.x and Mcafee, there are probably hundreds of other things wrong too. IE9 is years old. Mcafee is crapware. Mcafee pays Adobe to try to sneak it onto users PC's when they run an update for Acrobat reader and they pay PC companies to install Mcafee on new computers even when anti-virus software comes built in to Windows 8.1 on new computers. If you have access to to add/remove programs and uninstall Mcafee entirely. Use Chrome or Firefox if you can and keep them updated.

Go to control panel, Windows updates if you have access and look for pending updates. Just a guess but I bet you have hundreds of pending updates for Windows 7 that your IT department is clueless about. Many of them will update features you don't even use but some of them will address critical problems and exposures in the Operating System. Likewise, Windows anti-virus "signatures" are updated several times a week and unless you have the updates you are exposed. Same is true with AVG or any other anti-virus product.

None of this stuff is install it and forget it; it just doesn't work that way. Not even in the Apple world sad to say (though more so there).

eddief
11-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Home office, one desktop, one tech nincompoop. Will not pay for McAffee ever again.

Thanks

If your IT department is supporting IE 9.x and Mcafee, there are probably hundreds of other things wrong too. IE9 is years old. Mcafee is crapware. Mcafee pays Adobe to try to sneak it onto users PC's when they run an update for Acrobat reader and they pay PC companies to install Mcafee on new computers even when anti-virus software comes built in to Windows 8.1 on new computers. If you have access to to add/remove programs and uninstall Mcafee entirely. Use Chrome or Firefox if you can and keep them updated.

Go to control panel, Windows updates if you have access and look for pending updates. Just a guess but I bet you have hundreds of pending updates for Windows 7 that your IT department is clueless about. Many of them will update features you don't even use but some of them will address critical problems and exposures in the Operating System. Likewise, Windows anti-virus "signatures" are updated several times a week and unless you have the updates you are exposed. Same is true with AVG or any other anti-virus product.

None of this stuff is install it and forget it; it just doesn't work that way. Not even in the Apple world sad to say (though more so there).

dave thompson
11-11-2014, 09:46 AM
We bought a new computer for our house in Mexico. The very first thing I did once it was up and running was uninstall McAfee. Then installed Firefox. Then AVG.

vqdriver
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM
anyone else using microsofts's security essentials? it's free and well integrated into the background. i haven't had any issues with it, but then i don't really know what to look for other than if it's a resource hog like norton was.

fkelly
11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I've been using Security Essentials for years. I think they are merging and/or renaming it Defender and it is built into Windows 8.1. I just bought a HP laptop for someone else ... HP had disabled Defender and installed Mcafee. I uninstalled McAfee and enabled Defender.

I've seen benchmark articles where Security Essentials was not at the top of anti-virus packages in terms of detecting viruses. But, in the current world it is not PC viruses that pose the greatest threat. Hackers breaking into web sites and getting lists of emails, usernames, passwords and even credit card numbers is a greater threat. Phishing attacks where social engineering is used to get you to click on an infected link is another top threat. I'm happy with Defender ... really anti-virus should be built into the operating system in the first place and we seem headed that way. Better for everyone.

zennmotion
11-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I've been using Security Essentials for years. I think they are merging and/or renaming it Defender and it is built into Windows 8.1. I just bought a HP laptop for someone else ... HP had disabled Defender and installed Mcafee. I uninstalled McAfee and enabled Defender.

I've seen benchmark articles where Security Essentials was not at the top of anti-virus packages in terms of detecting viruses. But, in the current world it is not PC viruses that pose the greatest threat. Hackers breaking into web sites and getting lists of emails, usernames, passwords and even credit card numbers is a greater threat. Phishing attacks where social engineering is used to get you to click on an infected link is another top threat. I'm happy with Defender ... really anti-virus should be built into the operating system in the first place and we seem headed that way. Better for everyone.

I would never be online in an unsecure environment without some kind of VPN software that routes you through an alternative and anonymous encrypted IP server. I use Private Internet Access that seems highly rated but there's others. Traveling in developing countries as a consultant you're forced to use unsecured wifi, with not only personal data at risk, but in certain countries even Email and facebook can land you in trouble with the authorities if you're not careful. Plus I can skip Arab TV in favor of Netflix in the hotel room (normally blocked outside the US) 50 bucks a year is worth it compared to the potential cost of just one privacy breach

eddief
11-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Not sure why Explorer 9 was crazy slow and clunky, but the speed and near perfection of Chrome has been a godsend. For one who works and plays on the computer, this has been a profound change.

fiamme red
11-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Is it just my connection, or is Flickr down now?